Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

Re: slx poles
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »
surely the better idea would be to have the weaker material in the clamps, as these will wear and be cheap enough to replace

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 08:12:35 pm »
surely the better idea would be to have the weaker material in the clamps, as these will wear and be cheap enough to replace

Spot on matt.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »
HOT TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! how long has the slx been out and what is the longest length of time someone has used one overall , full report please

I've had mine sinse it's original release (about 18mths I think, maybe Alex could confirm?) I use it every day for everything & it's still going strong. No clamp issues, no exsessive wear issues etc. I ditched my carbon facelift in favour of the sl-x, which is sat in the shed & only gets used once a month for a hotel which the sl-x doesn't reach as mine is the 25ft model & the facelift is 44ft.

I clean the pole hose each time I put it back in the van (if required) & have only taken the pole apart & flushed it once in all this time (although I would recomend you do this more often). The point is, the sl-x, for me has not required any more care or maintaning than my facelift pole.

For me the sl-x was a no brainer, much more productive & easier than the facelift & a genuine all in one pole!
Top product. ;)

Same here, I've had mine since launch and I've looked after it really well, wiped the hose in between jobs, and wiped down the pole at the end of the day, sometimes under a running tap. Now and then a bit of silicone spray on it, but don't do that often.

Result? Almost no wear whatsoever.

Plus, I'm using a pole hose tidy now, and there is basically zero wear since I've used that, I don't EVER get dirty hands anymore, not even a tiny bit. I wish I used that since launch now, because the pole would have been spot less. If you keep the pole hose clean, and your hands clean, you basically don't get any wear.

If anyone doubts that, Alex mentioned it was the least worn SL-X they had seen so far. Maybe that has changed since then though!

I am very tempted to get the new clamps fitted though, I have to admit.

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »

I think this is the way to go, and would like to purchase spares when i order another slx. Having looked at the link for kits there is a mk 1 and a mk 2.Does that mean the current pole is designated mk3?

While agreeing with some of the criticisms of the pole mentioned by pingu etc i have been very impressed and do think that as product development goes alex has done well with so few prototype designs/mods.Threads like this where users can give feedback can only be a good thing long term-and short term tetchyness is surely a small price to pay.

Earlier alex said  'As has been said the tolerances between sections are very close, which enables the ground-breaking combination of low weight, rigidity and compactness. '

And for me that sums it up.

What hose tidy do you use? two hooks on the pole? doesn't that add to weight?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »

I think this is the way to go, and would like to purchase spares when i order another slx. Having looked at the link for kits there is a mk 1 and a mk 2.Does that mean the current pole is designated mk3?

While agreeing with some of the criticisms of the pole mentioned by pingu etc i have been very impressed and do think that as product development goes alex has done well with so few prototype designs/mods.Threads like this where users can give feedback can only be a good thing long term-and short term tetchyness is surely a small price to pay.

Earlier alex said  'As has been said the tolerances between sections are very close, which enables the ground-breaking combination of low weight, rigidity and compactness. '

And for me that sums it up.

What hose tidy do you use? two hooks on the pole? doesn't that add to weight?

Yes, technically the new range is the Mk3 version.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:36 pm »
Slumpbuster,

This is the pole hose tidy that I'm talking about, it's made by purefreedom, can be ordered in black.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLE-HOSE-TIDY-WATER-FED-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING_W0QQitemZ250411813698QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item3a4db50b42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It does add a little bit of weight to the pole, but not really that much, certainly not enough to make me consider taking it off.

Edit:

Here you go, made a little thread on it a while ago.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=71836.0

pingu

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 04:36:50 pm »
update 27.08.09 clamp of pole section 3 came loose after around 10 days total use...these bonds are failing and look like there is very little bonding agent on them...think I will remove all the clamps and fit them so they do not come loose in future.

Did'nt realise the SL-X mk3 was a DIY pole.

Cheers Dave.

suds window service

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »
the pole needs better clamps full stop!

p1w1

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:25 pm »
after using mine for a month now i have also taken all the clamps off and re glued them as they all came loose have to agree with the last post the pole does need better clamps..

paul

Rob.Hall

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 11:39:28 pm »
Best clamps I have used is the x tel ones.

They dont stick out so no snagging.

They are easy to adjust and dont seem cause any probs.

trevor perry

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »
Best clamps I have used is the x tel ones.

They dont stick out so no snagging.

They are easy to adjust and dont seem cause any probs.

got to agree with you on that one they are good clamps
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

pingu

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
I have had the MKIII SL-X from it's release date and each week I spilt the pole, wash it down and give it a little spray of silicone. Today I have really noticed that on the top 2 sections(most use)  large area's of the ribbed carbon surface has worn away in vertical lenghts around 10mm width... very smooth indicating wear...at such an early stage :o

Anyone else have similar? or anything else?

I sometimes 'feel' that I am in some sort of beta test program..I'm sure that is not the case....

Despite the very good customer care program that Gardiners have...if there was a better product out there I would buy that and drop the SL-X in a heart beat.

Cheers
Dave.

concept

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »
for the money, that simply isn't good enough.

looks like i will have to keep waiting til the 3.5 model comes out!

pingu

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »
To all...please do not take my posts as a 'vendetta' against Alex or Gardiners...I am just at the stage after having to pension off my MK1 sl-x after 14months use (no longer servicable). So now a little less star-struck I am just posting as I 'see', no agenda..just plain observations...as I would with any tool that I buy.

Respectfully
Dave.

ian1972

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »
its a tool so should have varied responces otherwise design would never move forward would it,anyway still a good pole just niddely bits as with anything

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
To all...please do not take my posts as a 'vendetta' against Alex or Gardiners...I am just at the stage after having to pension off my MK1 sl-x after 14months use (no longer servicable). So now a little less star-struck I am just posting as I 'see', no agenda..just plain observations...as I would with any tool that I buy.

Respectfully
Dave.

I agree, sort of. I am still star struck with the slx and it has been a revelation. I also agree with your critisisms.

This pole makes my job so much easier and saves me a lot of time and money. It's brilliant.

As to the clamps, well they do catch, and the cams can also catch and stress fracture, and the lock nuts can fail.

I'm pretty hamfisted and clumsy, and add to this that if you are used to using cam levers on mountain bikes you do the things up as tightly as you can. This is wrong. This pole is designed to grip the sections and hold them in place with only minimal pressure.This concept has taken a lot for me to grasp, and i think alex has become sick of trying to explain it.

I have bought another slx and couldn't even think about not using one now. Those of you out there putting the purchase off because these ' delicate  clamps, cams ,and locknuts' shouldn't.

The poles work advantages more than outway any shortcomimgs. This pole will make you money.

pingu

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »
I have to admit I am finding that I like the clamps in the sense that only a little 'bite is required..and that I find so refreshing and easy.

Dave.

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »
You didn't ask me, but one of the earlier guy's mentioned bridging, and not getting the ladders off. I would say this saves me three pounds every time and it happens three times a day.So my argument is the pole 'makes' me nine pounds a day and recoups it's own purchase price inside two months.

Now that's what i call a bargain.

mark dew

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »
I agree it is about making our working time as profitable as possible. Even a saving of just 10 minutes a day, 4 days a week, is worth the best part of £1K a year. Based on £30 per working hour.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2009, 11:15:00 pm »
A telescopic pole will show signs of wear from day one. It's called friction & impossible to avoid. That first day glossy look of any carbon pole will soon wear off. BUT, this isn't a sign of the pole's life span, rather just a natural occurance. MY MKI slx "looks" well worn & has done for ages, it doesn't affect how it works for me, as it does every day.

Do you think the discs & pads on your van still look like new after a few miles? but they still work as good.