This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

texas girl

Cleaning window screens
« on: January 29, 2005, 04:17:30 am »
In America we have window screens on a lot of windows. They are on the outside of the window and they are there because people open their windows and the screen keeps bugs, etc. out. 8)

A screen is a wire mesh or  a nylon mesh that is the size of the window and has an aluminum frame all around it. The screen is square or rectangular; fits snug on the window. They have little tabs on the bottom to lift and the screen comes off.

Screens are transparent in so far as looking out the window because they are made of mesh. I clean a lot of them. Last week we did a house that had 48 windows with 48 screens.  Tight (very tight) fitting screens.

That is one reason I charge a flat $10 dollars per window because you have to remove the screen, set it beside the window on the ground, or take it off from the inside and set it inside, and after cleaning the window you have to clean the screen also because it collects dirt and cobwebs. ::)

It takes extra time. People don't realize how much of a hassel it is to deal with screens, unless they have done their own windows before.

I have taken all the screens off of my windows because I have a lake view and I never open my windows. No reason to. Most people always have their air condtioning or heat on so I do not know why so many houses have them. ???

95% of the houses built today have screens. You have to be careful because they will bend if you use a lot of force getting them off or putting them on.

And even though most windows on a house are the same size, it is still possible to get them mixed up.  So you have to keep track of where they go.

One customer gathered up all of her screens, saying she was going to wash them herself because she wanted to save a couple of bucks. She got them all mixed up and it took us 2 hours to figure out where they all went because she had 5 or 6 different sizes of windows.  :P I did not say anything but I was ticked off. >:(

We remove them, line them up in order, pressure wash them with a sprayer on a garden hose, then tap them on the patio or sidewalk to knock the water off, dry off the frame, and place them by each window.
Then we put them back on the windows.  8) If they are not very dirty we just wipe them off and put them back on.

Sounds like a lot of work, huh? Do you all have screens over there? If you clean most house windows 1/mo, it would be a hassel with screens to take off, clean, and place back. :o

What type of windows are common in your country?

Hopefully this explained what screens are. OK Mates? Take care, and make a lot of money next week! :o
Debbie