Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

I give up
« on: January 21, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »
Just been to quote on a commercial job approx 260sqm and 2 sets of stairs , its 2 offices ground floor and first floor. try to get as much imformation as possible from the customer she told me she as already been quoted less than £200.thats from a local firm with a truckmount

John

Carpet Genie

Re: I give up
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:32 pm »
John,

If somone wants the job that badly to do it so cheap i say leave it to em. They must be struggling for work to do it that cheap. I know times are hard at the moment but if you start working for that low price it'll be hard to up your prices at a later date.
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »
John,
Sell it on quality and service - some you win some you lose, maybe she was telling you this information to try and get a low price !!

Paul

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »
Put your price in and then give them a call later to see if you are successful. Some negotiators will artificially lower a quote just to see if you will respond, I had that with one customer as he asked me to sharpen my pencil :o sent him in his quote at my price and still got it.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »
John

As the above posts say some you get,i have had a run on price shoppers this week from the web sites and wont drop the prices.

Quoted on a  large appartment block communial area today and got the  go ahead to do it next week and think i was up against some one who has a large cleaning set up here near me :)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »
John

I don't know if my story will enthuse you to keep persevering with your owm business plan, or dishearten you.

Last week I quoted for a nursing home. Not worked for them before,  approx 150sqM. Straight forward, 3 bedrooms, no stairs the rest open spaces. They normally clean themselves so there's no obnoxious smells or stains apparent.  To be honest, I didn't really fancy it. I'd have to de-mount the Scorp as it's a rabbit warren of a job over 3 floors, and LM isn't suitable (yet!). So I loaded my price from £3.00 commercial rate to £4.20.  I got the job :'(

It'll be long day for me and my daughter.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »
Hi Guys

It is always really frustrating when you come up against someone who wants to work for too lttle BUT CC is riddled with people who do not understand how much one needs to take to make a decent living.

Too often people equate takings with earnings.

In this I include making enough to invest in better equipment and take the next step up.

I invested in a TM last year and like many before , wished I'd done so earlier.

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:17 pm »
I'd be more worried about how it will effect what you do now.

I mentally say NEXT with this sort of thing and it's gone, finished with. The only positive thing you can do is perhaps consider how in the same circumstance you might do something different.

Still put them on your database, still send out to them.

derek west

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:12:42 pm »
at least the phone is ringing, theres a plus point, at that price i'd of laughed rather than got upset about it. wished her good luck and pointed out the nearest welly shop, either that or i would of asked if i can pop back in 2 months time to see if all the soil has wicked back up, then offered her a proper job.
but then, i am a cocky sod.
win some lose some john. chin up fella.
derek

Joe H

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:47 pm »
If its as the lady told John, and apparantly she told John who the price was from and they do have a TM, then I find it incredible that someone can do it for £200.
Yes they can live on this, but to invest for the future as Doug says..... well it beyond comprehension.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:38 pm »
Just had a thought. How do you know he's going to use a TM to clean it?

You know what custies are like they just home in on the price. Then you say HWE etc etc and they go yeah, yeah yeah. So he may just be padding it in no time and collecting the cash.

The Great One

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:59:06 pm »
Hi

Just because someone does it cheap, doesn't automatically mean they will do a bad job, he may do a top notch professional job?

Regards

Martin 8)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:52:15 pm »
Realistically how long would it take to do that sort of area with a TM,  probably 2-3 hours if it's a reasonably open space. 

clinton

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:05:38 pm »
John

This job sounds like a job for you dry fusion mate and am sure it would make a good job whatever the non l m leaning brigade say ???

John Gregory

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »
Realistically how long would it take to do that sort of area with a TM,  probably 2-3 hours if it's a reasonably open space. 

Don't think I could wand 260 sqm in 2 or 3 hours 

John

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:53 pm »
I was a bit gutted to loose a job the other day to an under cutting C/C in my area.... But on 4 occassions I have been told by the custy that my quote is a fair bit "more" than his... But I've stuck to my guns and secured 3 of the jobs.

Then I thought about it... If I was being told I was a fair bit "cheaper", alarm bells would start ringing, I'd be even more gutted.

Stick to your guns, think about the long term goals, if you get through this economic nose dive, you'll get through anything!

As Derek said before, "Chin up fella!"

John Gregory

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
John

This job sounds like a job for you dry fusion mate and am sure it would make a good job whatever the non l m leaning brigade say ???

Clinton   Hi long do you reckon to bonnet 260sqm doing a half decent job pre vaccing etc
John

clinton

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »
Hi john

The pre vac will be well worth it and gets all the dry soil out prior to cleaning prob get it done in a morning mate you could also do the stairs with one of your pads folded up.

clinton

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »
John

I would help you set up if you have not used it yet mate if you needed  :)

John Gregory

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
John

I would help you set up if you have not used it yet mate if you needed  :)

Cheers Clinton  I've already submitted my Quote don.t think I will get it

John