This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rosskesava

Mineral Deposit Remover. Is it any good?
« on: March 08, 2005, 07:40:21 pm »
We do a shop that suffers from rainwater running straight off the brickwork and down the windows. It's 2 largish windows and a door. It has got to a point that the shop keeper is complaining he can hardly see through his windows and he does understand that removing the what ever it is (lime?) will cost money.

I've tried wirewool, brillo pads etc. They don't touch it.

The problem I have is that I don't want to spend out buying MDR, then take the required time and end up not getting paid because the MDR doesn't work.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

Duke

Re: Mineral Deposit Remover. Is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 07:49:58 pm »
Is it limescale ?

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 07:53:36 pm »
It does look like limescale.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 07:54:01 pm »
I've not used it, but fancy trying 'Cillit Bang' for limescale on windows.  Their tv ad claims it removes it.  It's easy to get hold of from Tescos.

Anyone tried it?

Duke

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 07:56:04 pm »
or Viacal is what I was thinking of....

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 07:58:40 pm »
www.cillitbang.co.uk
 not tryed yet
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

C-Thru

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 08:49:30 pm »
Got a pub in London does the same thing when the the flowers are waterded at 4 am it runs down of the brick and sign and down the windows. Sum qare perminantly stained but sum of the windows i can get it of by using Viacal leave it on for about ten minutes. Hope it helps 

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 08:50:12 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.

I thought the posting about 'Cillit Bang' was some type of a joke (I don't have a TV) but it's not. Who the hell thought of that name?

I will try both Cillit Bang and good old Viacal tomorrow on a little bit of the shop window when he's shut.

Cheers

Ross

mark f

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 10:02:34 pm »
if it is limescale pour some cheap vinegar on your aplicator first, it always works! I have a couple of jobs with dodgy overflows that mess up the windows. The customers give me some vinegar and hey presto its gone!

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 08:18:05 pm »
I couldn't get and Viacal or Cillit Bang today and as today we had a customer whose consevatory has a window that is underneath a dripping gutter, I'd thought I'd try vinegar. I wasn't optomistic to be honest but I thought to give it a go as anything has to be better than scrape, scrape, scrape for 5 minutes.....

My missus wasn't impressed as I took the bottle from home but on the glass in question - I was staggered.

IT WORKS.  ;D

Cheers Mark f - but how odd is that? Vinegar?

Duke

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 08:33:17 pm »
lol..acid likes limescale !!!

pjulk

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 11:52:24 pm »
I use MDR and find its really good product in fact i gets rid of a lot more than limescale.
One house i did last week had these really big stains from something on that was not there the previous month and GG4 wouldn't touch it.
My brother said you got that MDR with you.
I did so we tried it took these bad stains right off still have not got a clue what caused them but looks like it was thrown at the windows as they were in large circles.
Perhaps heavily limescaled snowballs.

Paul

texas girl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 12:53:40 am »
I frequently encounter hard water stains on every single house we do.  It is because  no one over here get's their windows cleaned any more often than 3/6 months.

Everyone over here has sprinkling systems; always gets hardwater water stains baked on the window by the intense sun and heat.

This is my regime:

Vinegar with a bit of dish washing detergent mixed with soap scum remover.  (Mineral deposit remover).  There are various brands but I use the cheap stuff.

We first go around and spray all of the windows on the stained areas and let it soak. Then we go back, clean with regular solution(believe it or not, I use dish detergent w/ alcohal) or GG4. Then a scrapper.

In the extreme of the extreme, I have actually used hydrocloric acid in a very diluted strenth. Then the same: soak; scrub; scrape; clean then squeegee.

I have had success alway's with this method.  I guess that is why we charge $10 per window; in and out (and the screen); tracts, stain off, paint off, etc.

I have tried MDR and it is a different approach. I personally like the acidic dissolving of the stain; scraping also to get it all; and simple cleaning again after all that.

You would be surprised at how great vinegar is. Also the simple soap scum remover you can buy at the dollar store works great.

Friday we are doing a 2 story; intriquete interior design/location; I am charging $337.00. She did not flinch at the rate. 33 windows.

Love and hugs, Debbie
Debbie

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 01:11:44 am »
Hi Debbie and thanks for your posting and hi Paul Griffin. Re MDR

What is 'soap scum remover'? I'm also struggling to work out what mineral deposit remover actually is. Is it a brand name or a type of product? What exactly is MDR? What type of minerals?

I am really interested to  know.

I'm interested in anything to do with scale and the such like because of the extra hard water area I live in. It's all chalk around here.

I understand about acids but what type of products contain hydrochloric acid in a relatively pure form that can be found in an over the counter type form? Toilet cleaner is about all I can think of but those have inbititers that mean they work over a small time scale like 30 minutes or more.

Cheers

Ross

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 06:05:06 am »
Vinegar eh :o
I must try that one ;)
I presume MDR must have a dilute acid in it, the same as the one they use in the building trade, the acid in it disolves the lime. I haven't tried MDR so have no idea how good it is, though I have heard that used in conjunction with 000 grade wire wool it is very effective.

cillit bang is a great product ;D But it won't remove limscale build up of the type you get on glass, put some in your kettle though and it works fantasic ;D
A really good product is that ;)

Must have a go with the vinegar later though, I have a window at home that is really bad (the one the Cillit Bang wouldn't touch) so I shall try it out at lunchtime 8)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES