This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

windolene

Very old window cleaning
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:33:23 pm »
Hi,

I would like to thank Windows_Chepstow for posting on my behalf items from my window cleaning collection which he is undertaking now. Please keep your eyes peeled on his posts.

Kevin.

rosskesava

Re: Very old window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 12:19:48 am »
Hi Windolene

Is the above about the old trade journals?

I've remember reading some of your postings (like the 'TV documentry') and some earlier ones and wondered why you hadn't posted more info on them.

I find papers like that such interesting reading. Especially as to how windows were cleaned pre squeegie days. I've searched the internet but only have found odd referances to windows being cleaned only by chamois.

Just how did window cleaning happen and what type of trade was is at the turn of the century (the last one that I'm still in).

Cheers

Ross

dai

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:25:40 pm »
I first worked as a wc in the late 1950's. Things have certainly changed since then.
We had never heard of sqeegys. We used chamois mops and scrim, these had to be washed frequently in cold water. the only  detergent used was dreft for the first wash. Nobody wanted to do shop fronts in them days, it's a lot of glass to cover by hand. The price for a standard council house was 2 shillings and sixpence, 12 and a half p in modern money. Mind you, you could by 2 pints of bitter then for the same money.
We would never, ever use scim dry, as soon as it started to get dry you washed it and wrung it out. I had segs on my hands like a navvey from wringing out scrims. After wringing we used to flap them about to try and get them just right.
There is nothing that has been invented since that can better damp clean scrim for polishing glass.
When we were rained off it was back to the bosses house making up new mops.
He used to buy a big bag of chamois bits and we would be using packing needles and theading bits onto parachute cord to make new mops.
In summer if the weather had been fine you could get away with using damp scim only. I was left on my own one day and earned the boss £2 17s 6d. That was 23 council houses on me todd using a damp scrim. My wages were only £3 a week. I resented that. No bonus either.
If someone was out, and that may happen twice a day at most, he sribbled a note on a ciggy packet.
 I was only 16 then but being a big strong lad was given the job as the big ladder man. I remember doing a third floor job on a busy sloping high street. The slope was too much to put the ladder up to the sill, so had to go to the corner, the ladder was open top. There I was perched on top of a 32ft ladder and these kids who were learning to roller skate came hurtling down the street, arms flaying like windmills trying to keep their balance. My ladder was the only thing that they could cling onto to stop their momentum. I reckon I broke the world record for coming down a ladder from three floors without falling.
I, those were the days.
 How long would you get now for sending a 16 year old up to 3 floors if he happened to fall?
I could tell you loads but the space on this forum is limited. Dai

gaza

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 07:51:51 pm »
very interesting Dai tell us more.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 09:16:42 pm »
Testing, one, two, three...

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:22:40 pm »
Right,

It's taken me ages; but I know how to post it.

Thanks to Kevin, AKA Windowlene for supplying the magazine!

My computer was also made the year the above magazine was produced; so I'm going to have a try at downloading all the attachments NOW; but Wor Lass is hurrumphin and siging at me being a sad case, on the t'internet all evening.

I wouldn't dare explain to her what I'm trying to do; she'd leave me!

Anyway, if I don't get this downloaded and on this site NOW, it'll have to wait till next weekend when she's away all weekend on some run in North Wales with her running club (probably having an affair - but as long as she doesn't spend too much - who cares).

So, bear with me.