Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

craigp

Re: I give up
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 08:45:15 am »
Very good post Goldfinch.

To add to that with dommestic I believe a customer will value your service less if you are cheap. Like this:

"Wow thast carpet cleaner did a great job of my lounge, and it was only £35.00!" (quickly you are forgotton)

or

Wow that carpet cleaner did a great job of my lounge, I can see why he's expensive!" (you are valued and remembered)

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »
Martin 606, Collins post have been deleted (by me) because there is doubt to his identity, not because of his opinions. he is entitled to his views, but no one should be allowed to lie and mislead other posters. we are supposed to be here to help each other

as moderator we try and promote a healthy, harmonious atmosphere for all to share ideas and advise,  
if its hounding, bullying, &  harassing  to ask someone to fill in their profile or prove who they are, then I'm guilty

Mike,
Regarding Colin,

In what ways has he lied and mislead this forum.  Do you actually have proof, because if you have not, they are pretty libelous words to use. 
I have read his earlier posts and can not see much wrong with them, other than he says what he thinks - as do many on this forum.
If there is a valid reason to ban him, why not divulge the reasons, so that we are all clear on this. 

In one sentence you say "as moderator we try and promote a healthy, harmonious atmosphere for all to share ideas and advise".
In the very next sentence you then state that it's ok to Hound, Bully and Harass if it suits.

I have only been posting on this forum for a very short time, but I have now realised why so few people actually bother to post.  It seems that some people are only willing to accept their own view and not willing to give anyone else's a hearing.  A forum should be about debate, lively, yes but always in a courteous manner and with respect.  I think you would get a lot more posters if this was the case.

In fact, I think some people replying to posts have not even properly read the posts that they are replying to.  Come on Guys, give everyone a chance - Even the down and out lying drunk in the gutter has his story!!

Jim G

www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

The Great One

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »
Hi

Jim, Fair post.

I could not be who I say I am, that picture could be from anywhere and not even me, should I also then be deleted?

As far as I saw, Colin was not being argumentative, rude, cocky, swearing etc, although other people are and quite often and yet this is tolerated.

Colin only said what he felt and in an honest manner, just because he has his own reasons for not giving out his personal info, that is his freedom of choice, he may be a very private person, I never said I was EnviroDri for a couple of years, i am therefore also guilty of not divulging info about myself, should I then be deleted?

Just because some people doubt his identity does that make them truthful and Colin not, are they being 100% honest just because they have put up a name and maybe a pic, is it the place of a moderator to Hound, bully and harass anyone to put up a profile which at the end of the day could be completely false.

Also where in his posts has Colin lied, can we see proof of said lie, no putting up personal info does not constitute a lie.

We should help each other, of course, but you cannot force people to divulge info they do not wish to, we then become a dictatorship by ordering people to do and we feel they should, it should be each individuals choice as to how much info, help & advice they wish to give and how involved they wish to be.

Regards

Martin 8)

Disclaimer:  Not feelings were meant to be hurt either intoned or intentional during this post  ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:40 pm »
why is it such a big problem to ask some one to say who they are?

Martin is you were giving advice on trauma clean up and some asked why should we listen to you what would you say?  would you tell them it none of their business or simply explain why you feel you are able to give advice on that subject.

this is what some one asked of Colin, (not me another member) they asked a simple question if I'm to take your advice can I ask who you are?

this question to me is the most important question we can ask, because from it we can decide if the advice given is credible or applicable to out own circumstances.

and I can see no reason not to answer

i asked Mike Boxall to check Colins detail because various member were making sarcastic comments toward Collin, I took it upon my self to remove any messages until the issue was resolved. unfortunately hes been away so hasn't looked into the matter

as long as I act in manner which I believe is in the best interest of this forum I don't care if people don't agree with my actions. 

I think now I've given ample explanation , so won't comment any further

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »
Im with the moderator on this.

Jim, you time on here has been short and you wont know the history.
Martin, you normally pop up on the general cleaning section so maybe you dont either.

but from time to time we get someone who disrupts the forum big time and get themselves banned.

some then try to get back on under an assumed identity, for whatever reason........

the mods presumably have ways and means of checking these through and act accordingly.

clinton

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2009, 06:19:48 pm »
Am also with the moderator on this too :)

Good post joe you said it all :)

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
I don't think we have any choice but to be with the 'Moderator'  ;D

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:51 pm »
Im with the moderator on this.

Jim, you time on here has been short and you wont know the history.
Martin, you normally pop up on the general cleaning section so maybe you dont either.

but from time to time we get someone who disrupts the forum big time and get themselves banned.

some then try to get back on under an assumed identity, for whatever reason........

the mods presumably have ways and means of checking these through and act accordingly.

Joe,
 I appreciate your comments and wider knowledge of forum rules/ etiquette .  I am a newbie at this, so that is why I asked the question.  I have a feeling someone knows more than they are divulging, but it must be for a reason.

I can understand the difficult job a moderator must have in situations like this.  My post was not intended to be a criticism of the moderator but a search for an answer to a question.  I suppose a moderators job is the proverbial hot potato.

Jim G
www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

gwrightson

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 07:14:17 pm »
Knowing Mike personaly as I do ,

I can see no reason for him to ban anybody/ delete any posts  unless his reasons for doing so where in the interest of the forum, and as Mike has stated he has tried to clarify certain things with Mike Boxall.  
Mike is one ,if not the most helpful c/c around ,his experience both in c/c and marketing  has helped give advise to many a buddingc/c , I say this from my experience reading these forums for quite a while now and for the many holes Mike as helped me dig my way out of.
In my opinion a first class mod  , straight talking and to the point  :)

Geoff.
ps got to say that , dont want banning ;)
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

JandS

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »
What, in all honesty, did he do wrong?
He spoke his mind but not in an aggressive manner.
In fact I think he started some pretty good and lively debates.
Got a lot of people posting and it was nothing controversial, just an alternative view to some of more narrow minded people on this forums thoughts.
Sorry to see him go.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:45 pm »
I 2nd that Geoff, Mike Halliday will let 99% of things ride but he has one of the hardest jobs on the forum and he is going to get kicked for it, now on the forum I moderate it's all peace and harmony  ;D

Shaun

Colin finney

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
Jim, Martin & John, Thank you for speaking out against what is selective censorship. The fact of the matter is there is no requirement on any member of this forum to fill out a profile upon joining and because I haven't fill it out mine all of my posts have been deleted. I wonder if the posts of all the other members who haven't filled out there profiles have also been deleted because that is the only thing mike can do if he wants to be seen as acting fairly and in the best interests of all of the members or merely himself.
We found this forum through our dealings with Express Cleaning Supplies who will be loosing a good customer if the deleting of my posts continues.
Col

JandS

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »
Colin

I like to hear both sides of a dispute not just one.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 07:44:26 pm »
Fill in your details and gain new friends.

Shaun Ashmore

Mike Halliday

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »
colin, its not about your profile (anything can be put there) its about proving who you are to the member who asked.

but I've left it now in Mike Bs court, so I won't delete any more of your post I'll leave it to him
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 07:58:07 pm »
think that was me.
show us your website colin with your 3 vans and your team of family workers, surely you can do that, or were you lying?, personally, i wish i had 3 vans and a full family run business, certainly wouldn't hide it, and yes i'd take your comments into consideration if i knew you were genuine, prove me wrong that your not who i think you are and i will publicly apologise, ive always been man enough to apologise when i'm wrong. its not hard.
derek

craigp

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 08:13:45 pm »
Where are you based Colin?

Why not say who you are?

Having debate with someone as an anonomus person when you know who they are, is that fair?

To me its obsurd and also rude!

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 08:19:40 pm »
Colin

Think of something slightly more humiliating Derek has to do, surely it would be worth revealing your identity for that?

Sorry Derek ;D

Colin finney

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »
Mike, what annoys me is one very simple point. There is no requirement for any member of this forum to fill in there details let alone prove who they are to anyone. If there were then you would constantly be deleting post from all of the other members who have not filled out there profiles and whose identities must therefore also be question, but I don't see you deleting there posts. The unwritten rule you seem to be apply is that if someone asks you who you are, where you are from, your name address, telephone number, date of birth you must provide that information whether you want to or not. If that is the rule Mike then don't you think you should tell people about it.
For the record the reason I will not fill in my profile or prove who I am is firstly because it is not a requirement of membership of this forum to do but secondly we have a successful business which we have built up from scratch and while I am happy to share what I know with others I am dammed if I will divulge any information that may be of interest to my competitors as some of them are members on this forum.

Lots of you are happy to share your details, websites, email addresses with all and sundry but until now have seemed content to be surrounded by people like me who would prefer to play there cards closer to there chest and until now that doesn't seem to be a problem. Don't you think that makes you look like hypocrites?
Col

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »
That's a very lucid reply Colin and I agree with a lot of your reasoning.

I guess the bottom line is if you sign up to any forum, fair or not. The Mods and the owners have the right to do whatever they want, if they want to. :-\