Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nathanael Jones

Re: New website,.. constructive criticism please!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
how much did that cost ? if you dont mined me asking . or if you dont whont to put on you cud pm me on your forum
The template was $65 or so, Domain name £6 for the year, and a special low price of £100 to put it together (Cause John is a mate!)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
Personally i would prefer to see the service links take you to other pages, as others have said its a bit too congested.

I agree,... but I'd have to charge him more for extra pages! Maybe in a couple of months he'll want to add to the site?

Xline Systems

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:11 pm »
that website looks good mate. better than the muppet that did ours!!!!!!!!!!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:32 pm »
that website looks good mate. better than the muppet that did ours!!!!!!!!!!

Just looked at your site,... there are no meta tags or search engine optimisation bits in the code,... a simple fix, but shoot the designer for not doing that for you. You can have the best looking site in the world, but if Google doesn't put you on the first page, then there really is no point having a website at all.

Xline Systems

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:12:36 pm »
so then how do we do this?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
If you have access to the site to make changes, its a fairly simple job. The lines that start with "meta" are the important ones. Below are the tags off the main page of Johns site (You need tags on every page, each page has to be slightly different as Google penalises you for duplicate links),.. just modify them for your own needs.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="description" content="Services. Window cleaning, pressure washing, abseiling, builders cleans & conservatory cleaning in Fleetwood, Blackpool, Cleveleys, Thornton, Over Wyre, Preston, Garstang, Bolton and Leeds. Window cleaning services for commercial, industrial and residential clients." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Our services include Window cleaning, powerwashing, conservatory cleaning, cherry picker work & atrium cleaning in Fleetwood, window cleaning, window cleaners, Cleveleys, Blackpool, Reach and wash window cleaning, pure water window cleaning." />
<meta name="abstract" content="We provide quality, cost effective &amp; efficient, hi-level window cleaning services including Reach &amp; Wash window cleaning, gutter cleaning, fascia, sign &amp; cladding cleaning for  commercial, industrial and residential customers in the Fleetwood &amp; Blackpool area." />
<meta name="expires" content="Never" />
<meta name="subject" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="category" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="language" content="en" />
<meta name="distribution" content="Local" />
<meta name="author" content="Avondhu Cleaning Services. www.avondhucleaning.com" />
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright Majestic Window Cleaning" />
<meta name="revisit" content="5 Days" />   
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />

<meta name="googlebot" content="yes" />

Yours looks like this:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title></title>

He didn't even put in a page title!

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »
thanks for that Nathanael!

would it be a case of editing the meta tags just copy and past what you have put? (obviously changing the data for my site!)

Do i need to do anything regarding other pages as you said each page needs to be different.. confused on that bit  ???

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
Just delete the old meta tags and paste in the new ones (modifying them for your own business of course). Do this on EVERY page,.. but then go back to all the pages except main page and alter the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags slightly. You can re-use some words,.. but don't have identical tags on 2 different pages, or Google will drop your ranking sharpish.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far guys,.. it all helps improve the final product.

I'll be doing another 3 or 4 sites this month, so I'll post links when they're nearing completion for more critique!
 ;D

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »
Just delete the old meta tags and paste in the new ones (modifying them for your own business of course). Do this on EVERY page,.. but then go back to all the pages except main page and alter the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags slightly. You can re-use some words,.. but don't have identical tags on 2 different pages, or Google will drop your ranking sharpish.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far guys,.. it all helps improve the final product.

I'll be doing another 3 or 4 sites this month, so I'll post links when they're nearing completion for more critique!
 ;D

Thanks for the info regarding SEO!

Time to get the html editor warmed up :P ( I have over 30 pages to edit  ::))

edit..

Is it worth having reciprocal links from other websites?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 05:31:16 pm »
the first impression it gives is that you can do skyscrapers, large buildings from one of them outside lifts? do you? i dont think you do so you might want to change it,
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »
Is it worth having reciprocal links from other websites?
Definitely,.. it does make a big difference. But the quality of the sites linking to you can also affect your ranking. If you've no page rank at all, then any link is good, but if you've managed a page rank of 2 or 3, and the people linking to you are still on zero, it can have an adverse effect.

the first impression it gives is that you can do skyscrapers, large buildings from one of them outside lifts? do you? i dont think you do so you might want to change it,

John does do this kind of work on a regular basis,.. as well as WFP etc.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »
ive run the website in a few browsers and it runs quite slow sometimes, the flash is over the top imo
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »
ive run the website in a few browsers and it runs quite slow sometimes, the flash is over the top imo

Time to check your broadband connection,.. its only 127K for the whole animation!

:)

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:14 pm »

;D

Can you have the same meta tags for different websites? I mean the exact same content in the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags, but just use them on different sites (domains) ?

Would that effect your google ranking in a negative way?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 08:52:43 am »
I doubt it'd do you ranking any good if you did,... I've never tried it myself though.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 09:04:41 am »

John asked me to post this:
www.windowcleaner1.co.uk/builders_cleans.html

;)

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

;D

Can you have the same meta tags for different websites? I mean the exact same content in the "Keywords", "abstract" and "Description" tags, but just use them on different sites (domains) ?

Would that effect your google ranking in a negative way?
they may well class that as spaming.

You did well on changing the site for John Nat, one thing, the pic of van could you blur the edges so it does not look like you have just cut a pic and placed it there apart from that all looks ok.

While I am here if you speak to John could you say I did reply to his email Bt are playing up again on the email server and all emails bounced back highly annoying.

Ian

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
I'll pass on the message Ian!

m.b.s.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »

John asked me to post this:
www.windowcleaner1.co.uk/builders_cleans.html

;)
this is actually john as i met up with him whilst doing this job

Steve CM

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 06:48:10 pm »
nice looking site nathanel, the van looks fine as it is ;)

when you get these templates how are they supplied? how do you customize it for what you want??