Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

woodman

Chewing Gum Nightmare
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:42:32 pm »
I don't why I agreed to this but I have.

I have been asked to help out a friend who is involved in theatre refurbs and agreed to clean the carpets.He said there is a 'bit' of chewing gum on the carpet.

:o :o :o

Understatement of the short year so far, there is bundles of the stuff, I can't back out now and leave him in it although he has had his ears chewed off over it  ;D

I reckon it will take me 2 days to remove, if not all then most of it.

I saw the post on prochems Bazooka which wasn't rated very highly and I already use most of the conventional methods of removal

BUT

Can anyone else more experienced in this type of work recommend a method of removal that is fast and will turn this 2 days into 1 day.

Bryan H

Re: Chewing Gum Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 05:19:30 pm »
Woodman.

I use a Steam Gun which I find to be fairly quick & effective,  but I suspect you will have already used one of these?

I doubt that there is a massively faster way of doing it; if there is I also would like to know about it.

I don't fancy the Bazooka !

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 05:41:54 pm »
Trevor

A respected colleague does a lot of this sort of work. He tried a case of Rid a Gum from Amtech UK. In one of the theatres in Birmingham he reported that it is quickest and best gum remover he'd ever used, bar none.

Don't forget the knee pads >:(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Big_Fish

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 06:51:07 pm »
Yes agree with Ken. We regularly clean a community centre that had tons of gum in the carpet the first time we did it. Rid-a-gum was by far the best method and is the only method that we use now. It is also good at removing blue/ white tack.

It's still a time consuming job, bone scraper and gloves to stop all the little black sticky bits sticking to your skin.

Nicky.

ps. It will also ruin your fingernails. Book the manicure for the morning after because your nails will be in such a state :-* ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 07:01:27 pm »
I have used Solution No6 chewing gum remover with good effect but it is time consuming whichever method you use not a nice job

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 07:32:34 pm »
Woodman

Done a few jobs like this, pubs more gum than carpet found to be a two-man job one steams (not the gun type good as it is on small jobs) the other one cleans and extracts, that’s the quickest method that works for me.

Check with your local hire shop they may hire them out.

But always open to suggestions to improve efficiency and cost saving.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dave Parry

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:49:42 pm »
Had a lot to remove in a record shop. Borrowed a bazooka, but couldn't get spray bit to work. so one man spayed with nicks chewing gum remover other used bazooka.
probably 60+ wads 2½ hrs. Then HWE'd 2 hrs
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html