Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Camden Council Introduce Window Cleaner License
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:15 pm »
Regulations
You can start most businesses right away, as there is no need for registration or licensing. Businesses needing licenses include taxis, street traders, door-to-door sales, window cleaners, childminders, driving instructors and restaurants that serve alcohol.  ;D ;D ;)

www.camden.gov.uk/print/ccm/content/business/small-business/advice-and-support/what-needs-to-be-done-to-start-a-business.en?page=all

matt

Re: Camden Council Introduce Window Cleaner License
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »
isnt it just another tax ? ? ? ?

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:35:33 pm »
isnt it just another tax ? ? ? ?
one I would welcome

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:16:13 pm »
it would have stopped 'inside out' cleaning prince charles and camilla's estate if they had a licence requirement there.

Gerard  :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:33:05 am »
Regulations
You can start most businesses right away, as there is no need for registration or licensing. Businesses needing licenses include taxis, street traders, door-to-door sales, window cleaners, childminders, driving instructors and restaurants that serve alcohol.  ;D ;D ;)

www.camden.gov.uk/print/ccm/content/business/small-business/advice-and-support/what-needs-to-be-done-to-start-a-business.en?page=all

I assume that is Camden in London?  That is NOT the way to go about it IMO.  If licensing is to happen, it would be wrong for Camden to go it alone.  Do it nation wide on one license or don't do it at all is my view.  As things stand, if window cleaners honour the byelaws, people in Camden will struggle to get a W/C service.  Of course, neighbouring boroughs may follow suit which would mean either no service or paying out a fortune for multiple licences.
If it has to happen, it should be co-ordinated or don't bother (IMO of course).
Although it mentions window cleaners in that link, there is not one mention of us in the pdf document on the site.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:01:11 am »
I think its a mistake, I don't work in Camden but I do work in London and I am a London taxi driver so I have my ear pretty close to the ground most of the time.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:15:08 am »
A great idea they should do it in all areas. Where I am there are 2 Firemen who also do part time window cleaning . They are much cheaper than me.
 I am sure they declare it to the tax man

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:27 am »
A great idea they should do it in all areas. Where I am there are 2 Firemen who also do part time window cleaning . They are much cheaper than me.
 I am sure they declare it to the tax man

I'm not convinced that licensing is a great idea anyway.  Good for us legit shiners as far as pay rates go.  Not so good for a shiner who commits a minor transgression and is stopped from working or a shiner who is fitted up/suffers a miscarriage of justice etc.

trike

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:58:47 am »
i wish every city wouild intraduce a window cleaning licence

matt

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:03:34 am »
my only concearn is i work in 5 different council run area's

does that mean i will need to be taxed 5 times again ( on top of my tax i pay now )

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:08:28 am »

It would be better of being run nationally. Or if one council covers you, then your covered anywhere.

pjulk

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »
Im against it as it won't make the slightest bit of differance as it won't be enforced

JSMC

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »
i have one but it isn't really enforced

mark311069

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:08:37 pm »

me to. stop the cowboys

mistersqueegee

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »
I'd love to see a license here in the states but there is alot of opposition. I agree if done properly (annual fee, background check, enforcement) it would eliminate the cowboys.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 04:29:27 pm »
It need to be enforced. But that wont be done. Its just staring to become known in Scotland, and forces are starting to enforce it. But its been going for like 10 years up there (i may be wrong i dont know im not a scottish wc) but if it takes that long to actually get enforced, why bother?

Yes just another Tax.

Its easy to get around if its a small fee, just get insured for the small time it takes to get signed up and then stop the policy... results still the same amount of cowboys.

But if it was to be enforced it would be great for the profession!

DASERVICES

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 04:52:58 pm »
It is now getting enforced in Scotland with a lot being caught and fined.

What you need is a strong organisation which we now have in Scotland working with local authorities. It has to be monitored on a regular basis. The key is pressurising Councils to hit targets in having xx checks, advertising, and I dare say limiting licenses.

The key agruement now being raised by larger companies is that for a taxi driver you have to have a driving license, a street trader will have to undergo by health and saftey training. A window cleaner can get a license with no training. What you may see some time in the future is licenses issued if you have undergone some training on how to use a ladder.

If things start improving you will see the industry profile in Scotlad raised to high standards which will benefit those trying to earn a decent living.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:24 pm »
Im against it as it won't make the slightest bit of differance as it won't be enforced

Good point if it’s not enforced it’s a complete waste.

Should be done through FWC, so window cleaners are not restricted to any particular territory other than England, Scotland, and Wales.

Easiest way to enforce it would be to put people of window cleaning for cash in hand, by having big fines when you are caught.

There also should be a bigger payment at the start, which should last years if not the lifetime of the person who is given the license then a reasonable (at cost) annual fee.

Again this would deter cowboys who might pay a small annual fee, as well as cover admin cost for the license.

You have to look at licensing as not being given permission to window clean, but to raise the image and standards of the trade, by preventing anybody to start cleaning windows other than there own windows.

All professional window cleaners will benefit others wont.

I understand what you are saying.  However, such a system would have prevented me ever starting.  How do you become a "professional" window cleaner?  I did it by borrowing a ladder off a plumber, buying a second hand roofrack plus a few hand tools, and getting out there to knock on doors.  I had been on the dole for a while without the sniff of a job and early on, i actually had to borrow a fiverer from a mate because I had the choice of buying a bit of petrol to last me a couple of days or getting a bit of food in.  Because he lent me a fiver, I managed to do both.
Maybe you were doing better than me when you got started.  I think to have to pay to start a business would be robbery.
There also seem to be differing agendas.  Councils seem to want licenses so that they can make some extra money and to try to reduce certain types of crime.  Existing window cleaners seem to want them as an act of protectionism.  I see that for the first time (as far as I'm aware), there is talk of limiting numbers.  Little baby steps towards giving the control freaks everything they want whilst using fear of losing work as the driving force.

simon knight

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 05:56:19 pm »

Can somebody please define " A cowboy"

mistersqueegee

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 06:14:27 pm »
Over here a cowboy is someone that comes along charging half what everyone else is, working for cash because they aren't claiming anything to the taxman (ode to Lennon), and never improve from there. They just want a fast buck (pound). I think we all know the type.