This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lovewindows

Re: is it worth purchasing a gutter vacuum?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »
Whats it comprise of ie generator camera etc etc  i'm interested   
dont look who's to blame, look how to fix it. anon

Kevin R

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 10:55:36 pm »
Ok on housing etc ..but if you are going to go into this line of business buy or rent a truck mounted elevated platform and do the job right.

Ive got a mate that owns a row of shops and hired a access platform the other week to clean the whole block with some awkward areas...cost of hire was £120 for the day(old mill type building over 3 floors approx 45 foot)...sort of made me think differently about the whole gutter cleaning business

So Kevin don,t jump down my throat as this is only my opinion and I bow to yr superior knowledge of cleaning s**t out of gutters for extraordinary amounts of re numeration :P

Thats fine if you can get powered access to access the buildings but with todays "jam as many buildings in a small space as possible" ethos sometimes you will struggle with a ladder as the space is so limited. Also with todays emphasis on Health and Safety the Omnivac is suitable for many jobs where the options are very limited.   We use powered access regularly - yes occasionally it is quicker and more cost effective to use this method over the Omnivac especially on large jobs. However for £120 you may just about get a trailer mount access platform down here and certainly not a machine that would reach 45 feet.

Its horses for courses and to be honest having the experience to gauge the job and know what access method is appropriate is half the battle. The Omnivac is an excellent tool and can make you a pretty penny as its especially suited to jobs with very limited access. It does do an excellent job and is easily as good as manually on some jobs but not on others (see my other post of today) its not.

Gutter cleaning / repair /relining is a specialty in its own right. It commands a good price because its dangerous, much more so than window cleaning especially with the advent of wfp. You will find as I have, it makes better money, there is much more work available than in window cleaning, but if your running a window cleaning business along side your gutter cleaning business you will get loads more window cleaning work as its an introduction to the facilities managers etc.

The thing  is if your going to do commercial gutter cleaning you need to set yourself up properly with all the kit, get some training, be aware of all access techniques, fall arrest systems etc etc the list goes on. Then your ready to do the job properly. If your going to dabble on the cheap your better off sticking to windows as your likely to do a poor job and possibly get injured or worse in the process.

jjames

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 07:53:19 am »
Hi

If anyone wants to sell a guttervac I am looking to buy one please email grassroots@fsmail.net I am based near Exeter.

Thanks

Justin

Seers

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:10 am »
Hi kevin,

I think I stand somewhere on the middle ground in regard to the omnivac debate. Although we've owned one for probably two months we only did our first job using it a fortnight ago.

The work is steadily coming in, with work all over the country. Companies love the fact that we don't have to use ladders and can cctv their guttering  from the safety of the ground.

However, our first job was the guttering on a school gym in Wales, approx 20ft, battled with the gutter spike and vacuum for an hour or so and only cleaned about 3 metres of grass and roots in gutters.  The lads then took the vacuum hose up a ladder and cleared gutters by hand,  the remaining 20m done in half an hour.

Job 2, office block in London. Gutters on back of building were clear, so we vaccumed no problem. However, deep rooted grass etc on front of buiding, again we had to get ladders out to clear.

Job 3, 21 industrial units in Bristol. Gutter height only 12ft. Again boys used the vacuum hose from ladder and system worked a treat. But could not get through deep roots using vaccum pole from ground.

I want the system to work, we've got a lot more work booked in. But unless we can get the hang of using the gutter spike on the powerpole we are going to have to keep getting the ladders out. What is your technique to break up the roots etc?

We're currently looking into purchasing a cherry picker to work in tandem with the omnivac system.

Cheers,

Huw

Kevin R

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »
When I first started I got very frustrated  because my technique with the gutter spike was poor and I could not understand why. Also my vacuuming technique was falling short as I was struggling to clean all of the gutter especially in big bottomed commercial gutters.

I got one of my colleagues to hold the monitor for my camera system which was positioned to capture the action as it were. You could then watch as you used the vac and the spike. I learnt especially with the spike its easier to try and remove as much of the plants / roots as you can by impaling them and sliding them up the wall of the gutter and over the top - This is almost impossible with box gutters due to them having a lip on the top outside edge but will work well with most other types.  Also another tip is to turn off your vac and use its tip  to break up roots etc by pushing it and pulling it along the bottom of the gutter, then vacuum.

Getting the ladders out is very tempting but the idea is to refine your technique for areas where a cherry picker / ladders can't be used.  The Omnivac does have a learning curve - but it will make you money if your patient and learn to use it.

The other bit of advise is know when it will be unsuitable - most jobs now I survey I know within 5 mins wether to get the cherry picker in our use the Omnivac.  The Omnivac is not a one stop solution unfortunately, but when it is suitable you will make a profit very quickly.

Its a case of practice makes perfect. I am teaching one of my sub contractors at the moment how to do it and its hard because simply explaining doesn't seem to work. One of my other sub contractors picked it up in no time though, he now says its a knack. He like me hardly uses a camera as we feel with the spike and the vac tip - we only now do an initial survey then a completion check - 99% of the time the gutters a clear by feel alone. Trust me you will develop the knack but only with a bit of practice.

I hope that helps  ;)

Seers

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:08 pm »
Hi kevin,

Not only is trying to break up the roots/grass a struggle, but trying to use the CCTV is proving a nightmare too. I've got one guy using the gutter vac, one using a powerpole with the camera and then another looking at the monitor display and guiding in the guttervac. Its hard to use the powerpole and look at the monitor at the same time.

I think the whole system has got a bright future, selling the service is no problem, people like the cctv survey and working from the ground, but knowing when its time to hire a cherry picker is true. For regular maintenance, after an initial visit, the omnivac will come into its own I think.

Kevin if you don't mind could you give me some ideas of hourly charge for your gutter cleaning service, every job I've quoted on so far have told me we're cheap, but I have achieved some of the biggest job tickets since I've been in business this week using the guttervac.

My guys are booked out all week this week so far we've been to London, Bristol and Exeter and are in Derby tomorrow. All our jobs have been industrial units and office blocks.

I will persevere with the gutter spike! But it is all too easy to get the ladders back out!!

Cheers,

Huw
huw@seerclean.com

ftp

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:26 pm »
Have to agree with Huw on some points raised. If you can see grass you just know it's going to be a struggle particularly the top of the downpipe. If it's moss, leaves or silt then it's a doddle to suck out. Cctv camera is dead easy as long as you mount your monitor to a tripod  - adjust it to an easy height, send the pole up and just watch the monitor. I have a shhhhh! DIY version and what i'm missing imo is the powerpole - you really need something pretty heafty i think to rake the roots about. I've been using a fibreglass pole and it's a bit lightweight and bendy for the job. S2 sections are great for vacuuming though.  ;)

STEVE-UK

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 04:13:51 pm »
this will give you an idea of prices that the competition are charging

www.highvac.co.uk/6.html

bit of an off put isnt it !! ???

just looking out of my window at the 4 bed det houses opposite which only have 14 metres guttering on ( 7 m front & 7 m back ,none on the sides

at these prices you will be charging £35 for a 4 bed det house?

even if you do a 100 metre stretch thats only £250 which aint a lot if its all grass

Kevin R

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 04:15:32 pm »
Hi kevin,

Not only is trying to break up the roots/grass a struggle, but trying to use the CCTV is proving a nightmare too. I've got one guy using the gutter vac, one using a powerpole with the camera and then another looking at the monitor display and guiding in the guttervac. Its hard to use the powerpole and look at the monitor at the same time.

I think the whole system has got a bright future, selling the service is no problem, people like the cctv survey and working from the ground, but knowing when its time to hire a cherry picker is true. For regular maintenance, after an initial visit, the omnivac will come into its own I think.

Kevin if you don't mind could you give me some ideas of hourly charge for your gutter cleaning service, every job I've quoted on so far have told me we're cheap, but I have achieved some of the biggest job tickets since I've been in business this week using the guttervac.

My guys are booked out all week this week so far we've been to London, Bristol and Exeter and are in Derby tomorrow. All our jobs have been industrial units and office blocks.

I will persevere with the gutter spike! But it is all too easy to get the ladders back out!!

Cheers,

Huw
huw@seerclean.com

Ok this in my experience is the best way forward -

1 - survey the gutter - record the images do not look at the monitor during the recording then review it.
2 - Use the gutter spike to get a feel for whats in there.
3 - remove as much as you can with the spike - or damage as much of the root as you can, or turn the plant on its side (a vac will stick to a root ball but not the plant). Run the spike up and down. You will with practice feel what the spike touches.
4 - insert the vac nozzle - do the same as with the spike
5 -  turn on the machine -  Biggest nozzle and remove as much as you can
6 -  Re - camera and repeat until clear.

Pressure wash the inside of the gutter and the down pipes.

Take each bit in small sections. Work toward down pipes from the ends.

Exeter on my patch eh - mmm do I tell him my prices LOL - I have alread quoted my charges on previous posts please feel free to look  ;D ;D ;D

Sell maintenance contracts every time you quote - dont be afraid to get a cherry picker then quote them cheaper for Omnivac from then on - they will bite your arm off  ;D

Kevin R

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:39 pm »
this will give you an idea of prices that the competition are charging

www.highvac.co.uk/6.html

bit of an off put isnt it !! ???

just looking out of my window at the 4 bed det houses opposite which only have 14 metres guttering on ( 7 m front & 7 m back ,none on the sides

at these prices you will be charging £35 for a 4 bed det house?

even if you do a 100 metre stretch thats only £250 which aint a lot if its all grass

But can't you tell just from the website he's a plank?

A commercial client is hardly likely to phone him as he has only pictures of houses on his site - where is the H & S info - pictures of commercial work etc.

Just because someone gets an Omnivac doesn't mean they get a free business brain thrown in LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Seers

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 04:35:05 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Point taken with the maintenance contract, I will try and push for a twelve monthly visit at propably a 25% discount of initial visit price. Just had a very interesting conversation with a large organisation about gutter cleaning.

All we have to do now is master our technique. I think I will in future quote with and without the hire of cherry picker, rather than try and achieve the impossible with guttervac.

Cheers,

Huw.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 04:48:17 pm »
thats true kev but advertising those prices doenst help

ftp

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »
He has a method statement and a health and safety policy of sorts on that site. The more people buy these systems then the lower prices will fall i would imagine. If the guy can suck out a domestic at £45 for half an hours work then he's happy. You won't be able to push prices very high on residential because you are competing with ladder man. Commercial - then if your comparing prices with a cherry picker then that's different.

Kevin R

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:24 pm »
then if your comparing prices with a cherry picker then that's different.

Bingo Give the boy a cracker  ;D ;D ;D ;D

thats true kev but advertising those prices doenst help

Sure it does look what some wallys charge with wfp, Some one on here the other week was charging £7 for a bungalow gutter clean - these people need educating before they do for us all.  Prices are only kept high if people know the value of a skilled days work - because thats what gutter clearing is, a skill. Other wise someone will do it for £70 a day!!!!

Hi Kevin,

Point taken with the maintenance contract, I will try and push for a twelve monthly visit at propably a 25% discount of initial visit price. Just had a very interesting conversation with a large organisation about gutter cleaning.

All we have to do now is master our technique. I think I will in future quote with and without the hire of cherry picker, rather than try and achieve the impossible with guttervac.

Cheers,

Huw.

We have a little clause on our contract that states we will do our utmost to clear the gutters from ground level with the Omnivac,  However due circumstances beyond our control including; plants and trees rooted to the fabric / structure of the buildings gutters, faulty gutters and down pipes including connections etc, it may be necessary to use a cherry picker with further cost to the client. All further costs will be discussed before implementation.

So do you get a cherry picker in first? If you have good access all around the building and the gutters are box and seriously over grown or the building is 4 to 5 stories then Ok its a valid shout, but otherwise add to your contract and play it by ear. After all its not your fault they neglected their gutters.

Huw

Did you recently do a job for Exeter City council?

Seers

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 08:27:41 pm »
Hi Kev,

No we haven't worked for Exter Council. Although did have a conversation with another council up North this afternoon about a gutter maintenance programme.

With a bit more practice and the right planning i'm sure there's money to be made in this field. 90% of all our enquiries over the last three weeks have been for gutter cleaning, which is amazing really when we have only been promoting it for about a month.

In fact currently looking at prices of a 7 1/2 ton lorry cherry picker, which could house the omnivac equipment and a pressure washer and tank. We would then have a means of attack for all gutter situations.

Cheers,

Huw

Kevin R

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 08:39:49 pm »
Hi Kev,

No we haven't worked for Exter Council. Although did have a conversation with another council up North this afternoon about a gutter maintenance programme.

With a bit more practice and the right planning i'm sure there's money to be made in this field. 90% of all our enquiries over the last three weeks have been for gutter cleaning, which is amazing really when we have only been promoting it for about a month.

In fact currently looking at prices of a 7 1/2 ton lorry cherry picker, which could house the omnivac equipment and a pressure washer and tank. We would then have a means of attack for all gutter situations.

Cheers,

Huw

The problem with your own truck mount is the maintenance costs - and LOLER certs etc. Also a truck mount is too big for some jobs. I hire what I need then I have a machine for every situation.  Often a trailer mount works well.

I am over run with gutter cleans, I love a day window cleaning now as its much easier!!!!

The councils are a good port of call. I have two on my books. However their work is always overgrown and neglected. So be prepared for harder than average cleans, but they don't mind paying as the next step is often scaffolding due to restricted access.

I asked about Exeter as I recently turned down a job due to massive access problems and a few other things they got a contractor in from your way and they failed to do the job. Im glad I didn't drive all that way for a fail. The job needs to be scaffolded simple as really.

drive surgeon

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 10:32:33 pm »
well thanks for the answers boys!  :o  ;D  im in the north west.    maybe i should forget it then!

Kevin R

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »
well thanks for the answers boys!  :o  ;D  im in the north west.    maybe i should forget it then!

If you have a bit of business skill and a bit of patients to learn a new skill then its worth it, if you looking to make a fast easy buck then forget it  ;)

CLEANGLASSUK

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »
If you can learn how to walk then you can definatly learn how to use the omnivac. ;D

Kevin R

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 12:01:50 am »
If you can learn how to walk then you can definatly learn how to use the omnivac. ;D

I would agree this sounds feasible - but believe me some people really struggle  :o