This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mr Sparkle

UNBELIEVABLE, WHAT A COWBOY.
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »
HI FOLKS I'M IN DEEP SHOCK JUST BEEN TO DO A QUOTE ON A LARGE 4 BEDROOM DETACHED HOUSE, I QUOTED £10 FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE , BECAUSE I'VE JUST STARTED UP TO GET A FEW CUSTOMERS, THOUGHT I'D GO IN CHEAP TO GET THE JOB THEN I WAS TOLD NO THANKS THE OTHER WINDOW CLEANER USED TO DO IT FOR £4,
HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE DO THIS AND MAKE A LIVING? ARE WE BEING TOOK OVER BY A LOAD OF DOLE DOSSERS OUT FOR BEER MONEY? IT MAKES ME ANGRY THINKING ABOUT IT >:( >:( >:(

Ricky M

Re: UNBELIEVABLE, WHAT A COWBOY.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:27:03 pm »
£10 for what the whole house ?
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Bob Robertson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »
Mr Sparkle

You would be better posting this in the window cleaning section.

Bob

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:24:23 pm »
Mr Sparkle

Bob

??? ??? ???

steven ainger

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:27:15 pm »
did you ask the customer, where the old £4 window cleaner was, and when they say he doesnt turn up anymore,  you say its because hes starved to death.

wightsurf

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:29:06 pm »
Mr Sparkle

Bob

??? ??? ???

Had to laught  ;D

macmac

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 01:30:36 pm »
THE OTHER WINDOW CLEANER USED TO DO IT FOR £4,

This is the most significant part of the reply!

Why doesn't he STILL do it for 4 quid? ;)

Tony

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »

Don't just assume the customer is telling the truth! It could easily be that the customer said £4 hoping you'd match it.

I've become very cynical in this job.

supernova77

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:41:26 pm »
I QUOTED £10 FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE , BECAUSE I'VE JUST STARTED UP TO GET A FEW CUSTOMERS, THOUGHT I'D GO IN CHEAP TO GET THE JOB

Big mistake!

Never go in cheap just to get a job... You will regret it in the long run.

Andy

chrisyg

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:46:18 pm »
Just say, "sorry i cannot do it at that price...

You are better off sticking with your £4 window cleaner
(even if he no longer does it - which is probably why they called you)

But feel free to contact me in the future if i can help you, but note my quotation is vaild for 7 days only.

Have a good day, sorry to have wasted your time
"

Leave it friendly, say sorry even though they are to blame (in our eyes) it leave it open for them to contact you at a later date. And by saying the quote is valid for 7 days, it allows for increasing the price after that period, when you become more established and a better window cleaner.

stick to your own prices and pricing scheme, dont reduce just to get a job, unless there is something in it for you (long term!)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »
Its always the same old story, I have been to quote a large barn conversion this morning & it was a big un too they said over the last 20 yrs they have had 3/4 window cleaners none that lasted more than 5yrs all dissapeared without so much as a goodbye I priced it at £50 which they were surprised at then told me the last 2 guys charge £12 & £16 , this place is going to take me a couple of hrs or so to do on my own

supernova77

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 03:06:37 pm »
Its always the same old story, I have been to quote a large barn conversion this morning & it was a big un too they said over the last 20 yrs they have had 3/4 window cleaners none that lasted more than 5yrs all dissapeared without so much as a goodbye I priced it at £50 which they were surprised at then told me the last 2 guys charge £12 & £16 , this place is going to take me a couple of hrs or so to do on my own

Chris,

Did they agree to £50?

If they did be careful they don't just use you as a one-off!

Andy

landy2

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:51 pm »
somebody came over to me when cleaning my round and asked can i do there town house i said ten pound they said last window cleaner did it for four pound i sain can not do it for that they said ok we will wait to see if the old one comes back

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »
If the guy cleaned the property for £4.00 and the customer was happy with the job; how is he a cowboy?

I would agree that he's probably not insured, but we don't know that for sure, but he's just underselling himself rather than being a cowboy.

A cowboy is something you see on Rogue Traders on the TV!

chrisyg

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:06 pm »
If the guy cleaned the property for £4.00 and the customer was happy with the job; how is he a cowboy?

I would agree that he's probably not insured, but we don't know that for sure, but he's just underselling himself rather than being a cowboy.

You dont have to have insurance - its just better to have it, so just cos your not insured, doesn't make you a cowboy if your running a business, and cleaning properly.

landy2

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 03:26:25 pm »
what i am saying is if he cleaned ten town houses he would get forty pounds for most of the day how can anyone make a living out of that  £200 pound a week without outlays

chrisyg

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 03:31:41 pm »
what i am saying is if he cleaned ten town houses he would get forty pounds for most of the day how can anyone make a living out of that  £200 pound a week without outlays

Doing that trad is basically no outlay.

I used to work in an office on minimum wage for £180 a week, so its no real difference. A lot of people do live on that very type of wage, and thats more common further north, than down the south.

Still quite possible a benefits fraudster so obviously getting extra money there too.

Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 04:09:52 pm »
Mr Sparkle

Bob
??? ??? ??? ???

sageorgeta

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 05:28:57 pm »

What is the big problem with not being insured....i presume you mean public liabilty cover...it is not a legal requirement to trade as a wc without this type of insurance so why does one assume that a wc without insurance coverage of this nature is a cowboy?
I work mainly domestics but have a small amount of council contracts of which specify that i have to have a pl policy to cover me working on their premises,but if i did not have this council work i would not take out this cover for my domestic rounds,i see no point.Ok if some silly sod trips over your hose and dies of a heart attack then i will probably get sued left right and centre,but it is a choice of the individual and it certainly doesn't mean they are cowboys.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
If you havent got public liability insurance what happens if your ladder is blown over in the wind and damages someones property, maybe on a car, or causes someone personal injury?

If I was a victim of that I'd wanted financial recompense, wouldnt most people? It strikes me as irresponsible not to. We have a moral duty to allow for most foreseeable eventualities surely?