This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

thewindowcleaner1

Does this apply to Domestic premises?
« on: March 23, 2005, 09:47:15 pm »
Hotel Prosecuted After Window Cleaner Falls
The Savoy Hotel, owned by the Savoy Group was fined £6,000 plus £16,000 in cost after a Window Cleaner fell 4o feet. The Hotel pleaded guilty to charges under the Health and Safety at work, and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations for failing to manage risks to its window-cleaning contractors
(Article taken from "Window Talk" several months ago)

Does this principal apply to domestic premises ???
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Re: Does this apply to Domestic premises?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:57:54 pm »
I don't believe it does.  I've read somewhere - can't remember where (but it'll come to me) - in a goverment document that commercial premises have certain obligations to fulfill with regard to their window cleaning contractors; but domestic were exempt.

I'd 'Google' for it now, but Wor Lass says it's bed time.  Aw, it's only ten 'o clock!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:59 pm »
Early to bed Early to rise
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Duke

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 10:02:16 pm »
I use Copernic....a really good free multiple search engine.....but she's probably right...I'm off after Dolph Lundgren get's it sorted out......

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:02:17 am »
hi there,

the principal applies everywhere,

if you are  a cleaner and provide a cleaning operation to a person irrespective of who they are, you are enterring into a contract, that can be a written or implied contract.

you as the supplier have  "a duty of care"

to carry out the work professionally and correctly including, the health and safety side.  therefore if the worst were to happen then there is always a possibility however remote of action.

and rememeber we unfortunately are living in a more litigatious society every day of the week, that is one of the reasons why it now takes so long to GET ANYTHING DONE.

even the Sky tv installers, will not go in the loft space any more.

regards

martin

stevekennedy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 11:58:50 am »
The Savoy was under obligation to provide a safe working environment under current legislation. Householders are not.

However, the new WAHD, due April 6th 2005, will definitely apply to houses and will place a big burden on the contractor  :'(.

If we cause damage to the customer, their family, pets or property as a result of not following the guidelines we will not be covered by our insurance and will, like the Savoy, face a huge settlement.

Unless you have £50,000+ spare cash then better look at your Health & Safety policies.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 04:03:37 pm »
The Savoy was under obligation to provide a safe working environment under current legislation. Householders are not.

However, the new WAHD, due April 6th 2005, will definitely apply to houses and will place a big burden on the contractor  .

If we cause damage to the customer, their family, pets or property as a result of not following the guidelines we will not be covered by our insurance and will, like the Savoy, face a huge settlement.

Unless you have £50,000+ spare cash then better look at your Health & Safety policies.

Hi Steve, what you are saying is under the new legislation the supplier is responsible for providing a safe working environment.

If an accident occurs at a residential property and a window cleaner is injured, the window cleaner has no come back against the householder.

No problem there, if during the accident, he injures a third party, thats when problems arrise.

The simple way around this is to supply a copy of your health & saftey policy to both customers and insurers.

If they accept your policy and you work within your own regs the blame can't ever be yours.

stevekennedy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:26:25 pm »
Hi Stuart

I agree with everything you've said. We also have to insist that the customer abides by your policy. I.e. Doesn't wander about the garden near the ladder/pole while you're working, keep pets indoors etc.

If we see them flouting the arrangements we have to insist on them following it or else walk off the job. Otherwise the law will say that we had opportunity to prevent the accident.

First thing they teach you in H&S courses is "Health & Safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility".

It's a hassle but there it is.