This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

concept

merlin-restrict waste?
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
just messing around with my merlin, until i take a leap of faith and get a hf5...

by putting my finger over the end of the waste, and restricting the flow, the system sounds like it stops gargling air, and the tds comes down from 60 to mid-30's...

just a thought, would this help me long term by fitting a flow restrictor to the waste?

GWCS

Re: merlin-restrict waste?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »
just messing around with my merlin, until i take a leap of faith and get a hf5...

by putting my finger over the end of the waste, and restricting the flow, the system sounds like it stops gargling air, and the tds comes down from 60 to mid-30's...

just a thought, would this help me long term by fitting a flow restrictor to the waste?

it will put increased pressure on the membranes, so will reduce there life long term, but in the short term you get a better TDS to attack the resin with.

Now which is cheaper long term? Replacing membranes or reducing the amount of resin you use.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:41:23 am »

I restrict my merlin waste with a small tap fitting.  It increased the TDS from 006 to about 016 over several days.  It stayed there for ages but has climbed in recent weeks to 027 (I have low pressure).
I only restricted the waste because it flows into a ditch and there were complaints about mosquitoes.  The place isn't mine so I don't have full control over how things are done.
I'm surprised that your TDS reduced.  I would have thought that the opposite was true.  Membrane life will be shorter but I have had to weigh that against the hassle and expense of finding somewhere else for my setup by being non-compliant.

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:30:47 am »
were are processing your water at , I have a long irrigation hose for my waste from b & q waters the garden nicely , and makes me feel a bit better about the waste water