This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

Drop-Man Work and Estimating
« on: May 24, 2005, 11:13:08 pm »
Recently a post was made concerning dropmen from New York.  Very interesting.  I would love to talk with someone who does this. 

Anyone here doing it?  How in the world do they estimate their jobs?  I know where to get all the equipment, the things I need to know is their method of dropping...If a crew of just 2 cleaners can do it...and how to price the jobs.

What do you folks know about it?

Thanks!!!

Marc

Jonathan Adams

Re: Drop-Man Work and Estimating
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:37:40 pm »
Hi Mark

I have been cleaning windows using ropes for six years, we are known over here as abseilers or RAT's (rope access technicians). Estimating is done by working out how many windows you can comfortably get whilst on a drop, then working out how many drops there are. Estimate how long each drop will take then times that by the total amount of drops, you then know how long it will take so you can apply an hourly rate. We always work in pairs, there are many ways of anchoring your ropes, eyebolts, structrual steel, portable anchors, cradle rails. If you are looking to carry out rope access then get the proper training, we are all IRATA trained.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 03:16:29 am »
That makes a lot of sense.  Are RAT's successful at charging a higher rate than usual due to the hazards involved?

Jonathan Adams

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 04:08:22 pm »
Hi Marc

Yes, the costs are far higher, insurance, equipment, testing, training etc.

Jonathan