This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MPJK

Make Hay Whilst The Sun Shines..?
« on: June 01, 2005, 03:49:09 pm »
Hi there

Having worked as a manager for over 8 years, at the beginning of 2005 I decided enough was enough and I would start working for myself. I’d had enough of earning a wage, yet ultimately always having to make decisions I disagreed with (too stubborn I’m afraid!!).

In less than 6 months I've managed to build-up a decent sized window-cleaning round.  Although I haven't reached the levels/targets that I need, I wondered if anyone out there could offer some advice on how to best utilise my time when it's raining???

Apart from paperwork, has anyone got any additional ideas regarding further business opportunities? 

The weather is obviously a constraint and so if anyone has got any thoughts ideas regarding ways to diversify/earn some moneys when it's still raining this would be of great help.  I don't know about everyone else, but apart from the odd commercial contract, I don't think it's wise to work in adverse conditions as there are too many risks to both safety and also reputation. Thoughts anyone

Cheers MPJK

TERRY AB

Re: Make Hay Whilst The Sun Shines..?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 04:11:30 pm »
I am in a similiar position to you, also started up recently.
I have started offering customers the following services,
which are not Rain affected: Driveways/Patio cleaning,
Gutters, Facias and Soffits.
In the Rain its not as much fun as in the Sun, but Jobs
pay well and are easily arranged on Rainy days.
Also use the wet days to poke out plenty of Leaflets; use
the reverse side for you added Sevices.
I use the reverse side oy my "Please pay me Notes" to
advertise the above mentioned and am having a reasonanle
responce.

MPJK

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 04:38:40 pm »
Some good ideas worth checking-out, especially the services to be included on the "pay me leaflets"

You're right, no-one likes to work in the rain, however today is a classic example...I'm keen, got lots to do....but the weather prevents me!!  Reference patio cleaning - assume you've invested in a pressure washer etc?

Cheers

MPJK

matt

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:41:18 pm »
either people who want the insides done (get a phone number and explain you will give them a bell on the next rainy day)

or as above

fascia's and gutters, i have a list of 9 who want them done, all on a waiting list from thsi year

MPJK

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:39:43 pm »
Cheers Matt.  I'll check this out also.

MPJK

s.hughes

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 06:23:22 pm »
I agree with Matt. I only do the inside of windows (those who dont have it done regular and always ask for it on the hottest day) on rainy days. I havent had one customer complaint about that. Mind you I now only stop work when it is really raining hard and I have also found that nowadays people are a lot easy going.

Steveyboy

TERRY AB

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:51:55 pm »
assume you've invested in a pressure washer etc?

Yes, you can get a good pressure washer (petrol driven) for around 150,..
on ebay, advantage of PETROL is that you only need water from customer.
Can also be usefull for blasting out the Gutters of Conservatories and the
ornamental Tops of the same.

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:22:23 pm »
Carry on working if its light rain and not hitting the windows.
I work until it hits the windows then i stop but i have often used this time to put out as many leaflets as possible.
Also i now only do gutter cleaning when it's raining as i have enough to do when it's not.

Paul

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:42:13 pm »
I work until it hits the windows then i stop

I agree but when it realy comes I tend to knock off have a rest, then when the weather improves get back to it refreshed, if need to I start a little earlier and finnish a little latter.
I've found over the years by trying to do many things I make less than focusing on one item and doing it fast and well.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 07:59:11 pm »
I work until it hits the windows then i stop but i have often used this time to put out as many leaflets as possible.
Also i now only do gutter cleaning when it's raining as i have enough to do when it's not.

Paul

The best gutter cleaning job I've ever done was in mid-winter a few years ago.  I did it on a bitterly cold day.  The only tool I needed in the end was a claw hammer.  Water had been trapped in the guttering and the whole lot came out in a few long icicles.  Easiest gutter clean I've ever done  :)  .  Glad the customer wasn't around as they may have wanted a reduction in price.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 08:51:14 pm »
I don't think it's wise to work in adverse conditions as there are too many risks to both safety and also reputation. Thoughts anyone

When I first started; two and a bit years ago; every customer seemed very precious and I didn't want to risk loosing them due to cleaning in the rain.

However; because of this forum (many windows cleaners here work in the rain), and as the size of my round increased; so did my confidence to just get stuck in and clean almost what-ever the weather is.

I just think that the worst thing that can happen is that I lose a customer.  Big deal! 

Leaded windows I don't clean in the rain and certain 'precious' well paying accounts I don't clean in the rain. 

I don't work in heavy rain, but it rarely hammers down all day.  I clean in anything from a drizzle to a light to moderate rain, but truthfully, spending a whole day soaking wet (like I did today) doesn't flick my switch; therefore I finished slightly earlier than I planned.

When I knock for the cash, I give a big grin and don't even mention the weather.  Sometimes neither does my customer.  They just think it's normal I think.

I've had the odd, very rare comment and lost a couple of customers, but so what?

This week so far and forecasted is:

Monday - Off because of bank holiday.
Tuesday - Good weather - worked.
Wednesday - rained off and on, mainly drizzly - still worked.
Thursday - forcast for similar - will still work
Friday - forcast showery - will still work.

So if I didn't work in the rain I'd have lost two or three days, that makes four with the Bank Holiday.

Therefore that'd mean I'd only have worked one day this week if I didn't clean in the rain.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 09:06:48 pm »
I take the veiw that as we work six days a weeks any rainy days are usually 'days off'.

Having said that today we worked in the drizzle and the on and off rain only because they were customers who'd been put off 3 times already because of previous rainy days.

Sometimes though we'll go and look at new jobs etc or deliver a few leaflets. It all depends on how many days previously had been lost due to the weather.

Tuesday last week we couldn't work so I took every thing out or work vehicle and had a good sort out and a hoover.

Last Saturday we couldn't work (resindentual work - it was too windy) either so we done a few commercial jobs during the morning that were due and then had a lazy afternoon.

Cheers