This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

Re: Van stolen
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:07 am »
What about something like this.

www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Receivers/GPS_Tracker/GLOBALSAT_TR150_REMOTE_TRACKING_DEVICE.html

It will sms you its coordinates, then google map it to see where it is. Forget the police, you can go get it yourself ;D

elite mike

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 03:04:54 pm »

www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Receivers/GPS_Tracker/GLOBALSAT_TR150_REMOTE_TRACKING_DEVICE.html

It will sms you its coordinates, then google map it to see where it is. Forget the police, you can go get it yourself ;D

that looks really good ,price is good to

thanks   ,mike

David Slater

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 03:29:16 pm »

So whats the deal with this unit?....you'll have to explain it in laymans terms!!! I'm not good with technology  :(

1. Do you just pay for the unit then hide it in the van?
2. Do you need to pay for credits to track it (like the other systems discussed?)
3. Do you need to sign up to a service?
4. Do you need to have a phone contract as well (for the unit?)
5. Do you need to link it up to a power supply?

So what is this unit?...is it like a little TomTom unit (like my Sat Nav?)
Or is it a little mobile phone that doesnt make calls? (if you get my drift!)

For £150 quid... I might just get one for the car. I'll definitley tell my dad to get one for his motorhome!

elite mike

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »
hi david

have you got your van back yet ?

David Slater

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 05:22:10 pm »
hi david

have you got your van back yet ?

Nope, nothing as yet.

Got the loss adjuster coming round on Thursday afternoon... :o

That little unit looks really intertesting....can anyone explain how it works in a bit more detail?

davids3511

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 06:13:57 pm »

So whats the deal with this unit?....you'll have to explain it in laymans terms!!! I'm not good with technology  :(

Yes, as I understand it you only pay for the unit.
2. Do you need to pay for credits to track it (like the other systems discussed?)
No, it is just a GPS with a SIM slot for a sim card.
No
No, just use PAYG.
5. Do you need to link it up to a power supply?[/color]
Remember to change the battery every 5 days or so and yoy should be ok.

This is just my understanding of the system. You would need to verify it with Easydevices. I used to deal with them on a wholesale basis a few years ago and they have an excellet rep within the GPS business.

It is basically a GPS receiver with a mobile phone sim slot. You can have the tracker send the coordinates of where it is to your mobile by text. You can even listen to what is going on around the tracker as it has a built in microphone. It is a SIRF3 chipset so it is a top of the rng solution. Sirf3 is excellent. If anybody can remember the older solutions, they used to need a view of the sky to pick up satelites. Sirf3 often works in doors it is that good.
Kind of, but the location is much more accurate.

David Slater

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »

No
No, just use PAYG.

This is just my understanding of the system. You would need to verify it with Easydevices. I used to deal with them on a wholesale basis a few years ago and they have an excellet rep within the GPS business.

It is basically a GPS receiver with a mobile phone sim slot. You can have the tracker send the coordinates of where it is to your mobile by text. You can even listen to what is going on around the tracker as it has a built in microphone. It is a SIRF3 chipset so it is a top of the rng solution. Sirf3 is excellent. If anybody can remember the older solutions, they used to need a view of the sky to pick up satelites. Sirf3 often works in doors it is that good.

WOW!!!....it sounds good.

I'm going to ring those guys in the morning and have a chat.....I might even give them this link so they (hopefully!) will come on and explain it to us.

Chipsets and SIRF3 dont mean a lot to me I'm afraid! It does sound really interesting though.

...and a cheaper alternative to LoJack and that sort of stuff.

I'd prefer it if I could go and find the van myself. I'd make SURE I found the thing!!

....I think the police are a bit busy at the best of times and maybe wouldnt put in 110% effort (as you would if you were looking for you own vehicle).

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »
What are your options david?

as in falling behind with work all the time. Do you buy a new van tomorrow, or wait for your old one to turn up?

David Slater

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 10:22:12 pm »
What are your options david?

as in falling behind with work all the time. Do you buy a new van tomorrow, or wait for your old one to turn up?

I was lucky in that respect...I'd just started!!

I have off-loaded the few jobs I had onto the local windy fella (with the promise I'll take them back as and when I can)

My options now are - leave window cleaning all together (not an option!)

Or - start again.

I'll have another van/system up and running in due course. It will be better than the first one. I will bounce back.....its just one of those things that happen!...you live and learn  ::)

I'll post up pictures of system No.2....if I dont get system No.1 back.

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »
we're all different but this is not how i would have handled it.

I would not give my work away even if i had just started. I understand the punch to the stomach that you've just had but some intestinal fortitude has to be shown.

I would crawl on my belly to do those jobs.Your options are.
go trad
setup with a trolley and barrels with the logic that you can use this stuff later.
Throw a van together with the wfp component being about £1,500.

I can't beleive you are going to fold.Even ewan would make a better fist of it than this.

NWH

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »
If you got a new van on say monday you could have all WFP stuff delivered on wednesday and have it all fitted and done by thursday,that`s what i would do.You would then only lose a week at the most.

matt

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 10:44:18 pm »
i agree with discount

go out and buy a old estate car as a temp vehicle

get a sack truck and spend a few hundred quid on a pump, sack truck, some 25 L barrels and keep at it

matt

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:44 pm »

No
No, just use PAYG.

WOW!!!....it sounds good.

I'm going to ring those guys in the morning and have a chat.....I might even give them this link so they (hopefully!) will come on and explain it to us.

Chipsets and SIRF3 dont mean a lot to me I'm afraid! It does sound really interesting though.

...and a cheaper alternative to LoJack and that sort of stuff.

I'd prefer it if I could go and find the van myself. I'd make SURE I found the thing!!

....I think the police are a bit busy at the best of times and maybe wouldnt put in 110% effort (as you would if you were looking for you own vehicle).

ref the GPS receiver idea

a few on a VW campervan forum looked at these aswell

you also need to buy the software its about 40 quid and from what i remmber you needed a win smartphone to run it on ? ? ? ?, this might have changed as davids3511 mentions they send the coordinates to your phone as a text message

David Slater

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 11:21:58 pm »
Guys,

Trust me,

I'm going nowhere  ;)

You guys down in London have nothing to fear.....just yet!!

Slater isnt a quitter. I've had worse than this happen over the years.

If I do something, I'll do it right. I have time. I'll overcome this hiccup.

I did think of crawling away with my tail between my legs and getting a job, but after reading the posts on this site and the "other site"...and listening to my dad I thought...NO WAY am I going to let some a$$ole drag me down.

Sh&t happens, I'll deal with it....I can honestly say I've learnt something from this experience.....DONT let it happen to you!!

Watch this space, I'll be back  ;D

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 11:27:21 pm »
Guys,

Trust me,

I'm going nowhere  ;)

You guys down in London have nothing to fear.....just yet!!

Slater isnt a quitter. I've had worse than this happen over the years.

If I do something, I'll do it right. I have time. I'll overcome this hiccup.

I did think of crawling away with my tail between my legs and getting a job, but after reading the posts on this site and the "other site"...and listening to my dad I thought...NO WAY am I going to let some a$$ole drag me down.

Sh&t happens, I'll deal with it....I can honestly say I've learnt something from this experience.....DONT let it happen to you!!

Watch this space, I'll be back  ;D
Good for you David,