Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

** WHICH WAY ROUND ? **
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
Ive been doing my cleaning up til now as follows

1: pre vac
2:spotting / stain removal
3: prespray
4:aggitate
5: hwe/bonnet/encaps

but the last few cleans i have not only found the job being much quicker but easier as the fibres are allready wet as follows

2:pre spray
3:aggitate
4:hwe/bonnet/encaps
5:spotting / stain removal

is this just how you feel yourself on whats best for you or the best way to clean as the first way seems much harder work and a longer process?

regards

steve
3:

derek west

Re: ** WHICH WAY ROUND ? **
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
i'm only new but this is what i think, if you spot before then your wasting time on stains that may come out with your standard cleaning methods, i thought about this and i clean first and whatevers lefts get out manuallly. just my opinion which doesnt count cos i'm new but thought i'd answer first. be interesting to see what the experts say.

Donato

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:34:10 pm »
steve,
I asked the same question at the recent NCCA spot and stain removal course and the answer was "generally" clean first and then spot and stain, although there are some exceptions like pollen (recent thread) , ink ....others?? where the addition of water could cause make the stain worse.

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:35:23 pm »
2:pre spray
3:aggitate
4:hwe/bonnet/encaps
5:spotting / stain removal

Always works great for me...why spot before cleaning...like they say it might come out during the clean and does most of the time...but its each to there own.
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Gerry Styles

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »
When I did Prochem course I as taught to remove stains before cleaning

1. prevac
2. stain removal
3. prespray/agitate
4. clean

Still if it works for you do it as you feel comfortable
Premier Klean Limited

davep

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »
Most stains come out with the clean, you can usually spot the ones that need pretreating?

markpowell

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »
The reason for the stain removal first is incase you need to use solvents.
Solvents have no effect on wet fibres as the oil floats on the water and doesnt get to the fibre .
Mark

Dave_Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »
Dont forget guys unless you are there to specifically attempt to remove a stain or stains, you cant afford to spend a lot of time or solutions on them. In the course of general carpt cleaning of course it is right that you should treat a stain with the appropriatte solution, but if it doesnt come out, dont go at it again and again. Only do that if the stain is the primary reason for your visit. The customer will understand if you qualify the chances of removal prior to cleaning.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:10 pm »
Each job to its own.
If all the stains/marks are water soluable (ask or do a quick test) then finish off any remaining stains after the clean.
If you've got something likely to spread (ink etc) then spot clean first.

Roy Edwards

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:22:57 pm »
The logic in spotting/stain removal  before you hwe is to try and finish with a neutral carpet ,if you leave all your spotting at the end how do you then wash it out .

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
Uhm, with an extraction unit?

I think most guys would post-spot by keeping the m/c running  and spotting/rinsing their way back over the carpet.

davep

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »
Determine what the spots are by interagating the custy, then decide what to do.  Although its normally a case of.. 'oohh never seen that before,  my husband sits there,   it was the kids etc etc..'

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
You first need to differentiate between spots and stains.

In the real world, most stains have everything from under the kitchen sink added to it, so you usually need to remove that first before you tackle the stain itself, so you end up treating the stains after the clean.

But yes, traditional procedure is to treat stains before cleaning.  For the above reason, most of us now treat afterwards.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

carlton care

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:26:01 am »
Just " spotted " this post as I was leaving. Only thing I'd add, is the possibility of masking spots, if you clean first.