This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

D.Salkeld_Ltd

BACKPACK - Best for domestic.....But!!
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have a good Domestic/light commercial round and have used a Backpack for nearly 3 years.  Nothing else, backpack and pole and away I go.

But......

I have set it up right.  I NEVER lift the backpack up onto my back.  I have it mounted at Back height on the back of my trailer and just back up to it, strap on and away I go.  To fill I have a 250ltr lay flat tank with a 12volt 1000gph bilge pump and it fills in 20 seconds.

And......

The Sureflow Backpacks are not good enough for our purposes!!
So, iff you a considering buying a Backpack, I would advise you consider an Omnipole one.  They have an 80psi pump and a diferent controler.
Iff you already have a Sureflow and want to improve it.  Consider the following:

1.  The charger supplied is useless - go and get a good auto charger that delivers NO more than 1 amp.
2.  Get a spare battery and rip the one off the mount so you can have one on charge and one in use.
3.  When the pump packs in (Which it will!!).  Go to Cleantechs and get one of thier Delavan Pumps.  Same as the sureflow but has bearings in the motor and not bushes.
4.  When you have connection problems on the battery conectors then just cut out the connectors and use spade connectors directly to the battery.
5.  Lastly.... when the controler packs in (and it will!!) then replace it with just a rocker switch!  OK the pump is going full belt but you get a cracking wash a far quicker working and, I am sure I use less water!!  But the battery doesn't last all day so I carry a spare with me ( I have 4 Battaeries!!!)

So, to sum up:

1st.... Try an Omnipole Backpack

Iff you need to improve a Sureflow then

1. Replace the charger
2. Get a spare battery
3. Replace the pump from Cleantech
5. Throw out the controler and put in a switch and spade conetors to the battery.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

macmac

Re: BACKPACK - Best for domestic.....But!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:07:16 pm »
Or, to save even more hassle, buy a van, tank & 80m microbore! ;)

Hi Dave.

Tony

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »
Hi Tony,

With respect, I tried it for a week........................Drove me up the wall.  Miles of hose all over the place.  One or 2 bigger jobs I did do marginally quicker but I still love my Backpack.

Hows you, Tony?
Not Perfect - But Honest

windowswashed

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:50:56 pm »
David, some very good tips you posted. Do you wear your backpack whilst you're cleaning windows or do you position it in the ideal spot and use an extra length of pole hose as an extension before your pole to reach around the houses with out the neede to move the backpack? Reason I ask is because I sometimes use a wcw backpack on awkward, inaccessible (van mount), houses with enough hose to reach around half the house and move backpack once.

jouk45

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:16 pm »
you just cant beat the backpack, if Organized properly you dont need anything else, backpacks are always improving, look at wcr backpack, 85psi pump enough power for any height, ok there is an issue of refiling with water, but then van mounts need to park then unleash metres of hose then reel it back in, so i think we are both equal in time wasting, but we both still get the job done  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:04:54 pm »
I had one of the first five backpacks in this country from Omnipole at a cleaning show 6 years ago I think. Main reasons I hated using it was because the on/off switch is underneath (ridiculous if backpack is left on the ground instead of worn on the back) and throwing a full backpack over my shoulders was awkward to say the least.

Bought Window Cleaning Warehouse backpack and a big improvement. Noticeably the carrying handle is built into the backpack which makes it much more practical. The on/off switch is in a more practical position and the pump only has one speed which is full on.

Use to hate using 18litre backpack (worn over back), but love using WCW new 15 litre (built in handle) backckpack. It serves it's purpose of saving me time where a van mount isn't suited to certain jobs.

outdoor restore

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:15:34 pm »
I have a 500L van mount (well pick up mount actually) but have to agree I find the WCW backpack a superb bit of kit. On a lot of jobs it is just easier to use the back pack than reeling out the hose. Some jobs I will do van mount front and use the back pack for the rears.  I reckon it definitely saves me time.  Be interested in details of the bilge pump you use as at present I carry a couple of 25L cans to refill the backpack.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:30:29 am »
Everyone will probably know I am not a great believer in the backpack, but from a suppliers point of view they do sell, and a hell of a lot of them. 

What I want to know from people who have tried them and didn't get on with it, and the people who use them all the time. What is the main disadvantages of using a backpack?  I used a backpack around 9 years ago, and as soon as I got the weight of my back it was a hell of a relief.

For the backpack users.  Would you like to get the weight off your back, but the advantage of having a self contained unit, at a very affordable price keeps you using, and buying them?

For ex backpack users, people who have tried them and didn't get on with it.  What would you need to see on the market to give something like a backpack another go?

Thanks guys for any replies.

Peter   

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:46:49 am »
Everyone will probably know I am not a great believer in the backpack, but from a suppliers point of view they do sell, and a hell of a lot of them. 

What I want to know from people who have tried them and didn't get on with it, and the people who use them all the time. What is the main disadvantages of using a backpack?  I used a backpack around 9 years ago, and as soon as I got the weight of my back it was a hell of a relief.

For the backpack users.  Would you like to get the weight off your back, but the advantage of having a self contained unit, at a very affordable price keeps you using, and buying them?

For ex backpack users, people who have tried them and didn't get on with it.  What would you need to see on the market to give something like a backpack another go?

Thanks guys for any replies.

Peter   
Peter please call me I have a brush of yours that you need back.

Ian
p.s I have emailed but nothing back as yet, for people reading theres no problems at all with Peters gear, just a thing between us.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:50:51 am »
OK Ian,

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:19:43 am »
Hi Peter
We have used a backpack for odd Jobs for over 2 years now, I removed the control board and extended the wiring added it all into an IP box and fitted it to the straps on top of the backpack, we don't carry the backpack we use a trolley, the switch being at the top enabled us to use it without having to tilt or lift it to switch it on and off apart from weight issues this has to be a major headache  each time you put it on the floor the chances increase of damage to the switch.

How about a backpack that keeps the switch off the floor and out of any puddles maybe some built in wheels for those that want to use them and a collapsible handle,  in other words a backpack that is a backpack but can be converted into a small trolley system for us weeds that would sooner trolley it about.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 06:16:48 am »
Hi Peter
We have used a backpack for odd Jobs for over 2 years now, I removed the control board and extended the wiring added it all into an IP box and fitted it to the straps on top of the backpack, we don't carry the backpack we use a trolley, the switch being at the top enabled us to use it without having to tilt or lift it to switch it on and off apart from weight issues this has to be a major headache  each time you put it on the floor the chances increase of damage to the switch.

How about a backpack that keeps the switch off the floor and out of any puddles maybe some built in wheels for those that want to use them and a collapsible handle,  in other words a backpack that is a backpack but can be converted into a small trolley system for us weeds that would sooner trolley it about.

something like this  www.rocketspray.com

ftp

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:18:51 am »
Sounds like you lot need a strong version of an airport suitcase type of thing. Built in wheels (servicable) with a strong extendable handle for towing. You then have the option of pulling a trolley or backpacking it. What does your average suitcase hold? Twenty kilos? they seem to work ok but are a little flimsy. I personally wouldn't use one 'cos of back issues, but there are times when a hose is a right pain in the backside.

jouk45

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 09:29:13 am »
hi peter, the only issue mainly for me is refilling, i dont think that is something we can get around, but as jeff said built in removable wheels, would be perfect, switch built in at the top, and how about this, the same pump can be used as a  transfer water pump from the backpack you could ad some kind of hose divert from the pump itself  rather than picking up the water container, a switch with forward and reverse, now that would make a great backpack, o and must have a pump with over 60psi at least

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:06 am »
you just cant beat the backpack, if Organized properly you dont need anything else, backpacks are always improving, look at wcr backpack, 85psi pump enough power for any height, ok there is an issue of refiling with water, but then van mounts need to park then unleash metres of hose then reel it back in, so i think we are both equal in time wasting, but we both still get the job done  ;D

The main problem with a backpack is lifting it on your back and filling up.  But, as Jo has pointed out, this can be sorted out.
Also if you are contract Window Cleaning on large commercial jobs then, as Windowwasher says:
"its like trying to clean a 20ft high building with a 1ft ladder"

My statement is:

Backpack used on your back and set up properly is ideal for domestic/ light commercial window cleaning

I was just trying to kelp out with the problems with particulary the Sureflow Backpack.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

matt

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:53 am »
Sounds like you lot need a strong version of an airport suitcase type of thing. Built in wheels (servicable) with a strong extendable handle for towing. You then have the option of pulling a trolley or backpacking it. What does your average suitcase hold? Twenty kilos? they seem to work ok but are a little flimsy. I personally wouldn't use one 'cos of back issues, but there are times when a hose is a right pain in the backside.

the largest weight on transatlantic flights is now 23 K, i saw a old couple who had packed all there stuff in 1 large plastic suitcase, they were turned away and told to go and buy another suitcase and split up the contents

if was amusing to see them argueing that the suitcase was ok to use in 1997  ;D i guess they never did any homework, why should they

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:36:16 am »
hi peter, the only issue mainly for me is refilling, i dont think that is something we can get around, but as jeff said built in removable wheels, would be perfect,

Hi Jouk, surely the wheels wouldn't have to be removable to put the thing on your back? And if you had a trolley that was easy to carry when you came across and obstacles then you would never need to put the thing on your back?

switch built in at the top,
What about the switch built into the brush?

and how about this, the same pump can be used as a  transfer water pump from the backpack you could ad some kind of hose divert from the pump itself  rather than picking up the water container, a switch with forward and reverse, now that would make a great backpack, o and must have a pump with over 60psi at least

I agree with a decent pump, but what you suggested I think would take too long to fill the container.  Wouldn't it be good with all of the above points covered if you could just swap over the water container, like people already do with a trolley?

Peter

matt

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:39:38 am »
you can buy a 12 V 14 L sub pump for 15 quid, put in barrel and fill up your back back in 1 min

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:01 am »
hi peter, the only issue mainly for me is refilling, i dont think that is something we can get around, but as jeff said built in removable wheels, would be perfect,

Hi Jouk, surely the wheels wouldn't have to be removable to put the thing on your back? And if you had a trolley that was easy to carry when you came across and obstacles then you would never need to put the thing on your back?

Peter

Removeable wheels stop the dirt off the wheels getting all over your clothes, specially dog do and its easier to clean them. Have tried it. 
www.rocketspray.com

jouk45

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »

switch built in at the top,
What about the switch built into the brush?

and how about this, the same pump can be used as a  transfer water pump from the backpack you could ad some kind of hose divert from the pump itself  rather than picking up the water container, a switch with forward and reverse, now that would make a great backpack, o and must have a pump with over 60psi at least

I agree with a decent pump, but what you suggested I think would take too long to fill the container.  Wouldn't it be good with all of the above points covered if you could just swap over the water container, like people already do with a trolley?

Peter

yes good point peter, i use the autobrush i forgot about that one  ;D i meant to say flow control switch,
and jeff brimble took the words out of my mouth about explaining the removable wheels, mud, dog poo ect,