This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Totally disillusioned
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:39 pm »
I've had enough of this. >:(

Supposed to be going on holiday next week, but I'm going to have no money.
Totally out of work once again by 12.00 today, £80-odd done.
About £70 to do tomorrow if I'm lucky.
2 houses on friday.

That'll pay the bills, but sod all left over.

I've only had 2 new jobs in the last 2 or 3 months, and they both wanted 8-weekly, as have lots of my existing ones become.

While others around me boast about these £80 jobs they get and £200+ days.

Either other people are very lucky with the work they get, or they're exaggerating.
To me, this job is crap and getting worse.
I was making more money 5 years ago than I am now, and I've got a van and everything else to pay for.

I've had enough.
There's no job I'm going to walk into that will pay decent, so where to from here?
The bloody Severn Bridge at this rate.

Why did I post this?
God knows...no good bottling it up. :(

Davie T

Re: Totally disillusioned
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »
" One " could very rude and ask why you are not out canvassing for new business ?
Please do not take this as a cynically rude reply however after reading your post that is the very first thing that came into my mind.  I do know I too am not working but I have not complained about business in general.

Regards and I do hope it picks up for you.

Davie

WCE

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:49:29 pm »
Hi Squeaky!, I know you are down but it can't all be that bad! You say that you only have gained 2 customers in the last 3 months but how did you get them? How do you advertise yourself? What about canvassing? When I use to be short of work I would canvass every evening between 6-8 pm Monday to Friday then 10-4 Saturday Yes some nights I would walk away with nothing but others loads. I found that on average I would get two new customers per hour. So thats an average of 28 per week. Even at say £5.00 each thats £140 p.w extra. It might be a bit late to help you for the holiday but I would recommend trying it when you get back. 
Pete ;)
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:53:54 pm »
Nobody else needs to canvass, they just get work on a plate all the time.

As it is, I have advertised in a village where I wanted more work with no results.
Then another window cleaner today says he has some new ones to do there, with no advertising at all.

WCE

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:58:52 pm »

Not true you just think they do because your down!
As it is, I have advertised in a village where I wanted more work with no results.
Then another window cleaner today says he has some new ones to do there, with no advertising at all.

And how did he get them? Canvassing? Recommendation? You say you were advertising in the village how exactly? I am not trying to have a dig I just thought that if you gave us some background then maybe we could steer you in the right direction.

WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Steve CM

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »
surely people don't get handed work all the time do they?

you need to keep injecting business, the more you put yourself about the more work you'll have coming in.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »

You need to sit down and think what your are doing wrong m8, something has to be wrong if others are not having this problem.
I know you do not like people saying you are doing something wrong but you are either the most unlucky bloke in the world or your doing something wrong, I would go for the later IMO it's not a knock at you, just trying to help

R.V.A Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:26 pm »
Holiday, i've not been away on holiday for 9yrs :'(
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

pingu

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »
You sound really down...sorry to hear this.....but you know as well as I do (you've been around long enough)...you just need to get out and leaflet/knock on doors and wear out some boot leather....you're a bright enough guy despite being a bit of a numpty sometimes  ;) ....

Just get out an give you're self something to work harder for..perhaps some new camera gear? or just a a nice treat....

I hope you feel better about it all soon

Dave.

davids3511

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:41 pm »

Hi Squeaky

That's not true. I only picked up about 2 or 3 jobs in the last few months by doing nothing other than being in the right place at the right time. The other 30 I picked up was directly from leafletting. I have picked up nearly 240 in the last 11 months and the vast vajority was from a leaflet they needed to put in the window. I get down from time to time but I remind myself the hard work is done, I had months during the winter where nearly everything was a first or second clean. Now they are on 6,7,8 or even 9 and it is getting easier.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:41 pm »
And how did he get them? Canvassing? Recommendation? You say you were advertising in the village how exactly? I am not trying to have a dig I just thought that if you gave us some background then maybe we could steer you in the right direction.
I was advertising in the shop and pub, and put the word out with existing customers.
He just bumped into someone.

surely people don't get handed work all the time do they?
It appears so.
I don't know anyone around here who canvasses.

You sound really down...sorry to hear this.....but you know as well as I do (you've been around long enough)...you just need to get out and leaflet/knock on doors and wear out some boot leather....
Last time I did that I got 1 new one from hundreds of leaflets and door knocks.
..and that was before the credit crunch we have now...

Cheers anyway everyone. :)

matt

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »
ive only picked up a few in the past few months, they have all been very nice, ( i feel my rate of picking up new customers is slow because i only have a few select area's i work in, the rest i pass on to others )

you need something to aim for, as pingu said, aim for some new camera kit or a holiday

im starting to head down the slope of being cheesed off with this again, nothing wrong with the job, its just so dull

ftp

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:38:46 pm »
I've picked up work from other cleaners who have full rounds. One cleaner who's been at it for twenty five years, who a lot of people think is a right miserable sod has given me work too. Always worth keeping in with local cleaners - it won't be the cream but at least it's work.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
I advertise in the local Parish Magazine (good results from that); the local shop, with a nice glossy flyer (crap results) and the van is sign-written (excellent results from that, immediate results too).  I have work coming in pretty regularly because of this; do you offer and advertise for gutter cleaning, fascia and soffit cleaning Roger?

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:54:50 pm »
Matt said -
im starting to head down the slope of being cheesed off with this again, nothing wrong with the job, its just so dull

I know the feeling i have been really cheesed off with it the last few weeks but i go through phases like that and next week it will be i think its the best job i have every had and wouldn't change it for the world.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »
I advertise in the local Parish Magazine (good results from that); the local shop, with a nice glossy flyer (crap results) and the van is sign-written (excellent results from that, immediate results too).  I have work coming in pretty regularly because of this; do you offer and advertise for gutter cleaning, fascia and soffit cleaning Roger?
Yes i do, it's in big letters on the van.
It's only got me 2 or 3 in the last 16 months though.

LSB

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 04:56:56 pm »
if i get any new customers out your way , there all yours !
 ( how likely is that ? )
i hope it doesnt spoil your holiday in any way .
best wishes , for when you come back
lloyd .

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:58:33 pm »
If all else fails squeaks go poach some of tosh's work ,I'm sure he'll love you for it  ;)  ;D ;D

then again perhaps not  

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »
Just need to go Canvassing, work is going bad here aswell, even though I still do £200+ days, customers are dropping like flies lol.

Nothing but good old canvassing to get work, there are about 20 window cleaners in a 4 mile radius here, can get me down. Haven't been able to go out canvassing due to depression and emotional stress. Need to go out again.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 05:11:27 pm »
Yes i do, it's in big letters on the van.
It's only got me 2 or 3 in the last 16 months though.
do you have a website Squeaky? it may help and no I am not trying to sell you one.  Will be easier to remember than a number. What new things have you tried to get more work ?

I see you avoided commenting on my last post, I was only trying to help you  ;)

Ian