Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

from edge2edge

Brick dust
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:24:51 am »
Morning guys/gals I am trying to help a couple of ladies who clean houses after rewires.The problem is they are asked to hoover and wipe over surfaces only so thats what they do .The electrical contractor then says it looks good but the estate personnel complain there is loads of brick dust evident a couple of days later.They use a quite new upright vac with the animal option.Is there a special vac or equipment to remove brick dust that can be purchased or hired to solve this problem.The reason for my interest is that i could be in for the carpet cleans on these properties and i have been told there is 84 so worth persuing.Regards Alan (swindon)

John Kelly

Re: Brick dust
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:32 am »
Brick dust is quite coarse so i don't think there would be a problem with the filtration as any decent machine should cope with it. Maybe they aren't doing it properly. We have done some of this work ourselves in the past and the amount of brick and plaster dust left in the carpets is quite heavy. Its not adeqaute to just be passing the vacuum cleaner back and forwards over the carpet. The areas of heavy contamination need to be dealt with specifically with the nozzle. Then the rest of the carpet vacuumed fully. That means slowly vaccing on the backward pull and north to south, east to west. Even then it is not guaranteed to remove it all. Really needs hwe to make sure. They should be having this anyway.

from edge2edge

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:31:28 am »
Thanks for that John.I have a couple of host freestyle machines which i was going to try i assume they would do the job.Regards Alan (swindon)

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:05:47 pm »
John's post is spot on.  The only thing I'd add is that in my experience the cleaning product doesn't need to be extremely strong or any specific one - you simply need to get the remaining particles suspended in something prior to rinsing them away.

spindle

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »
wife does lots of these cleans.............

normally has to go back 2-3 times to remove all dust...never resolved in 1 visit...

trouble is when you start to clean the dust rises............and settles when you leave.............so a return visit is normal.......

wife custys are aware of this so not normally a problem

life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

derek west

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »
going to do one of these tomorrow morning, any suggestions on what chemical to use, gonna vac first then vac with the truckmount and then see whats left, any advice on whats left, not sure if wool or poly prop yet.
derek

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:04:04 pm »
Have you got a handi groomer or similar? 

www.prochem.co.uk/IMAGES/accessories/PC4201.jpg

A stiff brush will do a similar job but the handi groomer is much better.

Use it in conjunction with the vacuum to flick up the dust out of the base of the pile.  It's easier on polyprops as you sometimes need to be a little vigorous, which obviously some wool carpets don't like.

Try a moderate pre spray of whatever you use but mix it weak, you're not relying on chemistry too much at this stage.  Agitate it a little, within what the carpet can stand, then give it a good thorough rinse through.  Heat is almost irrelevant too, back the heat off to save unnecessary risk from damage.

You might still be left with an orange hue, even though the worst is gone.  Try an alcohol based spotter on a towel, blot and inspect, it should show a decent colour transfer.  Depending on the size of the area affected, either blot it over or carefully spray from a trigger sprayer and agitate in again.  You should get almost instant results from extraction.

Sometimes there's still a teeny weeny orange hue visible on very light carpets, but it normally looks better after drying.  If this is the case, dry it off before you show the customer, then ask them what they think.

In case you were wondering, Sky have a national account with ServiceMaster, we clear up lots of messes where they've drilled the cables through the walls ::)