This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

baldeagle

Irritant?
« on: April 28, 2005, 02:40:41 pm »
Has anyone found the soap that we use to be an irritant?

I was OK for the first few weeks on this job, then found that over the last 3 or 4 weeks that I was getting a nasty rash down the sides of my finger nails.

Being a left-hander, I also noticed that it was much worse on the left hand.

I've now acquired some "El-cheapo" disposable gloves, (say's on the box that they are "ambidextrous", but in spite of that, I find I can manage to use them on either hand!! Lol!).

Rash gone!

I'm using SYR "Glimmer-clean", by the way, and I intend to try another brand when this lot's used up.

Any comments, Ladies and Gents?

Baldeagle in (Sunny??) Staffordshire.
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Re: Irritant?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:23:15 pm »
Irritant!  I thought this post was about Graham Ghoul.

Ahem.  Yes, some people, like myself have skin that is intolerant to detergent.  I would say I've 'sensitive skin', but because I'm a Geordie, I don't want to sound soft!

Just prior to Christmas my hands were really badly cracked, extremely dry and almost stopped me from working.  See your GP.  They'll issue you with a high-content hydroquorasone cream (but probably spelt a bit differently) and a good quality emolument cream.

Then, use rubber gloves (you can get them from any hardware shop - buy Xtra Large) and cotton inners (you get these from boots).  Buy three or four pairs of inners, because when your hands sweat, they get wet.  Just keep on changing them for a dry pair.

It takes a little getting used to, but now I feel strange cleaning without them. 

Oh, I've also got suntanned arms and white hands.  But my hands are in good nick!

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:18:20 pm »
Hi Baldeagle

I use a waterproof barrier cream made by Rozlex and it does the job. It also stops dermatitus and all those itchy things which I used to suffer from. It stinks a bit but it does the job.

I did use rubber gloves untill one day these ladies in an office gave me a jar of vaseline and then fell about laughing because to start with, I didn't get the joke.  :-[

Cheers

matt2323

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:56:48 pm »
can someone tell me if the pole system is more profitable than a ladder and squeegee

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:11:21 pm »
Irritant

We have a few on these window cleaning boards that tend to   Irritate  me

you know who you are  ::)

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:14:03 pm »
GG4 comes with a warning that its an eye irritant.

So are soaps.

Get it?