This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark f

So then we all have our opinions generally divided as to whether we have forked out for the wfp or not! But honestly putting all this aside and thinking about what we know, if you had a domestic round do you think after the work at height regs kick in you would legally be able to do that DOMESTIC round as you would do at the moment if you didnt have wfp. ::)

D G Windows

Re: When the regs kick in could you do a round with ladders???????
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 10:15:48 pm »
Totally know what yer saying mate, and up to now im one that aint got one, currently looking at that 'omnitrolley ' myself does anyone have any bad things to say about this trolley, seems to fit the bill for a start on the WFP?
Is it worth it?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:50:18 pm »
You will be able to do any domestic work.

The work at risk will be commercial, where you will have to do it by safest method.

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:12:35 am »
The WAHD is aimed at reducing risk. Nothing else. No banning of ladders etc.

Ladders are sometimes the only real option and if they are used, then they have to be used in the safest possible manner (i.e. someone at the bottom securing it if possible etc.) except if the risk is beyond the guidlines of the WAHD. i.e. balancing on one leg whilst over stretching sideways.

That is it. Nothing else.

The WAHD is meant to reduce injury and death from working at height by introducing a safe working practice and it is in the main aimed at companies who turn a blind eye to safety and to getting the job done without considering the risks.

Obviously, a resindential customer will not erect scafolding to have their windows cleaned or if a company needs a light bulb changing in an office, scaffolding is hardly an option either. It's about eliminating unnecessary risk and doing the job in the safest possible way taking into account the job that needs doing.

Duke

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 04:37:34 pm »
Even if there was an outright ban...some cleaners would still defy it anyway, after all, it's virtually impossible to police, especially on domestic rounds. Having said that, why not use the opportunity (and excuse, if you must) to go WFP. It will increase your profitability and speed,and mean you can take on jobs you'd baulk at with a ladder. With today's finance options too...there really is no better time to take the plunge....I did, and I've never looked back...I earn twice as much a day now, with nearly half the effort...and all in safety   :)

D G Windows

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 05:53:01 pm »
Yeah. I know what yer saying.
Although what water fed do u use?
These omnitrolleys.. are they worth going for cos ive heard from some guy today in a big van with a huge system that the only ones worth it are the big systems because the rest dont have enough power to go up the pole.
Is this true or?

Duke

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 06:03:35 pm »
Not at all.   My Omnitrolley and 200 litres of water will easily make me over £100 in 5 hours...no problems with water pressure to the brushhead at third storey...probably higher, in fact I turn the flowrate down.....saves water and otherwise it's nearly like a pressure washer. Omnitrolley and Powerpole...good tools !

D G Windows

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 06:21:37 pm »
How much did u whack out for the full system, thinking of buying it myself.

How many fill ups per day do u need?

Is it easy to store etc?

Give me some feedback if you could please, just what stuff u got, did u buy the omnitrolley package and was happy with that or did u have to pay any extra for addons or your own bits.

Cheers

Duke

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 06:51:13 pm »
PM me if you like, I'll go into more detail there...don't want to bore everybody else..  ;D

mark f

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 07:19:04 pm »
so when the regs come in i wouldnt be able to use my ladder as i do now cos i will have to use stability devices etc even though it is domestic work??

Duke

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 07:29:04 pm »
This is still all very new. There are no test cases as yet.   Going back to my previous post 'it will be very hard to police'....but if you take your business seriously and want to move on, it's better in my opinion to pre-empt it and do yourself a favour at the same time...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 08:03:39 pm »
Mark - my ladders which I still use occasionally - have articulated ladder feet on the bottom and have ladder mitts on the top - very safe when used sensibly - even on UPVC cills and transoms I reckon.
It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 08:09:37 pm »
The topic is ...

When the regs kick in could you do a round with ladders?

The answer is yes.

If they are used safely and in a way to reduce the risks to a minumum possible for the job being done provided it is reasonable to use ladders for that job.

Staybright

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 08:31:51 pm »

Hi All,

I think this TWAHD has been hyped up a little by the wfp manufactures,

I know of around 8 guy's that have been cleaning 4th floor windows on big sites off a ladder for years without any probs at all - as you know this is  completey against current H&S laws, if they can't police them now how do you think they will cope in the future?

I think its all a load of hype, and it will be left down to individual discretion - but please bear in mind if you work ilegally and have an accident your insurance will be void !!

Rob

D G Windows

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 09:56:46 pm »
South manchester, Stockport Lionheart. Howcome man?