Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

New to all this - Will I make a living
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »
Hello all,I'm new to this forum and the carpet cleaning industry.

I have completed the NCCA course and a course at Cleansmart,with the view to start trading as a carpet cleaner.I intend to buy some equipment and do friends and families carpets to gain the experience and confidence before starting to trade part time whilst keeping my job on for the time being.

My big fear is that I wont be able to generate enough work to make a living.That said I dont want earn mega bucks.I have done local research and there are about 10/12 cleaners - including Chem-dry franchises who advertise in the local Thomsons and only 2 in the local press.

I realise that markting is a big thing in the cleaning business but do you experienced guys think It's worth while giving it a go?

Thanks for any advice.

derek west

Re: New to all this - Will I make a living
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:55:56 pm »
fill in your details and you'll get a better responce.
derek

davep

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:20 pm »
You will be suprised how much you need to turnover in order to make a decent living  :P

clinton

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:22:13 pm »
Spot on dave with that and its funny how some dont think that way ::)

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29:01 pm »
Wayne,

Always difficult for the first couple of years and ideally a little put by to help you through the quiet times always helps, My advise don't get disheartened if things are not going as well as you hoped , stick at it, market and sell yourself and your service and in time , Yes you will earn a decent living if not an excellent living , certainy than most who are in a mundane basic job.
Out of interest, What did you do before ?

derick is right about filling your profile out, c/c do get a little worried in case you are in their area ;) so wont advise ;)  Maybe Derick is concerned ;) :D   I do believe plenty of work is available even if you have lots in your area, I have loads in mine and some of the best around yet we are all mates, its not a problem.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

richy27

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 04:45:58 pm »
CC is very difficult business and is not your average model. how much do you need to live on is the big question. i feel in the first year it is important have enough working capital to give you a cushion and to give you the freedom to try and experiment with dif forms of marketting whether they are direct or indirect.  good luck though and it is irelevant how many cc s in your area produce the correct image have the correct personality and you will sell your service and rest will follow

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

How do I fill in my details.

For those who asked I still work in my job at the moment in the printing industry - not a very good trade to be in at the moment or for the last 5 or 6 years actually.I need to get out ASAP.I currently work shifts so I thought that initially I would do cleaning part time when not on a shift to try to get established.

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:12:20 pm »
You'll get a different reply from almost everyone as there are no fixed rates or rules or standards to guide you.

Working part time is totally different from running as a full time service where your customer comes first as you intend to get repeats and referrals from them.

The equipment at start up is less important than the person using it. The vast majority of carpet cleaners started with portable machines with most upgrading to more powerfull portables and maybe 10% opting for truck / van mounted machines.

Your budget will determine what you buy to start off and how well you get on

Try out as many machines as possible as you will find what apeals to you is very personal and it's not always about power.

There's a lot on here about chemicals and again you have to find out what works for you some are stuck on traditional chemicals while others will tell you to go for the latest technology.

The customer wants CLEAN CARPETS end of story.

gwrightson

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:22:09 pm »
Working in the print industry,

What an ideal opportunity to get yourself a few thousand leaflets printed/ business cards and any other advertising paraphernalia.

Geoff.

ps.  might be worth working out a price for different leaflets to show the members here , you may get a number of orders
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

wayne zabel

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »
The problem is I don't want anyone at work to know of my intentions and so will be getting printing done elsewhere.I do know that you can get full colour printing done these days at stupidly low rates due to over capacity and low demand.Thats why the trade is in the brown stuff at the moment.

colin thomas

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 06:55:09 pm »
i think you have done every thing right at the moment, training is an excellent start and you're going to buy the equipment, get the very best you can afford, it does make a difference. part time is good to start with but there comes a time when you have to make the break and go for it, i know people who tried to keep their day job and clean part-time and they never could 'build' their business and they have gone back to the 'day job', it's a pain but you really do need some money in the bank so that you can go through quiet times while building your business, it's a 24hr a day job, you don't clock off!!!!

colin
colin thomas

Gary Webber

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »
Wayne,

The first thing is you need to be 100% committed to it! The people who "try it for a while" never make it. You next need to discover what makes you stand out from the other 100's of carpet cleaners. In short, find your unique selling point.

Set yourself up with logo'd van workwear and look professional. The training etc will all help, but it will be HOW you market yourself that will ensure you make it!

Regards

Gary

kinder clean

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 06:41:51 pm »
At least there isn't much competition in your area, Clinton will tell you the same.  ;D

Paul

clinton

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:49 pm »
Paul

You mean the carpet cleaners graveyard ;D

Paul W Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »
Starting any new business or venture in the current climate will not be easy.  This is only my second year and I quickly learned that work is not going to turn up on your doorstep just because you've started carpet cleaning.  The thing with this industry is that you can start up with a relatively small capital outlay so you tend to get people just 'having a go'.  You've done the training so you're already one step ahead of a lot of your competitors out there.  Advertising is critical.  You need to get your name known and that's not quick or easy.  You also need to focus, primarily, in providing a quality service for your clients; you'll be surprised at how good word of mouth is.  Saying that, mess it up and the reverse is true!  Like any new business, give it your best shot and concentrate on it and you'll start to see work come in.  I don't think it's something you can do in your spare time though as you'll very often get jobs that need a quick response.  If you're doing your 9-5 you're not going to be able to do that.  Best of luck though!

p.s. I hope you experienced guys don't mind a newbie like me putting my two penneth in!!

derek west

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »
Starting any new business or venture in the current climate will not be easy.  This is only my second year and I quickly learned that work is not going to turn up on your doorstep just because you've started carpet cleaning.  The thing with this industry is that you can start up with a relatively small capital outlay so you tend to get people just 'having a go'.  You've done the training so you're already one step ahead of a lot of your competitors out there.  Advertising is critical.  You need to get your name known and that's not quick or easy.  You also need to focus, primarily, in providing a quality service for your clients; you'll be surprised at how good word of mouth is.  Saying that, mess it up and the reverse is true!  Like any new business, give it your best shot and concentrate on it and you'll start to see work come in.  I don't think it's something you can do in your spare time though as you'll very often get jobs that need a quick response.  If you're doing your 9-5 you're not going to be able to do that.  Best of luck though!

p.s. I hope you experienced guys don't mind a newbie like me putting my two penneth in!!

i couldn't of put it better myself, excellent advice. ;)

APPLEMAIDCLEANING

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 06:14:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

How do I fill in my details.

For those who asked I still work in my job at the moment in the printing industry - not a very good trade to be in at the moment or for the last 5 or 6 years actually.I need to get out ASAP.I currently work shifts so I thought that initially I would do cleaning part time when not on a shift to try to get established.

Might get some orders off here!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

email me prices

clinton

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 06:22:47 pm »
Good post paul as your still new to the game and least you have a web site up etc.

Pauls got it spot on with his post.

Its all about focusing on your full time set up and hard work :)

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 06:26:47 pm »
When you are not wanding you should be marketing. That (especially) includes tea time. ;) :)

slioch

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:49 pm »
Good advice given here from all the guys.  I would add a couple of points about competence and expertise (rather than business management and marketing).
Firstly - you have done some training (probably more than your competitors) but it is just a start.  Look out for technical days and roadshows run by NCCA, Woolsafe and the suppliers.  Go along and don't be shy - admit you are new and people will want to help.  You will also see some real experts and pick up tips. 
Secondly - when you have been at it a few months or a year, go on another accredited course (NCCA or IICRC) and you will realise how much you have still to learn.
Thirdly - try to get yourself a mentor who has experience and knows what they are talkling about.

Best of luck.