This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kris martin

Has anybody ever become a partner..
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:14 am »
i was just wondering how you go about joining businesses with somebody, has anybody done this before (with a fellow WC) do you merge the 2 businesses together or do you end both businesses and start up a new one (partnership) taking over the customer base... this might seem like a daft question (ask the accountant sort of thing) but i was wanting to know the general gist of it...

David Slater

Re: Has anybody ever become a partner..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:07 am »
i was just wondering how you go about joining businesses with somebody, has anybody done this before (with a fellow WC) do you merge the 2 businesses together or do you end both businesses and start up a new one (partnership) taking over the customer base... this might seem like a daft question (ask the accountant sort of thing) but i was wanting to know the general gist of it...

I've never done anything like this.

I would have thought you would look at the value of each individual business (poles, vehicles, systems, cashflow, profitability, customer base).
Then one person would probably need to 'top up' or 'inject' a sum of money to get to parity in the new combined business.

Unless one person is bringing a certain expertise (maybe he's a red hot salesman or has excellent commercial contacts) then you could say that in itself is worth a percentage of the new combined business.

I suppose it all comes down to your own gut feeling over which way to go.

kris martin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:58:38 am »
we have already workked together loads and often share each others equipment and even chipped together to buy equipment, it dosnt really matter if one of us as more than the other once joined it will be 50/50 in all aspects... its just the thought of merging sounds complicated but too close the businesses down and create a new one sounds a lot more simple and was just wondering if you can actually go about it this way...

poleman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:37:23 am »
You would need to get eventhing down in writing! any partnership can go bad!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:39:39 am »
Yup.

He was a mate and it was a friggin disaster. He'll read this and probably laugh to himself about it.

We dont work together anymore and now we're chums again  ;D

elite mike

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:00:21 am »
dont forget you will be liable for your partners tax if they default :(

ronnie paton

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:36:48 am »
Remeember though the vat threshold will still be the same all though there is two earnings.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:45:55 am »
we have already workked together loads and often share each others equipment and even chipped together to buy equipment, it dosnt really matter if one of us as more than the other once joined it will be 50/50 in all aspects... its just the thought of merging sounds complicated but too close the businesses down and create a new one sounds a lot more simple and was just wondering if you can actually go about it this way...

You close both down, and pay up the tax owed, then open another business and start a fresh.
Someone has already said that your still liable for all the tax if the partner does not pay, |I m8 of mine got stung 11k from a partnership

kris martin

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:45 am »
You close both down, and pay up the tax owed, then open another business and start a fresh.
Someone has already said that your still liable for all the tax if the partner does not pay, |I m8 of mine got stung 11k from a partnership

i thought that this would be the easiest way... i'm not worried about him not paying his fair share this would never be an issue, i have worked with him on a very regular basis for 8 years now, never a cross word and i've know him all my life (best buddies if ya like) and i'd trust him with my life so that really isnt an issue, i would be sceptical if i diddnt know him that well but we are both thinking share costs, van, fuel, equipment etc.... 

what are the disadvantages of VAT registered

carlton care

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 09:27:09 am »
Your charges will have to go up
You will need to spend more time on bookkeeping
You only have to register if you are exceeding £64 k per annum
As separate entities you can probably avoid VAT registration
You will be an unpaid tax collector !

kris martin

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:31:15 am »
Your charges will have to go up
You will need to spend more time on bookkeeping
You only have to register if you are exceeding £64 k per annum
As separate entities you can probably avoid VAT registration
You will be an unpaid tax collector !
how would you go about getting things like van etc in both of our names and is it legal to stay as seperate entities?

matt

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 09:51:46 am »
why not keep the work you have and just team up with vans etc etc, if you want to work together then just split the profits from the work you both do, at least that way you will both still be liable for your own affairs and still own your own work if it all goes wrong

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 09:59:54 am »
Kris.

This advice is given to you in both yours and your mates best interests.

DONT DO IT!!!

You have a lifelong friend and are happily working together as seperate entities. Keep it that way PLEASE!!

There is a very good pice of advice that is so true..  DONT mix friends and family with business. Matts advice above is right.

Andrew

kris martin

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 10:06:29 am »
why not keep the work you have and just team up with vans etc etc, if you want to work together then just split the profits from the work you both do, at least that way you will both still be liable for your own affairs and still own your own work if it all goes wrong

is this a legal way of doing it because if you can do it this way i would prefer to do it this way but also how would you go about getting finance for van through the company and splitting it off tax deductions...

borg

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »
like andrew said DONT DO IT i done it and it went all tits up i will never go into businesse with any 1 again and lost money out of it 2 .

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 02:20:49 pm »
In a partnership all the partners are liable for the tax.  So if your partner doesn't pay up his share, then the tax man will come knocking on your door.  Not a problem with a husband and wife team, but I wouldn't want to gamble it with even a good friend.

Simon.

kris martin

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 02:31:30 pm »
ok then, we want to work together, share equipment, costs, van etc can we do this and be employed but still cut the bills down the middle????????

seandyer2003

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 03:17:29 pm »
I dont have good experiences with partnerships, not many people are able to share 50/50, they will always feel like they deserve more than you, just work together as said above, but keep books etc seperate i would say.

Jimmy1

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:17:59 pm »
I was wondering if I want to make my wife a partner how do I go about this? Do I just inform the accountant before he sends my return in? or do I have to notify the tax office? or am I allowed to claim my wifes tax allowance as she doesent work? can anyone advise please - jimmy

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »
jimmy
You will need to inform the tax office if you want to set up a partnership with your wife. It's not hard to do and does let you use your wife's personal allowence, she will get a tax bill as well. You could always let your accountant take care of it and just sign the relevent forms at the end of te day.

Simon.