This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Still freezing with Iso-thingy.
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:08:41 pm »
I was back at work today with Ian's Iso-pro.. stuff in the water.

However after about 1pm my pump kept cutting out.
I switch the varistream back on and the pumps grinds slowly for 3 seconds and switches off.

Now I had this happen before, and it turned out to be a flat battery, so I used the jump leads and it still cut straight out.

So...I disconnected the hose from the reel and water pumped out fast continuously. ???

So I'm guessing I've got a freeze-up somewhere in the hose. ???

Re: Still freezing with Iso-thingy.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »
I was out there today and after about 12.00 I noticed icicles forming on my brush-head, the whole adaptor was solid in ice  ;D

wightsurf

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:56:51 pm »
Yep that iso stuff don't do much for me last three days been frozen solid.

chrisyg

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:00:00 pm »
You obviously need more of it.

wightsurf

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:02:07 pm »
How much more do you think . I put 300ml into about 200ltr

chrisyg

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:07:25 pm »

I dont use it, but there is a website somewhere with how to work out how much you need at certain temps per litre..

Im sure Jeff Brimble knows..

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:09:06 pm »

Apparently you need a 20% solution, so in 200 litres of water you'd need 40 litres of iso  ;D

ftp

chrisyg

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:12:54 pm »
This one?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ispropanol-water-d_988.html

i think thats it.

Apparently you need a 20% solution, so in 200 litres of water you'd need 40 litres of iso  ;D

thats dependant on the temp you are using it at. So what temp is that with?

wightsurf

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »
Sorry don't no what the temp is on each day, just freezing cold and frozen pipes. The weather man said 0 last night and this morning it was colder than that defrost the pipe at 9.30 froze straight back up again.had another go just after 1015 and they where ok for the rest of the day. The iso stuff might of help from then on but can't say for sure.

pingu

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »
Would methanol work just as well as iso and I have around 500litres of that!!!

Looking at htt p://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/methanol-water-d_987.html it looks about the same as iso

so looking at :

htt p://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/freeze-protection-d_1155.html

Would the 500litres of methanol I have sat in my garage be better spent in my wfp tank...ps methanol is much cheaper that iso.....I have it as I make biodiesel...

Would any of the real brain boxes be able to shed some light...tommorow I shall do a couple of tests using 1%, 5% 10%, 15% and 20% concentrations to see if it is ok on the glass.

Cheers
Dave.

tompoole

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 04:44:04 pm »
Not cost effective to use all the time, I have used it the last couple of days. got 25 litres for £30. have used it at 10%. Get lots of people telling you this and that but 10% is the min really. Having said that, if the ground temp is still well below freezing you may need to use a bit more.
Oh and if you are employing people there is also a health and safety issue, esp in how you store it. prob best to get a hot system in the long run if we get reg cold snaps like this
tom

pingu

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »
Sorry Tom are you using iso or methanol?

Cheers
Dave.

ftp

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »
Meths and resin might not get on together - i don't know. Not sure about the pump internals either.
Although it's used in glass cleaner.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:16:17 pm »
This one?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ispropanol-water-d_988.html

i think thats it.

thats dependant on the temp you are using it at. So what temp is that with?

Good point Chris, its just what Ive read on here as suggestions from those who've used it successfully.

Matt

pingu

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 05:24:36 pm »
I have just been out into the shed and filled 3x bottles with 1litre of water and placed 10%, 15% and 20% of methanol into the bottles and left them in the garden ...the temp at 18:22 is now -5.6 so we'll see in the morning.

I know that the indy 500 cars all run on methanol but thats not to say it's good for our pumps.

Cheers Dave.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 05:34:20 pm »
When i used it i found that the water still ran through the pipes but the Y piece froze it was still free flowing through the hosereel though.In conditions like they`ve been this week the only thing that will keep you constantly working is hot water.

ftp

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
 Re: Why use Isopropanol?
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It`s as good as hot water in the sense that you can keep working in the cold weather,like i say that job i did before without it everything froze on me, next time the same job even colder and nothing froze only my nose lol.

Not another U turn NWH?

NWH

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 05:59:16 pm »
You should change your name to witch hunter mate,it did keep me working and i wasn`t having a go at anyone i was just saying what happened on the said day.Even with hot water the Y pieces will freeze if you leave the pole in the shade for to long but the hot will defrost the lot in seconds,say something informative and worthwhile rather than trawling through the archives looking to make me look stupid.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 06:00:50 pm »
When i used it i found that the water still ran through the pipes but the Y piece froze it was still free flowing through the hosereel though.In conditions like they`ve been this week the only thing that will keep you constantly working is hot water.
That's exactly where I reckon it happened!