This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Totus

One Van 2 Men?
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:45:42 pm »
I'm going WFP soon looking to get a static system and 2 vans on the road one for me and one for my brother who's just come on board. I'm a bit concerned about the cost involved since i still need about another £2k of work to cover the cost of running the vans, resin, water , insurance plus any loss of work during the change etc. I'm confident I can get the extra work in by the start of next May BUT wondered if i'm missing a trick here but spending too much dough when I could save some.

Does anyone work/or tried one van with 2 operatives, can't say i've seen many but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I would appreciate both positive comments  :) and horror stories :'(

Cheers 

R W C

Re: One Van 2 Men?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:54:25 pm »
1 van for 2 would be better till you takea 3rd person on

Carey Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »
One van two people - but you need to have two varistreams, pumps & DI's other wise you have flow problems - you should be able to get through as much work as you would if you had two vans

mci services

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:45:19 pm »
i work from one van with a lad, he does the rear of the property with a backpac on a trolley and i use the static van mount, it works really well as i dont have to roll out as much hose and get caught up on everything. he has water containers to refill the backpack

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:01 pm »
Me and my step brother ran 2 poles from one pump/varistream for about 6 months... no problems
You can't polish a turd

prestigeclean

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:52:47 pm »
2 vans with 1 man each will do more work than 1 van 2 men , but you will have increased costs , personally i work 1 van 2 men which works for me as i now have to go to work each day because i have wages to pay , i miss being lazy sometimes , lets face it its so easy to make an excuse not to work in this job , since i,ve started to take the job sreiously the money has increased dramatically regards alan

LWC

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:12 am »
Me and my step brother ran 2 poles from one pump/varistream for about 6 months... no problems

Snap, you dont need 2 of each, i did this in my old van. Remember...all your doing it getting pure water up to window...its not rocket science.

R W C

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:41 am »

Snap, you dont need 2 of each, i did this in my old van. Remember...all your doing it getting pure water up to window...its not rocket science.

handy to have backup, trust me i know

PCNW

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:53:23 pm »
Get one van - Keep expenditure low then once you have generated ashflow inthe business look to expand

Totus

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 02:03:41 pm »
PCNW - What size system should i look to get, was thinking about 650l? Will this cover one days work with 2 men working 9-5 or do i need a bigger tank?

PCNW

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »
I dont use Wfp but my brother had a 650L and we used to get 4 pumps working for around 4hours on a low water flow -
Your better getting a reply from more experienced Wfp cleaners

Lee Pryor

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »
we run several vans, with 2 man teams.

most of the day we share a pump which is fine on regular cleans but all our vans do have two.

If you can go for 1000L tanks in the vans.

dont bother with multiple DI filters in the vans if you are going to get a static system (which i would advise that you do) then buy a bigger Di vessel going into your static.

1 van or 2, well the advantage of 2 is that you can both take one out and be in 2 places at once (this can be very use full) but then its more to run. Remenber you would have the extra capacity to take on more work, if this is all something you are considering to do now then I would get one van now (as we are heading into the winter) and the other in the spring so you have the best bit of the year to push hard for growth.

Hope that helps

Lee Pryor

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Totus

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:44 pm »
I'm currently doing about £330 a day (trad) me and my brother, used to do £200 a day when it was just me but have noticed a 2 man team doesn't double your days earnings.

Just wondered what the difference would be WFP on the days earnings between 1 van each apposed to sharing one. Please note that to currently earn what i've put above we work from 8.30 - 5.30 (£37p/h) And yes i am totally shot at the end of the day! :o

WFP - 1 VAN 1 MAN £......?
WFP - 1 VAN 2 MEN £......?

Cheers!

Steve CM

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:18:19 pm »
i have 1 van with 1 man and the second van with 2 men. We can only manage 50-60% more work on the van with 2 men than we can with the man on his own

Totus

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:23:51 pm »
i have 1 van with 1 man and the second van with 2 men. We can only manage 50-60% more work on the van with 2 men than we can with the man on his own

So the percentile is about the same trad to WFP with 2 men apposed to one - Interesting! As long as can get about £400- £450 a day done with the two of us when we're up to speed i'll be happy. ;D

Cheers Steve

Steve CM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 06:44:57 pm »
no worries

MoemGorod

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 11:50:45 pm »
Hi all.

We run 3 vans with 2 man teams.

Every van is equiped with 2x500L flat tanks, 3 pumps (2x 100psi SHURflo and 1x 150PSI Flojet for the 4040 RO, 2X RF Controller and 1x AutoFill Controller, 2x 30ft SL-X and 1x 70ft SL2, 1x 44ft Baudoin Indoor&Outdoor WC kit, 1x Vikan EasyShine, 2x 100m minibore hoses, Webasto Water and Air Heating System, 1x Unger Soap dispenser, 1x Inline TDS-meter.

Sometimes we use RO-DI cart.

Regards, Vadim
www.MoemGorod.com - WFP supplier in Russia & CIS
www.MoemGorod.ru - WFP WC in Saint-Petersburg

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 08:56:53 am »
I find working with 1 van & 2 men works well but you need more than 650l cos we find we will run out by mid afternoon so have to go back and fill up

you do need to remember that although you can double up on the amount of work you can do you will not speed up on writing slips or traveling between jobs or getting the kit out of the van or putting it back again this will still take you just as long

waynebarry

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 02:30:51 pm »
im in the same situation, I have just taken a new guy on and are trying to work out whether its best to stick to one van or go down the route of two.
I feel I have enough work for two vans but its whether is cost affective to put another van on the road, whats your thoughts?

Skyglide

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:15 pm »
The other thing to remember is how the customer percieves the job.
One man one van means a regular job to them. Two men on the job and it's seen as a splash and dash, the wife tells the husband and he objects to paying for such a fast job.

We only go two man if we are behind and on catchup, and explain to the customer why the unusual faster job. Maybe one or two cleans in the year so no mutterings from the customer.

One man is responsible for his own efforts when lone working, which keeps everyone happy.