Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jim_77

Workshop day at LTT (pigmented suite restoration)
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »
Hi chaps :)

I might have the possibility of taking a pigmented leather suite up to LTT to have it restored.  It probably needs a mixture of cleaning, stripping/re-pigmenting/finishing etc.

I'm looking at these possible dates, subject to LTT's availability: Tue 18th or Thur 20th.  If not then the week after some time.

Does anyone fancy joining me for the day?  A contribution to LTT's charge will obviously be needed.  The place would be open to 2 or maybe 3 people.

Any takers?  those who have my number can give me a call, otherwise jimnealuk@gmail.com :)

Jim_77

Re: Pigmented leather resto at LTT
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »
Got this confirmed now for Tuesday 18th August.

3 places are available for this workshop day, at £75 each.  The day will be spent working on a pigmented leather suite which needs a mixture of cleaning and restoration, to deal with certain issues and bring it back up to a high standard of finish.

This is fantastic opportunity for someone new to leather restoration to learn how it's done.  You'll be in a very small group (4 people), learning from one of the industry's leading leather restorers!

mail me at jimnealuk@gmail.com if you're interested 8)

Ricky M

Re: Worshop day at LTT (pigmented suite restoration)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »
Jim , I was wondering why do you want to go LTT to do pigmented ? thought you were well up on it . Just a freshener or is there new products on the market ?
would of jumped if it had been  Aniline, semi , nubuck , suede 
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

derek west

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:52 pm »
as a franchisee, will this be going through the books or is this a bit of a sideline for ya jim?
mums the word ;)
derek

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »
Everything above board, as always Derek ;)

Ricky I'm not a leather expert, hence this hands-on day and then some official qualifications to follow.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »
There are a few Servicemasters that do leather renovation, I quoted against one for a leather clean and repair in Doncaster luckily I got it, not sure where they came from I know it wasn't South Yorkshire but may be close on.

Shaun

derek west

Re: Workshop day at LTT (pigmented suite restoration)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:54:19 pm »
so how does the add on work for franchisees then, do they pay for there own training and then stil give the franchisor a cut of there earnings, or what?
derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »
In a word yes I would have thought because you are trading under the name so Servicemaster Leather Restoration comes with a trade mark or recommended or something like.

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:23 pm »
It's just another job :)

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:13:29 pm »
Only 2 places left

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:18:14 pm »
This is a great opportunity to learn a lot in a real world environment led by a master craftsman. Andy is a qualified IICRC instructor and an excellent teacher.
It's a bargain at the price and the least you will learn is how to safely clean pigmented leather and carry out minor repairs probably a lot more.
If you go...............take a camera and try to take notes

Matt Lindus

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26:36 pm »
Very risky this leather lark if you ask me. I will give you an example.

If we don’t get a CCTV, Ariel or Alarm Installation correct and it doesn’t work. We back trace our steps to find the fault, if it turns out to be a faulty product we send it back to our supplier for a refund or replacement. If it turns out to be a mistake with the installation, then we simply put it right.
What I am trying to say is that if things go wrong the only thing it will cost us is the labour time to put it right.

A five grand leather sofa on the other hand. If the repair goes wrong and more damage is created, the worms start coming fray from the can so to speak. :o Getting the job done correctly is a craft that takes time, and even with the fine craft perfected can you be sure it will be a lasting repair?
The risk of this industry should be incorporated into your pricing and that should be high.

Matt

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:48:05 pm »
The bog standard pigmented is difficult to screw up. You can always start again. If you run the colours on a fabric suite you are stuffed.

Joe H

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 07:07:05 am »
Less then 2 weeks to the one day very practical course.

Jims in (obviously),   I'm in,    for £75 grab yourself a bargain. Not very often you get courses for £75 per day.

murky

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:54:32 am »
Matt,

Dont know why you are so pessimestic about it.

Have you been on the course then and are you talking from experience or merely sniping from the side with out any real experience?

Go and have a look see and you will be amazed at what Andy and the team do, you will be doing the work with a pro in the right conditions, and if you screw it up you can do it again.

Simple really.

Murky

Bob Robertson

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:09 am »
If you drill through a water pipe or an electrical cable when installing alarms etc, then that can also be costly.you can find a negative in most things.

Bob

Joe H

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:38 am »
I'm no good up ladders so aerials and sat dishes are out for me.

Stick to carpet and upholstery inc leather cleaning.
Did Furniture Clinic restoration course 2 summers ago so the LTT day will be a great refresher. Am sure I will learn a lot.

Jim_77

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 11:55:48 pm »
One place left!

robert meldrum

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:35 am »
Agree with you there Joe otherwise I wouldn't be paying someone else to climb up a ladder to clean our house at the moment.

If I look down at my feet I get dizzy !

Jim_77

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 11:36:16 am »
All places gone.

Might have another one coming up though ;)