This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Rochester

Re: Van stolen
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 10:27:39 am »
I'd be gutted if that happened to us.  We had one of our vans with a flat battery after christmas and I did exactly the same thing, luckily there was no scumbag nearby watching me.

As everyone on here has said, a lovely tidy set up that probably took a lot of time and effort to put together.

David Slater

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:54 am »
Thanks for posting this up Jaykie,

It was taken from south Manchester - Chorlton

Yep, its a DIY hot water system.

Guys,

Thanks for your comments on my system. My dad is on holiday for another 12 weeks....I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear what you thought of it too.

Dont know about building them for sale!!.....but I know its got a better layout and design than whats on offer. 

Fingers crossed in comes back in one piece.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 12:16:03 pm »
Hope you get it back soon, you must be gutted.

At least it is unique so if it gets seen it will be readily recognisable. Looks like a very neat and professional set-up, the guy probably didn't even know it was in there.

You have got me thinking, I wonder is it worth getting a tracker system fitted to these type of vehicles as it is more than just a vehicle it is the hub of a business. I am just about to get a brand new van with a fitted WFP system. Although it will have the option of remote connection for reels, there are other occasions that it will be vulnerable. I have just checked and for the installation of the full GPS/Police Tracker option in a van it would cost £560 for the installation and then about £123 a year afterwards. Quite expensive, but hearing your account I am going to have to think seriously about it.

chrisyg

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »

At least it is unique so if it gets seen it will be readily recognisable. Looks like a very neat and professional set-up, the guy probably didn't even know it was in there.

You have got me thinking, I wonder is it worth getting a tracker system fitted to these type of vehicles as it is more than just a vehicle it is the hub of a business. I am just about to get a brand new van with a fitted WFP system. Although it will have the option of remote connection for reels, there are other occasions that it will be vulnerable. I have just checked and for the installation of the full GPS/Police Tracker option in a van it would cost £560 for the installation and then about £123 a year afterwards. Quite expensive, but hearing your account I am going to have to think seriously about it.

Age old saying.

"what price, is piece of mind?"

If you have a brand new van, with a tasty system, then why not, for the "what if" factor.

ronnie paton

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 12:37:40 pm »
david and totally of topic but would you be intrested in helping me make a simalar hot system?

i live in hyde manchester so not too far?

David Slater

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 01:29:52 pm »

Alex,

I think the answer has to be - YES!!

Always thinking of the DIY route....you could buy a cheap PAYG mobile phone and hide it under the seat (or in the rear) linked up to your leisure battery so its always on, then join up to one of these phone locators: www.mobilelocate.co.uk/

It only cost a couple of quid a month to subscribe and gives location down to street level to a accuracey of 50 metres.

If (when) I get the van back, thats what I'm going to do.

Ronnie,

I'll ask my dad when he gets back off holiday....he wont be back for 12 weeks.
I cant imagine he'd have a problem sorting another one out. He did say if he did another one, he would make lots of subtle changes to improve/refine the sytem further.

I made the Harris Pole. My dad made the system...I just sort of stood around holding things!

jaykie

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 03:56:20 pm »
Thanks for posting this up Jaykie,

It was taken from south Manchester - Chorlton

Yep, its a DIY hot water system.

Guys,

Thanks for your comments on my system. My dad is on holiday for another 12 weeks....I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear what you thought of it too.

Dont know about building them for sale!!.....but I know its got a better layout and design than whats on offer. 

Fingers crossed in comes back in one piece.

No worrys mate just thought the more people aware the better chance of getting it back, good luck and let us know the outcome.

Chris

ronnie paton

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »
david very much appreciated, i hope you get it back andif i can help at all give me a call.

numbers on my sites

matt

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:41 pm »

Always thinking of the DIY route....you could buy a cheap PAYG mobile phone and hide it under the seat (or in the rear) linked up to your leisure battery so its always on, then join up to one of these phone locators: www.mobilelocate.co.uk/

It only cost a couple of quid a month to subscribe and gives location down to street level to a accuracey of 50 metres.

just a quick note on this

i did the same thing with my VW campervan ( afterall its fairly easy to steal and is worth 15 K ) , i used the old PAYG mobile and its not that accurate :( i tracked my mobile that was on my kitchen worktop and it said the phone was about 5 mins away in the car :( so its not 100 % all good

David Slater

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 06:47:58 pm »

i did the same thing with my VW campervan ( afterall its fairly easy to steal and is worth 15 K ) , i used the old PAYG mobile and its not that accurate :( i tracked my mobile that was on my kitchen worktop and it said the phone was about 5 mins away in the car :( so its not 100 % all good

Hmmmm...

Thats not so good is it Matt?

I thought these things were supposed to be pretty accurate (reading their website).

I only paid £3,800 for the van so dont fancy paying the best part of £700 a year just to track it.

There must be a DIY solution?

matt

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »

Hmmmm...

I thought these things were supposed to be pretty accurate (reading their website).

I only paid £3,800 for the van so dont fancy paying the best part of £700 a year just to track it.

i was disappointed with it to be honest, it would give you a rough idea on the area

a few of the classic car people use it and are happy with the idea that if it gets nicked they have a rough area to look

David Slater

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 07:15:24 pm »

Hmmmm...

i was disappointed with it to be honest, it would give you a rough idea on the area

a few of the classic car people use it and are happy with the idea that if it gets nicked they have a rough area to look

Its not really good enough for our use is it Matt?

Dont these mobile tracker firms sell these systems for protecting your children as well???

"Within 5 miles"....sounds a bit useless all round. I'd hate a kid of mine to get abducted only to find out they were 'within 5 miles'

I'm sure it states on their website 'within 50 metres' if you use a Vodafone phone?

How do we check their claims?

I'd like to do a trial run and see what happens?

matt

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »
the outfit i used i could buy 30 quid of credit and each track was 60 p

this was at the start of last year though, so things might have improved

i will dig out the details ( its on my other pc ) and you can try it out, you are more than welcome to try my account and see if its better

David Slater

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
the outfit i used i could buy 30 quid of credit and each track was 60 p

this was at the start of last year though, so things might have improved

i will dig out the details ( its on my other pc ) and you can try it out, you are more than welcome to try my account and see if its better

Nice one!

I want to see if its works.

It could save us all a pile of cash.....and we'll be able to put 'TRACKER FITTED' stickers in the vans.

matt

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »
ive just got all the details off my office pc and the "credit" i paid for expired ( it seems they changed the T&C so that they expire after 6 months )

a plus side is the min order is now only 10 quid ( which lasts for 6 months ) thus 20 quid for 1 years tracking is a fairly ok price

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 02:51:16 pm »
This tracker idea could be a real winner if there is a more accurate service. I've an old phone that isn't being used, an old car charger too somewhere. If I could hide it properly, leave it switched on (On silent) and run the charger cables up to it,... hey presto, job done!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:17 pm »
I have a look at the Tracker service which looks good, but there is also the Trackstar service which says it doesn't rely on the Police to track it down.

Which is the better one? Anyone got one?

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2009, 03:11:56 pm »
this is really unheard of where i live,..... i guess i am just lucky, here in south west wales!
i hope the scum get caught >:(
My sis-inlaw and brother inlaw got there car nicked in south walkes when bro inlaw was seeing his little girl for christmas, they made off with car and present that were in the boot, so it happenes everywhere unfortunatly.

Hope you get it back or at least findout who did it.

matt

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »
This tracker idea could be a real winner if there is a more accurate service. I've an old phone that isn't being used, an old car charger too somewhere. If I could hide it properly, leave it switched on (On silent) and run the charger cables up to it,... hey presto, job done!

you need access to the phone though, as they send text messages to inform you the phone is being tracked, when the messages cannot get though ( because your inbox is full ) they stop tracking, so you will need to get at the phone every 6 months or so to empty the inbox

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »
I can't find a phone tracker service that works in the Republic of Ireland??? :(