This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jonnyald

ladder spikes- what can go wrong?
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:18:57 am »
im thinking of buying some for my longer ladders. maybe even on my short set .  but whats these half-spikes ?  and  whats the worst that happens with them.?  how sharp and do they muck up decking ?

clean

Re: ladder spikes- what can go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:21:45 am »
Why do you want spikes on your ladders?
PK

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:22:59 am »
Cant help you mate, but there was a post on here yesterday where I was asking similiar questions, the ladder had spikes on the base and was stood on a patio, whats that all about?

jonnyald

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:38:12 am »
Why do you want spikes on your ladders?
PK

im thinking they might stop me worrying about a ladder slip. on my 9metre ladders i get a mate to foot them,but i often think  footing looks good but isnt much cop (is that true?)   /these spikes  ,,once theyre blunt ,do they slip on  regular concrete paths and such?.  my ladders all have the rubber feet and  have never slipped ,i was just wondering if  spikes are more pro   if left on all the time

clean

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:16 am »
If you are worried about slipping and falling then why not get a small wfp set up like a backpack for those higher windows, "what`s more important ?"
PK

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:51 am »
So, if oyu have spikes on your ladders feet is that what they rest on when you use the ladder on a patio??

R W C

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 10:01:01 am »
So, if oyu have spikes on your ladders feet is that what they rest on when you use the ladder on a patio??

This is what I dont get, I cant see spikes on concrete of any sort working.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:11:06 am »
Unless they rotate round when you dont need them and then when you work on grass swivel them round so they stick into the grass, otherwise bit of a circus act really.

4Seasons

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:23:47 am »
I've always had spikes on my ladders ever since I started in the 90's. (I'm mostly wfp now).
  I would only ever feel safe with spiked ladders, as they have never slipped in any conditions.
  The spikes I use I have made at a sheet metal place, they fit flush to the back of the ladder.
  They feel more secure as all the weight is concentrated on the small point. You can work on grass at any angle without worry, or even on the treacherous pressed concrete drives.

Actually just once did my ladders slip, it was on concrete flag stones which the customer had painted over with some gloss paint, nothing would have stood a chance. But as the ladders slid backwards and down the wall with me gripping the top . . .. the spikes stopped them slipping any further as they hit the gap between the slabs!

I'll try and post a picture of my spikes if you like.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 10:43:24 am »
hi there the old window cleaner iv bought the round off always used spikes since 1985 when he started the round put mitts on the top as well he says ,safe as houses only fell of once on varnished decking :o as already pointed out theres a safer way wfp its the rout im going to go just wfp top traditional bottoms with A frame now thats safe as houses ;) just hope i dont lose to many custies.

matt

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:56 am »
ref the spike on patio's

i thought the same thing yesterday, BUT

after having a think about it, they would be great to fit between the slabs, of course they would work if the slabs didnt have the beveled edge ( the bigger slabs that the builders use are just square edge )

matt

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 10:50:20 am »
hi there the old window cleaner iv bought the round off always used spikes since 1985 when he started the round put mitts on the top as well he says ,safe as houses only fell of once on varnished decking :o as already pointed out theres a safer way wfp its the rout im going to go just wfp top traditional bottoms with A frame now thats safe as houses ;) just hope i dont lose to many custies.

when i took over all my work, i found the customers were alot more accepting of the WFP if i used it just upstairs, they can understand the safety asspect of it upstairs, now downstairsare done wfp, BUT thats after a few years of them seeing that the upstairs results are not that bad

ryanst1982

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 10:51:06 am »
Pole King, if you have someone footing your ladder properly, your going nowhere so wont need anything.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:07 am »
  in a poll on here 35% had had falls from ladders stan the man was one of them and he uses spikes so while im sure thay are good not 100% safe. another thought is way the manufacturs/suppliers dont fit them as standard ie spikes/mitts

dd

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 11:28:26 am »
I've used spikes for 20 years. Have to watch for making holes in tarmac, when it is hot or on less robust tarmac. Not often a problem though.

clean

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 11:39:14 am »
Pole King, if you have someone footing your ladder properly, your going nowhere so wont need anything.
But what if you hav`nt ?
PK

EZclean

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
how come not many know what they are or use ladder spikes.?

matt has just got the point ( ::)) with spikes. they always go between the gaps of slabs, cobbles, gap in the decking, gardens with big pebbles or slate pieces. block pave drives. grass..... i used to climb almost horizontal on some jobs,  how about this. ICE ! bang the ladder down hard onto the ice and the spikes dig in. (extra care needed obviously)

work on the principle of PSI, like a stilletto i s'pose.

full spikes are about 2-3" points
half spikes or flat spikes are thin and wide taper like the ones in the dog muck thread
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

Mike #1

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 01:32:15 pm »
i use ladder saftey feet suction cup type then for wet lawns i have a thick piece of ply board with 4" nails thourgh it all over then a another strip of wood screwed into the top of that at the back to place feet against dimensions are about 16" x 8" works a treat and can easily be carried with bucket if trad

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 04:45:23 pm »
spikes?i use normal ladders with the standard rubber feet.i do use the rojak ladderstopper tho quite a bit but if decking or mossy patios i use a TRAD pole and all second storey windows.ican do windows above conny roofs and porches even skylights with an angle adapter.all without WFP.DONT NEED WFP TO REACH AWKWARD WINDOWS tho i will invest in WFP cos i think it could be faster than TRAD pole
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »
oh by the way ladders WILL NOT SLIP ON GRASS spikes or no spikes
price higher/work harder!