Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

advise please- car engine oil
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:58:07 pm »
I cleaned a 3 piece suite this week  the only mark i could not remove was a line of dirty engine oil (customers son came in and sat down with overals on} it is about 4 inches by about 1/4 inch wide. As customer told me she had sprayed and scrubbed this stain with everything she could find under the sink (vanish etc) i explained i might not be able to get it out before i started the clean. the suite is 60% poly -40% cotton mix , approx 10 yrs old, in very good condition.pattern is sort of stripy,red,green and white. I used microsplitters no2 and no3 spotter and eco spotter on stains. the suite has cleaned very well - apart from the oil. my customer is very pleased with result and said not to worry about oil as she did not expect it to come out. The advise i am asking for is should i leave it as it is  as it has been over a year since the oil got on to suite or should i try something else to remove it and risk making it worse? mick

neil 47

Re: advise please- car engine oil
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:34:40 pm »
hydramaster blitz
IICRC

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:52:06 pm »
eco spotter

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 02:54:14 pm »
Hi,

I would try white spirit on a cloth , rubbing gently , then rinse detergent/MS and if that doesn't work a 15 minute soak with an enzyme product might work.( Make sure you extract very thoroughly to remove the enzyme so it does not cause a dust problem.)

Cheers,

Doug

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 03:16:26 pm »
I'm not an expert at stains but I would start with POG (paint oil & grease), rather that attack it with everything I'd test it with a cotton bud until I found something that showed some transfer of the stain onto the cotton bud.

Steve she already tried ecospotter.

Niel have you had success with Hydrammaster blitz on engine oil? I thought it was just a heavy duty T/L/C

Doug, will enzymes have an effect on mineral oil?, I thought they just worked on animal products ( proteins, fats etc)

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

stevegunn

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 03:33:13 pm »
Mike sorry did not read post correctly watching football in between looking at computer

Doug Holloway

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 04:03:35 pm »
Mike,

I'm not sure whether Lipases would break down engine oil or not.

Worth trying though ,

Cheers,

Doug

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 04:59:59 pm »
A&M,

It seems likely that the oil has already been attacked with sufficient gusto - what remains is probably largely a carbon deposit.

Though Eco Spotter will often remove this, I would try Prochem A217 Ultrapac Renovate, applied fairly warm (not hot), lightly agitated, given a dwell time of at least 10 minutes and re-agitated prior to extraction with an acidic rinse.

Remember that the pre-test will require the same dwell time

neil 47

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 07:37:57 pm »
I did a cream carpet where engine oil had been trod in tried everythin m/s,eco, gels, the lot .
I had a sample of blitz in the van so tried id very carefully flushing well after use.     oil gone

Neil    ;D
IICRC