Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon@arenaclean

Pump it up? 500 psi so how do you....
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »
Ok been using twin 3 stage vac machines for years with 135 psi pumps, Alltec pro plus for the last few years and it has and still does serve me well, even the grottiest black top.

Having never used a machine like the scorpion, perfect heat, or tricked out Ninja with these monster pumps how the hell do you recover the water? Ok the scorp has 3 vacs I get that but the other twin vacs how do they cope? What's the max psi you run at? Do you change jets, if so what size? This has interested me for sometime so thought i'd ask before I immerse myself fully in the scorp V perfect heat V raptor V ninja etc etc. Or am I not missing out.

Your thoughts welcome ;D

Simon

Darren O

Re: Pump it up? 500 psi so how do you....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »
I went from a Prochem Powermax 120psi to a Raptor 300psi and the difference is masive you do leave the carpets a bit wetter but your a lot faster to and usually only need a quick pass with the wand when spraying the solution most of the time i use 250psi and find thats more than enough.Another thing with bigger pumps you seem to get a lot more problems with them well i did with my Raptor.

Darren O

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »
Also meant to say the wand that came with my Raptor has smaller jets and you get a finer spray from it.

JS2

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
This is not a direct answer, but a good few operators use the pre-spray, aggitate and dwell and ph neutalising-rinse technique.  In theory this contrasts to a large, high impact liquid deposit that must be swiftly recovered.  This 3-step method is naturally slower than a high-psi blasting technique followed by strong vacuum, but can, if applied sensibly, result in relatively low residual moisture and a very good clean.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »
Its a fact that the more water you put down the more you can recover. Doesn't really cause any wetting problems.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »
This is not a direct answer, but a good few operators use the pre-spray, aggitate and dwell and ph neutalising-rinse technique.  In theory this contrasts to a large, high impact liquid deposit that must be swiftly recovered.  This 3-step method is naturally slower than a high-psi blasting technique followed by strong vacuum, but can, if applied sensibly, result in relatively low residual moisture and a very good clean.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

Pete that's what i've been doing for eons. Take today 3 beds, hall, landing stairs, dining room and lounge. I do a lot of work for a holiday cottage company and they get pretty bad still a good job done but with pre vacuuming, furniture moving and using the above process took about 6 hours. Are folks with these high flow portables able to work that much faster. If I was using a scorpion or perfect heat could I save a couple of hours. I was home by 4pm but if it makes me more efficient would I be home by 2pm  ;D If it saves me 30 minutes I don't really need it. Mind I suppose on pub carpets the pressure must be a help but on the wooly I did today ???

Do you folks use the same method as me, or do you pull up, fill up, clean up and go and get the right results. An insight into the method of cleaning you use would help.

Thanks for the comments.
Simon

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »
I have a Speedster with a 450psi pump and a Ninja as a backup machine with 135psi.

However I've only ever cranked the speedster up to 300 and leave it on 200 most of the time....yet I can move the wand far faster for the same cleaning ability than the ninja which equals less effort, more yardage more money.

Seems to dry just as quick as the ninja, your only reason not to get one is the initial cost.

Darren O

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:52 pm »
That shouldnt take anywere near 6 hours to do that when i start a job the first thing i do is fill up the porty put it on preheat then go and vac then prespray then aggitate with carpet brush then extract with hot water then put down a fan to speed up drying.Bigger pumps come into there own when doing heavily soiled carpets and the hotter the water the better.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:19:03 pm »
Thanks Darren. So would you use high temp/pressure on wool or high wool content or twist piles. I reckon an hour per room soup to nuts is about right. I confess I am not a rocket but can work up a sweat when roused, oh that did include 30 min break for lunch, or is lunch for wimps ;D

Thanks
Simon

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 11:20:21 pm »
I have a Speedster with a 450psi pump and a Ninja as a backup machine with 135psi.

However I've only ever cranked the speedster up to 300 and leave it on 200 most of the time....yet I can move the wand far faster for the same cleaning ability than the ninja which equals less effort, more yardage more money.

Seems to dry just as quick as the ninja, your only reason not to get one is the initial cost.

Direct comparison, thanks Mike

clinton

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:41 pm »
Mike

You prefer your speedster to the ninja then ???

The ninja at 135 psi aint to bad :)

Darren O

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 12:18:36 am »
Simon are you saying you cant clean a wool carpet at 250psi with hot water your having a laugh or then again if it takes you 6 hours to clean the above your probably not.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 12:28:28 am »
I love these posts, it's like a game of "Top Trumps"! Who give's a damn? As long as you're not using a RD, undercutting or giving us hard working C/C's a bad name by doing a poo job, you'll do for the customer!!!! And you'll do for the trade!!!

Gordonnis

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:28 am »
Too right  well said !

clinton

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 08:36:39 am »
Think we all have our way of cleaning  ???

Some clean on low psi some on high and as long as we get the same results :)

No point with a clean at over 200 psi if the cleaner does not know what there doing :o

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:53 am »
My 2p worth,i have a Prochem powermax with a 120psi and not the 70 psi it came with,did a job yesterday for a lady,just lounge and hall,she knew her onions,and told me her dad did carpet cleaning for 30 odd years,and then her brother left the building trade,and started up,both of them used truck mounts !
She was a little bit dubious when i unloaded my machine,and asked if it was going to be up to the job.
Of course i said,seen and cleaned much worse than this.
Cleaned as normal,got great results,custy over the moon.Moral of the story is ,it`s not all down to the machine,but how you use it,and attention to detail  ;D
What goes around comes around

Darren O

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:41 am »
Got a phone call yesterday fom a customer wanting her carpets cleaned she asked me if i used a hand hed cleaner i said what do you mean she said i dont want one of those machines you bring into the house i want the ones you use from your car i tried to explain about high powered portables but she was having none of it.

Fraser Thom

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:09:56 am »
I agree with your post Mark - Although the power of the porty/truckmount is a factor, surely the most important thing is a thorough vacuum followed by using the correct pre-spray with enough dwell time and agitation. 

I've not been doing this job all that long but, in that time, I've been amazed by the number of customers who popped their head round the door before I've even extracted and said "Wow, what a difference.  It looks great!"

Fraser

clinton

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:27 am »
Fraser

Just think of what they would say if you had done it with a t mount ;D

Fraser Thom

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 10:19:22 am »
Clinton - The way my prochem powerplus is behaving it'll be going in the bin soon.  I've not had it a year yet and it's been nothing but trouble.  Replacement pump, the in-line heater broke down, it's had water dripping out at two different points, wonky wheels. Rubbish

I think it must have been a "Friday" machine!

Fraser