This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Hydrophobic seals?
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:33 am »
Some windows on my round, and also my own house, have got Hydrophobic glass, which is fine to clean, but somehow the top rubber seal ( think it's actually called gasket?) holds the drips, which is quite annoying, because they drip down long after you've done the window.

What I'm doing now, is clean the frame first completely, then go over the top strip of glass of the window a couple of times, then turn the flow trigger off, and quickly go over the drips hanging from the top seal, or catch them with the bristles, then do the rest of the glass, making sure not to hit the top of the glass, especially not the seal. Usually this does the trick. It's still very difficult to master though.

When the run dries, there are little spots in a trail going down. It's very easy to spot, and I check the windows, if they have a run, I just run the microfibre vertically. Doesn't happen a lot anymore, but it really gets me.

How do you clean these windows? I don't get this on painted frames, it's almost like the top seal holds dirt, or perhaps the frame, if everything
would be very clean, it wouldn't necessarily leave those spots would it?

It's a real pain.  :-\

Re: Hydrophobic seals?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:14:18 am »
Some windows on my round, and also my own house, have got Hydrophobic glass, which is fine to clean, but somehow the top rubber seal ( think it's actually called gasket?) holds the drips, which is quite annoying, because they drip down long after you've done the window.

What I'm doing now, is clean the frame first completely, then go over the top strip of glass of the window a couple of times, then turn the flow trigger off, and quickly go over the drips hanging from the top seal, or catch them with the bristles, then do the rest of the glass, making sure not to hit the top of the glass, especially not the seal. Usually this does the trick. It's still very difficult to master though.

When the run dries, there are little spots in a trail going down. It's very easy to spot, and I check the windows, if they have a run, I just run the microfibre vertically. Doesn't happen a lot anymore, but it really gets me.

How do you clean these windows? I don't get this on painted frames, it's almost like the top seal holds dirt, or perhaps the frame, if everything
would be very clean, it wouldn't necessarily leave those spots would it?

It's a real pain.  :-\
how many times have you cleaned these windows ?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:58:25 am »
I've cleaned my own windows about 5 times now, and I still get that. If the drip drops so to speak, it still leaves a trail. It seems to be getting less and less though, but it's a real pain.

Do you experience window seals like that?

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:13 am »
I have a place (an office for a builder) with wooden frames, theyve been done about 5 times with the pole and prior to that Id done then for 9 years with fairy; so fairly loaded with detergent.  Im still getting some runs, very little now though, but some even though. I put it down to the fact that theyre wooden frames and will come good eventually.

Matt

cat9921

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:17:35 am »
I know exactly how you feel. What is happening is this the pure water is getting under the seal and is getting all the gunk out and leaving spots  :'(

There isnt a lot that you can do unfortunatly, the first thing is well done for checking your work you will get more confident in the WFP as time goes on but you need to learn what windows can be done with the reach & wash and what windows cannot be cleaned....

On my round I have windows like this

If its a downstairs window That spots I just blade it off

If its an upstairs window its either a ladder job or I give it a good clean plenty of scrubbing at the top of the window with a high flow let it dry then go back for a quick clean with a low flow this works but not always

Adders Rinse and clean

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:28 pm »