This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

fez

Registering your business name
« on: November 28, 2003, 11:44:58 am »
I've been window cleaning under my own name for over a year now but I have decided to give my business a proper name to sound more professional.
What I wanted to ask is do you have to register your company name either locally or nationally somewhere?
I did an internet search and found a couple of companies that do it for you for around £60 per year. Is it crucial that I do this as it sounds an awful lot of money for not much really.

Any ideas out there? ???

andy

Re: Registering your business name
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 02:37:55 am »
Dont go down that path! just phone up inland revenue to register the name. They will tell you how things will work, ie:- self-employed stuff,insurance stuff,tax stuff. They will also send you a big pack to rad through which is really helpful.

THEN!

make sure your insurance cover is on your company name.

ANDY.

fez

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 10:35:16 am »
Thanks for the info, that really helps!

I thought that it was strange that you had to pay a company to do it for you. £60 a year was a lot for nothing. :-[

highwash

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 01:39:32 pm »
sensible info from andy. - a quick, easy and cheap way to prove when you started trading under your new name is to send yourself a letter stating your intentions addressed in your trading name ASAP. postmark will be proof of date.
plenty of other free info available from your local business link

kilimanjaro

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 03:40:31 pm »
if you want to become a limited company (probably not a good idea for most window cleaners) you'll have to register your name with companies house. This may be the service that the companies you found on your search were selling.

STEVE71163

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 06:51:58 pm »
Hi Fez,
         I may be wrong but if you are a sole trader i dont think you need to register a name ??? I think it is just common sense to check that no one locally is using your name. I think that is why most people incorporate their own name in their company name .

Steve Lowe

andy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 10:33:30 pm »
Very true steve! but he said he wanted to give him self a name.

Anyway fez, when you want to go limited all you have to do is check the companys house records on the internet for your company name. If not use give them a call and pay a little fee to register.

They will ask questions and you will have to provide information on a regular basis.

ANDY!

If you need any more help just give me a shout.  ;)

fez

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 12:06:53 am »
Thanks for all the advice, what these internet companies offer is protection of your business name, i.e. to stop other people from using your name("passing off" is the term that they use). What I really wanted to know was if it was really necessary to do this but I seem to have the answer I was hoping for - I won't bother. I'll just inform the Inland Revenue of a change in name.

Oh, and I'm not going limited.........yet! ;D

paul

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 10:48:00 pm »
ive just gone ltd but beforwe i was just trading as reflections cleaning services all your bank and account does is put your real name trading as whatever you call your company its as simple as that  

STEVE71163

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 10:56:41 pm »
Hi Paul,
          Who do you use to insure your guys (Employer Liability)  ???

Steve

Fox

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 05:19:21 am »
Are you sure you don't want another 10 companies out there with the same name as you?

Or have to stop using the name you have got because someone else registared it?

Soz to put a dampner on it - but hey it happens - doesn't mean you have to pay through the nose to get the name registared though!

simonb

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2003, 09:27:51 pm »
You register a name to protect yourself from others using it.
Your name needs to be of value such that others would want to use it.
You also need to maintain the name so annual fees.