This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

baldeagle

Frost free?
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:09 pm »
With Winter just around the corner, I'm thinking about how to keep the frost away from the pump, hose and reel overnight, in my "Kangoo".

I've got a small tubular electric heater, but the van has to live on the road, so I cannot run an extension cable across the pavement, plus I can't always park right outside my flat, sometimes I have to park 3 or 4 doors way.

My greenhouse heater runs on paraffin, and last Winter I put it in the van one evening, for about 3 hours, with a window cracked open to give it air, and to cut down on condensation, just as a trial.

Took about six weeks to get rid of the stench!

Is anybody else in a similar position?

I'd like to know how you get around this one.

Baldeagle
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Xline Systems

Re: Frost free?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:30:15 pm »
make all pipework quick release so you can pop it into a bag and take inside over night.

AJ

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 01:45:21 pm »
www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-heating/12-volt-heating.htm

how about this run off a spare battery. Provided its got a thermostat but if not you might get a timer for it.

Just a maybe.

matt

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:54 pm »
www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-heating/12-volt-heating.htm

how about this run off a spare battery. Provided its got a thermostat but if not you might get a timer for it.

Just a maybe.

the trouble with 12 V heaters is that they either are crap, or they use up too much power

thus, not worth the hastle or money

ftp

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
A thimble full of isopropanol to your water does the trick.  ;)

so they say.

matt

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:24:51 pm »
A thimble full of isopropanol to your water does the trick.  ;)

so they say.

are you sure thats not too much, i guess it depends on your tank, is that for a 1000 L tank ? ? ?

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »
I disconnect hose from tank outlet and di and fill a 5 liter container with a mix of water and anti freeze and pump just enough through to sit in entire system ie pump and hose reel, eliminates the chances of anything freezing including 100 meters of hose on reel, takes 5 mins to pump through pure water in morning, never had a problem, cheaper than iso too and readily available everywhere.

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 06:29:20 pm »

Why not just leave as is but on a frosty morning go out to the van and put the heating on full-blast for 10 or 15 minutes before you set off for work?

tacky

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:46 pm »
were do we get that isopro stuff . n how much to put in barrels .thanks tacky

baldeagle

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 01:34:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll go down the "pump some isopropanol doped water into the system at night" option.

I won't ask "what quantity", because that appears to have opened a horrible can of worms on another thread! [Baldeagle grins] - I'll do my own math on that formula.

From what I've also read on another thread, it might be a good idea to take the brushes inside, the poles can be laid up the staircase, with the brushes sitting in a tray at the bottom.

Last Winter I was away in South Africa for a month, and I stored the little "Ro-man" in the bathroom - I see that some of you bring 'em in for the Winter.

I'm arranging to install mine there this year - if it's good enough for you, then it's good enough for me!

Thanks once more!
Baldeagle

"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

ray l

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:40:24 pm »
Last winter each evening I just disconnected the hose from di canister to side port into a bucket and blew thro.
hose on reel I rolled off blew out water and recoiled.
 no water no frost no problem

trevor perry

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:01 pm »
i think cleantech did a 12volt heater last year that just kicks in when temperature drops below freezing might be worth giving them a ring for further information.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt