This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wayne Thomas

Re: Hot systems
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 11:29:52 pm »
With a calorifier tank you have to make sure it has antifreeze going though the heating coils as it becomes part of the radiator system. The de-ionised water stored in it is heated up indirectly simply because of the antifreeze otherwise the water would be contaminated.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2008, 11:34:19 pm »
What I got is a slimline heater matrix which I'll get plumbed in and simply drop into the bottom of the tank. Not nearly as efficient as a calorifier, but it'll be enough to keep the frost away this winter.

My only concern is the matrix contaminating the water, so I'm going to scrum & rinse it thourougly with pure before it goes in, and put an extra DI after the tank just to be sure.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 11:44:01 pm »
Nathanael... Is the matrix stainless steel or inca alloy? If it is then you won't have to worry about contaminating your water. If it's not then you're best fitting a DI after the tank to be on the safe side. Can you email me (easycleanwayne@msn.com) a pic or two of the matrix and where you got it please.

I've thought about getting a tank fabricated with a removeable lid that can be secured easily and quickly. Then fitting some plumbing inside it similar style to how a radiator works and connecting it up directly to the vans radiator with a bypass to control the heat source to heat my DI water stored in the tank.  Would definitely be a free to run hot wfp system once the plumbing and tank has been bought. What's your views on this subject?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 05:33:32 pm »
I'll take some pics later,... looks stainless to me!

I think your idea about the plumbing in the tank would work great. My concerns would be it working too well and you'd be stuck running hot water through your pump constantly! Also you'd be stuck with hot water for every job, even historic glass and single glazing.

I had a similar idea but was thinking it'd be ideal with a 2 tank setup where you kept 1 tank cold and some kind of thermostatic mixing valve,.... but my experience so far with mixing valves is that they aren't very effective at the low flow rates we use. :(

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 07:11:42 pm »
I'll take some pics later,... looks stainless to me!

I think your idea about the plumbing in the tank would work great. My concerns would be it working too well and you'd be stuck running hot water through your pump constantly! Also you'd be stuck with hot water for every job, even historic glass and single glazing.

I had a similar idea but was thinking it'd be ideal with a 2 tank setup where you kept 1 tank cold and some kind of thermostatic mixing valve,.... but my experience so far with mixing valves is that they aren't very effective at the low flow rates we use. :(

On the tank plumbing from and to the radiator, all you have to do is fit a bypass (for the tank), so that it doesn't run through the tank when it's warm enough. Keep It Simple Stupid. It will work. I won't bother with it until I get my new van but I have the idea well and truly impregnated in my head for my new set up when I do away with the calorifier tank.