Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spruce

Tosh,

I am the first to admit that I am not the proverbial sharpest knife in the draw. Each time I looked at Jeffs post on DIY poles I got confused with cutting this section off to glue this in that etc.
In all due respects to Jeff, the 'Emporium' push on adaptor has made this 'conversion' so much simpler - I could even see me getting it sorted.
Will assemble it tomorrow and see how we manage - weather permitting.

Thanks again and to Jeff also for being the inspiration.  :) :) :)

Spruce 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Tosh

the 'Emporium' push on adaptor has made this 'conversion' so much simpler - I could even see me getting it sorted.

Me too!

Wayne Thomas

The DIY site has some good info on there but as a novice it looks confusing on first impressions. It's made to look harder than it actually is with all the cutting of sections, glueing this, bandaging that and so on..... Keep It Simple Stupid will draw in more new members IMO.
I bought an Emporium 18ft pole, simple to order from website with a good simple description of lengths of sections and attachments, total length of actual pole and it's composition. No need to modify anything as it's posted with all that's necessary to unwrap it and start working with a fishing pole adapted for wfp use.
What would be more useful IMO on the DIY site would be better descriptions of the poles (i.e. Gangsta, Ron Thompson, etc) the section lengths, total lengths, weights, practical experience using the poles (i.e. whippy, rigid) and so on but keeping it all simple for others to understand and put into practice as well. Too much technical info on saving £7.00 on a goosneck conversion for DIY fishing poles which puts newbies off staying on the site as forum members to start with. :)

ftp

Simplest possible method is to stick a short length of broomhandle with thread in the end of a pole to accept a plastic angle adapter.
Hows that?  ;D

Wayne Thomas

Simplest possible method is to stick a short length of broomhandle in the end of a pole to accept a plastic angle adapter.
Hows that?  ;D

Can you elaborate ;D

Jeff Brimble

Cheers Spruce, it's always nice to get a thankyou for a helpful post .

I'm not sure how the suppliers got wind of Jeff's 'invention' - all modular poles are based on fishing poles - but I'm betting there's a story behind it somewhere.

Oh yes theres a whole story alright, but it would fragment this excellent topic Tosh so thats for another post sometime as it might be embarrassing and I am really enjoying sitting back and let you all do all the work instead of me for a change.  :) :) :) 8)

Jeff Brimble

Re making it simpler, I have just put a link to this topic  from the diy site under Tosh's "DIY Gangster (£60) versus SL2 (£450)" topic, just so you know where it is.
You dont need to use expanding foam with the Zensor, only with the thinner walls of c/f modulars its messy and there is a better alternative for that, but aint got the time to write it  it up just yet.
The Zensor and the Reload/gangster can be alternatavely combined to give to an even  longer pole for occasional use.

geefree

Thanks Tosh,

going back to the gaffer tape as a stop end.... is that so it doestn slip down whilst cleaning... as well as popping out.....

its just that i thought it was simple to detach all parts to pop in the van.... or take a section or two off .... to do downstairs...

but the gaffer tape will soon wear away right?..... so prob needs re-doing regular...

or is it a daft comment ?? ;)

geefree

Also good point made by ftp regarding length and cutting down to fit adaptor etc...

i will always ask questions, wether they are small points or not.... i dont just ask for myself.. i ask for all of us  ;D

heres another one:

has anyone ever snapped one?..... as i have a lot of conervatories.... and i will be stretching over them to clean the upstairs windows ...( when i add more length)...

what are they like for these jobs anyone.?

cheers

gary.

ftp

I've snapped a couple of Gangstas/Reloads i've also snapped an S2 and stepped on an S1 They are whippy( Ron Thompsons) but not unpleasant to work with - never used a Zensorflex.

elite mike

i have held toshs pole today ;D ;D

was really impressed, what a bargain 8)

thanks for your hospitality :)

cheers

mike

ftp

Hows Squeaky getting on with his Gangsta? (should be about twenty six feet i think) only he's been very quiet. Has he snapped it?  :o

Tosh

i have held toshs pole today ;D ;D

was really impressed, what a bargain 8)

thanks for your hospitality :)

cheers

mike

You're welcome, Mike, anytime.

It's a good bit of kit though; for £20 it certainly breaches expectations; it's cheap, but easy to make, easy to use and robust.

Spruce

Hi Tosh

Have converted 2 poles today as the weather is bad up here in the North East.

First pole I used the third section that you recommend to disguard and glued the plastic brush adaptor from the Bentley brush into that section. Having tried it, I agree that it make the pole too flimsy.

The second pole was converted as per your instructions using the 'Emporium' adaptor, and although slightly shorter, appears robust enough to work great. I cleaned the fronts of our house and the neighbours to try it out.

I have given the second one over to Cameron to try tomorrow and see how he goes.

The only pole hose I had was a length of reinforced 11mm OD, so will get some 5mm ID hose which will make it a little more easy to use.

I think the thing we will have to get used to it the modular pole concept, as we have only ever used telescopic.

Thanks again

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Tosh

Spruce,

My next project is the Gangster which is an 11 meter fishing pole (as opposed to the 8 meter Zensorflex); I'm not sure how long a pole this will provide, but I'm hoping it's long enough to do 3 story work.

As with regards to getting used to modular, rather than telescopic; I believe you used to use Unger Teles; they were rotten poles at times to adjust the height; or even worse, when you just wanted to ground floor work, after removing the thin inner pole, it could be a right bugger trying to get it back into the main poles.

With the DIY pole, I love the way I can just 'pop off or on' a section in a fraction of a second; no effort.  Unwanted sections you just lean against a wall, or place on top of a hedge; or similar.

When moving with the pole I either keep the whole thing assembled, or if I've an obstacle in the way, I just half the pole into two peices.  It's easy.

Just make sure you don't leave a section anywhere, when you're finished!  ;D

geefree

Hi Tosh,

all my bits have arrived now so i will have a go now.... ;)

Tosh

Post back after you've done it; tell me what you think.

I'm so excited for you I don't know whether to poo or turn blind!

geefree

i believe you are lol.... it must feel good helping us all make cheap pole....

still cant get my head around the gaffer tape bit.... but i will when i do it i suppose.

will a rubber seal of some sorts do the same job? e.g small hoover belt etc. :)

Tosh

Gazza,

Sometimes you remind me of my Grandmother!  Look, keep it simple, use the gaffer tape; stop being a 'prissy woman'; the pole will look fine.  In fact SL2 users could do the same thing; I've read a recent post where a guy couldn't pull his pole apart because they'd compressed together.

You do understand where to gaffer tape, don't you?

You can make improvements later, just remove the gaffer tape.

FFS (For Flips Sake  ;))

geefree

lol... ok ..

;)   but whats a prissy woman  ;D