This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Big Dave @ CWC

is it a rip off?
« on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:15 am »
i have a well established round, im able to go out an earn £200 a day 5 days a week,

i have had a couple of jobs from alastair stewart ltd letting agent near where im based the last 6 months or so, now i dont need the work but even though they are one offs just b4 tyhey are letted out i do them.  a few days ago i had a call from them to ask if i would do a clean for them, it was a builders clean, new builds, 2 houses. would very appreciate if i could do thenm

Dean Taberner

Re: is it a rip off?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:25:43 am »
i have a well established round, im able to go out an earn £200 a day 5 days a week, 

Impossible  ;D  :o :o :o
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Big Dave @ CWC

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:30:07 am »
post not complete............

i said yes, turned up started, it then realised it was going to take all day to do just one house,  so tried ring their head office but no-one answered, 3pm finally got through, told them as i have postponed a days work to do this i would be charging £200 just to do one house as it was so bad, they refused to pay,

what can i do to make them pay.  i feel badly ripped off.......

Big Dave @ CWC

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:31:18 am »
this place was georgian windows with cement, stickers, dust the lot, it was seriously bad

Dean Taberner

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:08:22 am »
What was the original agreed price?

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Big Dave @ CWC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:26:59 am »
there was none, thats the thing its the way it was with us, i do it then invoice them and theyd pay up no questions asked.

only this one was a much bigger job then usual, i can see where they are coming from, i mean, people are still funny about the fact window cleaners can earn so much a day, more than most plumbers for example. but the fact is, i could have earned £200 by just doing my regulars, so y shouldnt i charge the same for a days work. even if it was only one detached house, i was flat out without a break from 8.30am - 4pm......

seandyer2003

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:34 am »
there was none, thats the thing its the way it was with us, i do it then invoice them and theyd pay up no questions asked.

only this one was a much bigger job then usual, i can see where they are coming from, i mean, people are still funny about the fact window cleaners can earn so much a day, more than most plumbers for example. but the fact is, i could have earned £200 by just doing my regulars, so y shouldnt i charge the same for a days work. even if it was only one detached house, i was flat out without a break from 8.30am - 4pm......

just whack in your invoive mate saying £30 x 7/8 hours whatever, and give them 28 days, then start sending collection letters, they have to pay you its their fault they didnt agree a price, what do you normally charge them an hour??

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:02:56 am »
7 1/2 hrs @ £25.00/hr is £190.00

Perhaps PJ can help you out with a suggestion www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=63435.0

Slash

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:06:56 am »
Paint,tar and eggs come to mind!

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 10:24:50 am »
It was a builders clean for 2 properties, in hindsight, sounds cheap to me.

cybersye

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
The price sounds about right to me,  if £200 was too much, did they give you any indication of what they expected to pay?

ok cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 01:58:40 pm »
Take it as a lesson learnt and next time ???? give them a price first and then do the cleaning.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:09:17 pm »
Ok - put in a bill for £160 with a note explaining how it was so bad etc and why but that due to not having an agreed price you will meet them half way. See what happens and learn for next time.

You've shown reasonableness in an awkward situation and that may elicit a fair response.

If nothing is forthcoming then ask them what they feel is fair for a self employed tradesman doing a full days work (11 hours wasn't it with all the cr*p? ;D) - Take what they offer and don't deal with them again unless the price is agreed beforehand.
It's a game of three halves!

peter holley

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
they still need the other house doing, so i would tell other wc in the area to be wary of this firm as they owe you money,   that will make it difficult for them to find a good wc....

i would still send them an invoice, and maybe put a discount of 20% if they pay within days

Big Dave @ CWC

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 11:36:16 pm »
thanks guys for your response it dont feel so bad now you guys pretty much back me up. but if they dont pay there aint much i can do about it., to take court action would cost me at least £200 so cant go that route, magistrate would proberbly throw it out anyway.          a good lesson learned there, did realised the cost after 20mins there, text me mum to ring them and check they are happy with price, but she was at workand didnty get message,so icouldntdo it myself, thats y me mum is playing secretary for me. just one of those things. if they dont pay, ill simply never work for them again.   shame,they were nice people, but fair play to them, i couldnt see myself paying one window cleaner £200 for one house if i wasnt aware of what they could earn in a day. its easy to feel ripped off isnt it, plumbers only earn maximum £150 per day n they are qaulified......

kenaltobelli

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 11:40:31 am »
as of last week i will no longer do a builders clean done one thurs took 2 hours as soon as i got there all of
   south africa wanted to be where i was finne and what happens someone starts a stihll saw
gets home messages saying windows dirty do again not going back point is they moan they cannot get a cleaner then treat us with contempt :'(l

LWC

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
always agree a price first, you shouldve rang them when you got there to discuss the price

i did this once predicted a price for them, when i got there it was way over what i had estimated so rang them, they were shocked at the price but agreed otherwise i wouldve left it

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 04:21:08 pm »
I got caught like this. Turned up at short notice, took three hours inside and out plus plaster and paint flecked frames and windows working room by room one step ahead of decorator. £80 charged was promised there and then payment but the woman cleared off and said the builder would pay me that night.

I thought i'd done a brilliant job and was able to check from the inside. My hot system really paid off that day(I thought).

When no payment arrived I queried it to be told I hadn't done it right, it wasn't clean, and I missed half of it. When she cleared off it had set alarm bells ringing and I took some before and after pics which at least gave me the confidence that i wasn't imagining that it was mingeing when i started and clean when I finished.

I had to go back and have a furious row, and then do a bit of redoing . I was really angry because I had done this as a favour after I was begged, but it ended costing me money.

She got what she wanted, which was decorating before carpets went down the following day, but this was the point i was no longer needed and could be treated like scum.

peter holley

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 05:09:38 pm »
the problem is that if we have a good established round,we can earn a lot of money in a short amount of time, all be it from xx amount of customers , and so to caarge someone ie (builders clean) the same amount for a days work seems to them a lot of money for so little hours.....

developers dont like spending money ....and so i never take this type of work on, i just dont see the need to as i have a full round.
however if i had a few boys working for me i would send them to do this type of work as it would cover their wages and a little more.

seandyer2003

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 05:20:04 pm »
thanks guys for your response it dont feel so bad now you guys pretty much back me up. but if they dont pay there aint much i can do about it., to take court action would cost me at least £200 so cant go that route, magistrate would proberbly throw it out anyway.          a good lesson learned there, did realised the cost after 20mins there, text me mum to ring them and check they are happy with price, but she was at workand didnty get message,so icouldntdo it myself, thats y me mum is playing secretary for me. just one of those things. if they dont pay, ill simply never work for them again.   shame,they were nice people, but fair play to them, i couldnt see myself paying one window cleaner £200 for one house if i wasnt aware of what they could earn in a day. its easy to feel ripped off isnt it, plumbers only earn maximum £150 per day n they are qaulified......

Dont know where you are, but plumbers earn that in about 4 hours where i am , unles they told you that because they thought you were taxman :)