This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

maggie67

An excellent electric steam iron!
« on: May 14, 2005, 01:04:27 pm »
I would like to invest in a really good quality steam iron.

I have heard that the ones which you purchase to add on to a general steam cleaner are not great but I know you can get some fantastic electrical steam irons, one recommended to me was polti. Can anybody out there recommend one I can purchase, ??? it need to be light enough to transport to clients homes. Ideally a brand and model no. would be good. Alternatively if you can tell me of any that you certainly would not recommend I would be grateful too!

Also any discount suppliers that you know of who stock these would be great. Every penny helps!! ;D

Many thanks

Maggie :)

Jan K

Re: An excellent electric steam iron!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:02:16 pm »
Hi Maggie!

I use the Rowenta Expert Steam Generator (at home only) which cost me a bit over £200.00, but it is really good. The only disadvantage I find with it is that after every 10 irons I am supposed to wash through the generator tank which entails connecting a hose to the sink tap and the other end of the hose to the generator then turning the tap on for about 1 min and flushing out the tank. Pain in the rear for me as my tap is an awkward shape.

The other thing I find sometimes with the Rowenta is that when you first press the steam button to get the continuous steam flow going it occasionally spits out some lovely rusty coloured water.......probably not right (but this post has reminded me to email rowenta and query it).

However having said all that, I wouldn't be without mine, is cuts ironing time by up to half (depending on how creased clothes are). Bear in mind tho you will need to invest in a mesh ironing board (if you haven't already got one) as the amount of steam generated by these irons will undoubtedly leave your ironing board cover wet and your board rusty if it is a solid board.

Also remember to have a squirty bottle of water close by in case you iron a crease in by accident as these irons don't have the water squirt option!!

I have found on occasions, especially with t-shirts, that I need only iron one side as the steam pressure generated automatically allows the b-side of a T to be ironed.....most impressed!!

Tefal ones are good, look for one with the highest amount of grams per minute and high bar figure. Some of the better ones are about 3.5 bar and up to 150g per min..... ;D
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

micsampip

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:47:04 pm »
 :) Hi, I know this is slightly off the mark but I thought I'd tell you anyway.

Many, many years ago I worked in a sewing factory and they had a fantastic gadget for steaming shirts or tops.

It was a manikin. You put the shirt onto the manikin and pressed a button. Steam would shoot out and hey presto - the shirt was ironed.

If anyone was serious about ironing this would be the perfect gadget to buy!!

Lisa  ;)

Jan K

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 05:26:28 pm »
Hi Lisa!

I've seen thise on TV...quite funny to watch ;D
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

maggie67

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:00:32 pm »
Hi Girls

Thanks for your input! We have a 'shirt laundry' in town and this is exactly what they use. It is imported from Italy. They make an absolute fortune and each shirt takes about 2 minutes. The  owner demonstrated how it worked. Amazing - but I bet it cost an absolute fortune

julieg

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 04:48:05 pm »
Hi

I have a Tefal pro express, sounds very simillar to the rowenta, I also get discoloured water from time to time. I find that when it needs cleaning it does spit out discoloured water, or if the temparatue isn't set correctly (unsure if the latter is correct, could just be coincidence) but once it gets cleaned ( ie attaching hose to tap to flush out limescale from the tank).  I think the iron is very good but its still not what I am looking for. They are certainly more powerful than the average iron though. However I want to cut down the ironing time at least by half.

I am going to get a demo from from one of those pressure steamers you are referring to. My friend who worked in retail swears by them, they are about £450 or so. If they half the ironing time then I think if you are going to develop your ironing service then its worth it, time is money and all that. The rep works for Morplan which you can find on the internet. 

I actually don't offer ironing on site, i collect and deliver, leaving more time for the girls to clean.   

Rgds

Julie G

maggie67

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 07:43:04 am »
Hi Julie

Just wondering - if you collect and deliver do you charge by the item or by the hour? If the latter then personally I get the girls to do it insitu & feel it would more cost effective than have to bag it up transport it home & get it back again to the client ? But would like to hear others perspectives on this.
Thank you

Jan K

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:18:02 am »
I kill lots of birds with one stone, generally.

By ensuring I am on site to do the ironing, I can keep an eye on the girls while they clean, or chat to the Client if they come back or are around.

I am planning on leaflet dropping in areas I am also working....although keep saying it, haven't done it...yet!! :o

If I take it away I charge a 20p per mile travel fee!

Works for me at mo, and keeps my hand it too!!

Jan

julieg

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 10:56:19 am »
Hi Maggie,

I charge per item, £1.49 for shirts/blouses and £0.99p  for tshirts, but this does include VAT and delivery as well as staff costs of course. I run it separately to the cleaning because not everyone is good at ironing. I employ a young mum who does it from her home, I provide her with iron, packaging etc. Some people just want ironing and not cleaning and find that the delivery and collection service suits their needs.

I take your point about keeping an eye on your staff, but if you want to expand then you probably will eventually withdraw yourself from doing the ironing anyway won't you.

Rgds Julie

Jan K

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 04:03:46 pm »
Hi Julie!

Agreed I will need to step away from the ironing at some stage, but I keep doing it at the mo cos I enjoy it. My mum has offered to iron for me, as she is good at it (hence why I am) and I don't insist on my girls doing the ironing if they don't want to.

Changing the subject slightly, I have just taken delivery of my steam press (Domena SP4000) which I have only tried out on t-shirts (great), trousers (again great), and shirts (not so great). Can any of you out there give me some tips on ironing shirts with a steam press, without getting loadsa creases in the sleeves. And how on earth are you supposed to iron the collar and yoke?

Can't wait to give it a good old try out on bedding! ;D

Cheers guys!

Jan

maggie67

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 09:54:39 pm »
Thanks for your replies girls!

I am so busy at the moment altho' musn't complain. Must be the weather. Hope you are all keeping busy too & counting the pennies. Even busier tommorrow!! For those of you who aren't - enjoy the fantastic weather & don't give a thought to those of us slaving away with a vacuum cleaner in one hand and mop in the other! ::)
Take care
All the best

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 08:30:45 am »
Know nothing about ironing but was watching a steam press sales pitch on Ideal World.

I think they sell this product regularly and Yokes and Collers looked easy so it might be woth trying to find out when they plan to sell this product next.