Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Have you ever, been warned or warned another window cleaner off an area?

Been warned off an area
Warned someone off my area
both, been and warned off area's
never had any problems myself, but have heard of someone who has
never had any problems that way
window cleaner wars!
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:48 pm »
Ok I have had some fool try this with me, but he was a bottom feeder, only working one street aparently and obviously not working legitimately. I didn't have any customers on the street, so just told him I did work there.

It was two to one, so I wasn't going to start something over customers I didn't have, but if someone ever tryed to stop me from working an area, I dont know what hell I would bring down on them.

We spoke about the right to earn a living earlier, have you ever encountered anyone trying to refuse you one, and what happened.

The last thing you want is other window cleaners giving you hassell, but I have heard allot of stories about this.

Fortunately I have got to know most of the WC in my area and and have worked customers next door to there's. There is always plenty of windows to clean and certainly would never give another window cleaner grief.

However I have made this a pole, incase you have warned off another window cleaner before, what ever your reasons, it will be anonomous, and intresting to see everyones answers.

I would amagine some of the more experienced here will have some stories to tell.

gerard  ;D

stig

Re: window cleaner wars!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:17:37 pm »
i once had a guy come over the road to me and told me he wanted to be the only w/c in that village, and i was to name my price for any work i had there, after a brief chat he was politly told to go forth and multiply.
i wasnt pouching or anything  i was building a round up,
he lasted bout 6mths after that and went on to erect fencing....needless to say i picked up a load of his work...theres enough work out there to go round-  i have known w/cleaners to be up 2 fighting though..sad ay!
dont crap on people on theway up,you might meet um on the way down...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:29:11 pm »
I was warned off once - about 5 years ago. I stood my ground. He backed off.

I have had friendly chats and exchanged helpful advice with other w/c's several times.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:46:09 pm »
I had been cleaning windows in a village for around a year. One day I was up the ladder doing the rear of a terrace house when I heard..  "Oi you" I looked down and there were a couple of real nasty looking no-necks standing just the other side of the garden wall. I asked what was up and they told me that this was the last time I would be doing any work in the village coz they were "taking over" from now on. I whipped down the ladder real fast (Coz I'm brainy)  :o and asked them what they meant. They told me I could have a nasty accident if I came back again. I got really angry and told them I would be back whatever threats they made. They wandered off issuing threats of all sorts.

I called the police about it and got no real help at all. Next time round I made sure someone was with me all the time and was ready for whatever might happen. These guys wern't regular cleaners in that village coz I knew the other couple who did it as well. I spoke to the other guys and they told me the same had happened to them Nothing ever did happen but I have to admit it was not a nice experience.

This may cause a few remarks but I don't believe in so-called patches. I never undercut anyone for work while window cleaning but it never stopped me canvassing any area. Window cleaning is no different to any other business. You keep your customers by looking after them.

Andrew

MNWC

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:01:16 pm »
im six foot 2, 18 stone with a shaven head .....so no i havent been threatened  ;D

tomy jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:39:30 pm »
iv had it big lad but when it came down to it he wosent up to it , then the same houses after he qit with emfsemera , 3 lads on dole started washing them and thay thetend me onece agane not up to it , i cud have them all but i dident  whont any moor work at the time as it wos over a year since he qit

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:42:52 pm »
im six foot 2, 18 stone with a shaven head .....so no i havent been threatened  ;D

That's a good description.

If I ever see you on any of my patches, I'll knock you out; big style; I hate baldy gits.

There, you've been threatened!

;)

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »
Here in SW London we all get on well (there's loads and loads of houses to go round...thank God!).  In fact earlier this week I footed another blokes ladders while he did the tricky bit on the house he was cleaning 3 along from me.

trike

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:07:05 pm »
marcus you have changed since phot took then ;D ;D.
i have never come across anything like it befor,i know all local w/c,we all stop and chat,and never go in each others area,if any custies ask,we pass on to who ever does that area,everyones happy.

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 05:23:06 pm »
lol

I am 6 foot and 12 stone 4 pounds and wouldn't be worried with a pic like that, so I doubt he would be

I hope that isn't one from a wild weekend or anything tosh

gerard  ;D

Gerard,

If you met me down a dark alley, while I was wearing my 'attire', I can assure you that you would be very very worried.  ;)

But to get back on topic, when I first started up I was threatened by a window cleaner's Dad.  I kid you not.  He was a black guy, dressed very nicely, and tried to do the 'gangster thing' to me, saying he knew where I lived and what school the Little Un went to.

Of course I got all 'Geordie', (let's go now... etc), but it was in a carpark of the local Tesco Express.  I phoned the police after, they were helfull, and I'd advise anyone whose threatened to do the same; and I cracked on in the area I was warned from.

The idiot window cleaner stopped window cleaning a few months after.  It was obviously too much like hard work for him.

But on the whole, the window cleaners in the Chepstow area (and I know just about all of them) get on well with each other; though there are some exceptions; and the 'exceptions' tolerate each other without anything getting out-of-hand.

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
i make a point of introducing myself to window cleaners in the area.
I have always found that to be good to get a mutal respect

Dean Taberner

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:21 pm »
Somebody threatened to rip my teeth out once so I threatened to arrest them. ;D ;D
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »

Ditto  :)

I know a guy who had his ladder shaken by a couple of thugs.  That might not have been so bad but he was up it at the time.  I'm not into fighting but if I was in a corner I wouldn't hold back - nothing left to lose and all that.  I would certainly go to the old bill about it too and insist that they put it on record.  Not much help when they start on you though.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:03 pm »
lol

I am 6 foot and 12 stone 4 pounds and wouldn't be worried with a pic like that, so I doubt he would be

I hope that isn't one from a wild weekend or anything tosh

gerard  ;D

Gerard,

If you met me down a dark alley, while I was wearing my 'attire', I can assure you that you would be very very worried.  ;)

But to get back on topic, when I first started up I was threatened by a window cleaner's Dad.  I kid you not.  He was a black guy, dressed very nicely, and tried to do the 'gangster thing' to me, saying he knew where I lived and what school the Little Un went to.

Of course I got all 'Geordie', (let's go now... etc), but it was in a carpark of the local Tesco Express.  I phoned the police after, they were helfull, and I'd advise anyone whose threatened to do the same; and I cracked on in the area I was warned from.

The idiot window cleaner stopped window cleaning a few months after.  It was obviously too much like hard work for him.

But on the whole, the window cleaners in the Chepstow area (and I know just about all of them) get on well with each other; though there are some exceptions; and the 'exceptions' tolerate each other without anything getting out-of-hand.

Going all "Geordie" on him would have been really helpful.  It's a good idea in a situation like that when no-one can understand what you're saying  :)  .  Especially if you're insulting them.

seandyer2003

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:54:16 pm »
I always approach any fellow Wc's in my area to tell em to do one, i mean to say hello :) No seriously though i always take effort to make friends and it has always lead to good things, one time i found out the guy lived on a round i had elsewhere and he bought it because i was getting rid, and other times i have bought work, or found out where there is no WC etc, so i have no problem with another cleaner in the same area , and here in Manchester there can be 4-5 cleaners in one street and i have NEVER lost a job to another fingers crossed, but they all seem to come and go :)

Ian W

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 07:24:52 pm »
Never been threatened and I always say hello or acknowledge any other cleaners. Keeping it friendly helps I reckon.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
sorry fat boy but you asked for this ;D ;D
he may look big and tough but he still wimped out of helping me mind the door at a local bands night that my son organised ;D
15 yr od kids ::)
big girls blouse
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 08:20:19 pm »
The gangster must be daft to threaten ex forces.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »
personally i abhor violence and confrontation
i try to avoid all such situations ;)

MNWC

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 08:36:44 pm »
he may look big and tough but he still wimped out of helping me mind the door at a local bands night that my son organised

big girls blouse

Lets keep it on topic Mr Thorpe !!

By the way just how did you lose the sight in one eye