This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Reflective Property Services

Difficult windows - how to access?
« on: February 04, 2005, 09:27:03 am »
I have been asked to tender for a retirement home that is in the final stages of completion. The ground and first floor windows are easy, but I havent got a clue how Im going to access the second floor windows.

They are built set right into the sloping roof, a bit like dormer windows, but inverted if you know what I mean? The top of the window is flush with the slope of the roof, then you have the height of the window, then at the bottom of the window, you have about 4 feet of leading coming out horizontally to meet the slope of the roof again. You then have about another 4 feet of roof before the edge. A bit like this viewing it side on...

/\          Dormer windows would be like this... /\_ understand what I mean about being inverted?
  |_                                                            |
     \                                                            \

The leading underneath the window wouldnt be strong enough to stand on, so even if I could get up to the window that wouldnt be possible. Also access from inside is not an option, since it makes up about 20 different flats which I would have to visit, I cant see the residents being happy about that!!

I thought about maybe WFP, but with that 4 foot of leading, and the other 4 foot of roof below that, I would have to stand about 15 feet from the building, even with an angled extension.

Oh, and cherry pickers/scissor lifts are not viable options either, its all gardens below, with shrubs and flower beds everywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have truly racked my brains over this, and I cant come up with anything
Cheers
Alex Freegard

Roy Harding

Re: Difficult windows - how to access?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 04:43:56 pm »
Can you get your ladder up to the lead and reach in and do them with a telescopic pot?

Jake

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 07:50:41 pm »
Alex

There is the possibility that those windows might just be 'tilt and turn' , check with the builder, if they are an 'easy clean type, you can clean them from inside'

Regards... Jake
Exeter, Devon

karlosdaze

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 12:48:10 am »
Anything is possible.
There is no bad job, just a well priced one.
Have you looked at hiring?
Something like this:-
http://www.facelift.co.uk/machine_finder/machine_details.cfm?machine_ID=283

matt

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 06:52:54 pm »
ladder up to the roof then WFP them, use a light pole with thin hose to the ground, should keep weight down

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 07:08:26 pm »
hi there,

if this is a building that is being completed, ie fininshing being built the building regs would have made a provision, that these windows would have to be 'easy clean windows' 

i would want to visit site and have a good look at them,  even the first floor windows should be accessiblke enough from indoors to clean

regards

martin

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:11:13 am »
Thanks for the replys guys.

Unfortunately I dont think doing them from the inside is a viable option. The windows are all big one pane jobbies, all hinged at the top, so to do them from the inside I think I would have to climb out of the window onto the leading  :-\ dont think it would support my weight? and Im not sure they would open enough for me to squeeze my fay belly through  ;D

Even without the leading/climbing in and out, it would be a lot of hassle, its a retirement home, so I would have to knock on every old ladies door on that floor, "Hello, my dear, Ive come to clean your windows" " Oh sorry, young man, I was just going down to the lounge to have a natter with the other blue rinses here, can you come back later?"  ;D ::)

I dont think hiring a machine for access (cherry picker etc) would go down too well either, it would 1) hike the price up & 2) chew up the lawns so theyd have to have the grounds people in after Id been?

WFP up the ladder isnt a bad idea, but Im not sure that the angle would be sufficient to enable me to reach the bottom of the window without going up the ladder above the edge of the roof.  :-\

Food for thought anyway, maybe I'll give them a couple of different quotes, based on different methods? If anybody can come up with any other ideas in the meantime...? Cheers
Alex Freegard

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 11:50:54 am »
hi there,

if the building is being completed at the present i would be tempted to ask the project manager and the architect, for the preffered method of clenaing these windows.  they would have had to have to have had a method in mind when they designed the building..  its ridiculous

this is why buildings have eye bolts, and certified anchorage points, or even rail systems.

regards

martin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 03:35:41 pm »
hi there,

if the building is being completed at the present i would be tempted to ask the project manager and the architect, for the preffered method of clenaing these windows.  they would have had to have to have had a method in mind when they designed the building..  its ridiculous

this is why buildings have eye bolts, and certified anchorage points, or even rail systems.

regards

martin

Mmm, thats an idea, they cant come back and moan about it then :D

I'll see if I can find out... Cheers
Alex Freegard

Mr.G

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 07:11:54 pm »
a large plank on the lead might support your weight?

martin19842

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 07:16:45 pm »
hi there.

mr g,

i wouldnt want to put that in a method statement.  and the associated risk assessment

regards

martin

Mr.G

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 07:22:21 pm »
martin whats a method statement? sounds like something to be avoided!

martin19842

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 08:20:11 pm »
hi there,

mr g, may i suggest that you search the forum.

may i also suggest that if you are looking at any commercial work,

when the client asks for a 'method statement' and 'risk assessment',

dont answer

'what are they'

they probably wouldnt be impressed.

regards

martin