Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M.Acorn

3 piece suite fabric ident ?
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »
Hi folks prob going to get shot down in flames for this post,been and quoted on two 2 seat sofas armchair and stool type thing,pale fabric visible weave sort of effect to it and quite shiny,not sure how else to describe it ,a little bit like a very tightly woven hessian ,but not hessian,if that makes sense ?
It was pretty dirty quoted £200 inc Aqua seal when done,any tips for getting it like new.
also doing their carpets lounge and diner £100.
Ta
What goes around comes around

Mike Halliday

Re: 3 piece suite fabric ident ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
'any tips for getting it like new'

You could try reupholstering it in the same fabric! ;D ;D

you are already starting out with a negative & defeatist attitude!

just clean it as you would with any other suite, I use M/S on all the suites I clean, always works for me :)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carlton care

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:49:13 pm »
Don't you think if you have the brass neck to charge top end prices, you might be cabable of completing the job successfully.

This is exactly the reason I've been critical of telling new or inexperienced people to charge high, when they have, in my opinion no right whatsoever to do so.

Perhaps the people coming out with such blatantly stupid suggestions might read this and appreciate my comments, more, but probably not.

You all know what you would call a Tiler / Roofer / Plumber who arrived at your home to carry out work only to discover they were inadequately trained for the job, but had quoted " top dollar " giving you a false sense of security.

Mark
No malice intended and not a personal attack. As you've been posting on here for some time, I know you must have some knowledge and if in doubt..................prespray ( mist ) with m/s aggitate with appropriate item and extract. An alternative safe method would be to use encap foam and one of the little hand bonnets.......

robert m

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »
Clean a small unseen area with something like fab restorer and acid rinse, the dry witha hairdryer. If the material doesn't fall aprt, doesn't bleed etc then you are probably ok.

If I had no idea I probably have snipped a bit off the swatch if there was one and done 'experiments' on it at home to determine what it was. But I'm a bit sad.

ignore the bitter a twisted one, he's not very well cos he's cleaned too many suites too cheap in his time. ;D

markpowell

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:59:49 pm »
Ultrapac renovate and fabric fibre rinse if its really bad, otherwise pureclean.
Well done for getting the job at a decent price and dont be scared to ask advice on here, thats what this forum is for.
Good luck with it  :)
Mark

M.Acorn

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:00:26 pm »
Well i was going to pre spray with  Fabric restorer and work this into the really bad problem areas,then extract with fib and fab rinse in the tank,then finnish with Aqua seal.
Just after a few pointers if my chosen plan of attack was not succesfull,as it`s heavily soiled ,wish i had not bothered asking now .Thought this forum was all about help and advice not moaning about what people charge,got shot down last week for not charging enough,now getting moaned at for going in high ! i have been running my business succesfully for the last 4 years,constantly buying new bit`s of kit to make what i do even better for the customer..
P.s Thanks Mike  :)
There was not a swatch in sight though so will try a bit round the back first,i have seen some suites with the dry clean only on the tag,i have wet cleaned them in the past without a detrimental effect,so assume furniture manuf`s put them on to cover their asses ?

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »
Clean the zip part of a cushion. Get it bone dry and look at it closely.

Do you have an airmover and a low moisture handtool like CFR. These will be a good investment as will an upholstery course like NCCA

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:09:17 pm »
If my prices were set on my ability to identify fabrics I'd be on skid row :-\ :-\

Mark  just do your best, fabric restorer is an excellent pre-spray, if that doesn't work then anything else will only offer limited improvement.

Kens Oxi-fibrebuff-shampoo mix has been said to improve some cleaning results, might be worth a try

M.Acorn

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:17:14 pm »
Yes i have an airmover 1hp 3 settings snail shape thing.will borrow the wifes hairdryer too ,can put that along with the iron i borrowed last year for red rx  :) .
Yes likewise here ,will carry out test and test again to be safe. Thanks for the good advice guy`s  :)

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:48:20 pm »
Mark,

it may be a good idea to get yourself a hair dryer to carry in your van,  I find a use for mine at least once a fortnight,  for use with sodiom/meta  essential imo

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:50:49 pm »
It wasn't really necessary to post your pricing, was it?  Bound to start a few people off!

I've never used the chems mentioned above, I've been getting fantastic results lately with M-Power and plenty of agitation & dwell.

Next time you feel like splashing out on something, spend a few hundred on a Minitex, they're bloody brilliant, especially on pile fabrics that need a good agitation.  I've even just agitated with the tampico attachment and then used the bonnets to give results that I'm sure my previous extraction methods wouldn't achieve.

lands

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56:47 pm »
Mark,

it may be a good idea to get yourself a hair dryer to carry in your van,  I find a use for mine at least once a fortnight,  for use with sodiom/meta  essential imo

geoff

Geoff, do you find that S/M works with forced drying? Not tried it forced myself but thought reaction took place during an unforced drying period. If it does great as I will start doing it this way

Pete

gwrightson

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:02:40 pm »
Pete,

the reason I use drier is to speed up the process, therfore determining the likely reults much faster,
having said that , if i,m honest I didnt think natrual drying gave better results because I,ve never waited :)  so who knows ?
I have had a great succes rate by speed drying.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

lands

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »
Thats good enough for me. Got a pee stain on a wool rug that has a hessian backing so won't be saturating that. Will try it on that

Cheers Geoff

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:46 pm »
Robert, I know you,ve had this bee in your bonnet about pricing for a long time so we shan't dwell on it. However I deal with a lot of franchises who charge far more than the average carpet cleaner typically using staff to do the cleaning. Try telling them that they are too expensive and they'll just laugh and ask you "well who's going to buy my next Range Rover".
Its a businesss. Businesses are to make money. You can tack all the customer care on to it but at the end of the day its to make money.

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:50 pm »
Minitex ? as in a rotary scrubber type thing ? got something similar that i polish my car with .would be scared to go near fabric with one of those.Have never deviated from using Prochem chemicals ,and i have it advertised on my website that that is all i use,the customer that booked me had printed off pages from my site  :) so can`t use anything else really.
and i don`t charge anything near Ch%$dry prices

gwrightson

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 07:09:09 pm »
I cant understand your logic marc :o

Surly , are you not entitled to change your solution/chemicals ?
surlly , the custy is not going to insist on you using prochem only!!!

and if he is insistent, simply tell him that in your opinion as a professional c/c you feel that another product is best suited for the task in hand .
i cant really see a problem

geoff

Joe H

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 07:20:19 pm »
Marc
If this is the bit from your website, it doesnt mention you only use Prochem chemicals, you use industry leading chemicals which could include Prochem but also any others you deem fit..

"Using the top of the range Prochem™ high pressure hot water extraction machines, alongside industry leading chemicals"

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 12:53:55 am »
Minitex ? as in a rotary scrubber type thing ? got something similar that i polish my car with .would be scared to go near fabric with one of those.
How very short-sighted and closed-minded of you :)

Where are you in Cambs?  I'm just along the A14, nip over and borrow mine for a day ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 07:11:01 am »
you must be cleaning some minging suites if you need to use mechanical agitation on them.

I can understand why its needed on carpets were the pre-spray needs working into the depth of the carpet or heavy soil needs breaking up to allow the pre-spray to attack the dirt.

but on fabric the dirt is just sat their on the surface and its not thick, I think a light brush is sufficient.