This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simbag

Wfp or Hydraulic Access?
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:18 pm »
Hi there, been asked to quote for a hotel nearby. Initially I got quite excited as I've been told they've been having problems getting a WC, especially with the third floor to clean. However, it is not as straight forward as I first thought, the front of the hotel is the main issue, because it fronts onto a busy crossroads in the centre of town, and on top of that, the pathway is approx 3 feet wide!
If I was to clean this by wfp, I would literally need to stand in the centre of the road! I thought I could overcome this by cleaning extremely early in the morning, but later realised this would not be acceptable for guests staying there.
This is something I really want to get into, but there is no way I am going to take any risks to get this job. If anyone knows what kind of cost is involved in hiring access equip, this would also be appreciated.
The pics aren't very clear below, but you should be able to see the basics of what am getting at. Most of the pics I did take on my phone have corrupted! >:( Will try to get some more up soon.
Thanks in advance, Simon.

bluez

Re: Wfp or Hydraulic Access?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »
Simbag,
I would have no problem cordoning off half a lane of the road and doing this wfp, but make sure you use bollards and safety tape and it would help if you had someone to manage traffic with you.

All of the same issues and a few more apply if you go down the mewp route as well, you will still have to manage the safety and traffic end and as it is not a big job I would go wfp.

Watch out for the deep window cills and the old style panes of glass will slow you down a bit.

2 hours for the front and around €200 a go by my reckoning.

hi

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:28:11 pm »
£200  :o I would max said 100 max if regular and that would be pushing it

NWH

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »
2 hours for the front,more like 25 minutes- half an hour.

Glyn H

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:21 am »
Front no more than 30 minutes
Looks like a straightforward job to me

AJ

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:18 pm »
straight forward wfp.
No point in access platform, someone out there will ladder it.

Xline Systems

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:16:20 pm »
just use an extended gooseneck with a stiff pole. this would make cleaning off the pavemant easy

simbag

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 06:34:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies, there is no way I can do it standing that close. The pavement you see in the foreground is the most there is , if you look further down the road you will see the path is only 3 feet wide max.

Another problem I have doing it wfp, is that the windows are painted, and are in need of some tlc. On a normal house this would not be an issue for me, I would just continue brushing and rinsing until all residue was cleaned away. But here if I can't even see the window, I have no chance of cleaning it by standing that close.

I hear what you're saying about the ladders, but if there was somebody that would, then they haven't found them yet! I know someone must've done it before, but other than clean in the middle of the night I can't see a safe and practical way of doing it.

Bluez, I would need half the road, not half a lane! It's just so tight there. If you guys knew that junction you would understand what my problem is, I think the biggest hazard is the fact it is a tight junction, and a LOT of articulated lorries and buses go round it and have to encroach the opposite side of the road to clear the corner. At that point i would be holding up both lanes of traffic, no matter which method I used.

If I could I would clean them from the inside, but with them being sash there is no chance! I have the whole building to do, including inside the first time round, and the fronts will be done each month. Which is why I am trying to work this out. I'm not interested in pricing, just how you would tackle it, knowing the problems I am faced.

Thanks again

WCE

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:03:32 pm »
Ladders - might not be the best idea. Today i was down in our town centre at just the right moment to witness the local trad shiner who does a lot of the shops. He was doing a first floor window (usually only see him doing the shop fronts) when a lady on one of those invalid scooters drove straight into him. Down he came. When I came back about 10 mins later they were putting him in the ambulance. 
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

simbag

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:06:32 pm »
id ladder it with someone footing it

In the middle of the road......  ???

AJ

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:27 pm »
Get on with it you tart.  ;D
Couple of cones and your away. you will only be walking in and out, just off the path for the tops and the mids will be ok.
If you don't do it somebody else will.

AJ

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:38:32 pm »
Why can't you do sash from inside?
Pull top section down, stand on steps, arm out to do top section.
Lift bottom section half way up to do top half of bottom section.
Close top section.
Pull bottom section down half way, squat on the floor, reach up to clean bottom half of bottom section.

simbag

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 07:53:59 pm »
Get on with it you tart.  ;D
Couple of cones and your away. you will only be walking in and out, just off the path for the tops and the mids will be ok.
If you don't do it somebody else will.

You may rethink that comment if you actually see the space available  :P

Why can't you do sash from inside?
Pull top section down, stand on steps, arm out to do top section.
Lift bottom section half way up to do top half of bottom section.
Close top section.
Pull bottom section down half way, squat on the floor, reach up to clean bottom half of bottom section.

However, I hadn't considered the fact that both halves move....  ::) Now as long as long as they do actually move, and they're not painted shut! Which I would imagine that they shouldn't be for fire access... hmmm thanks for that ;)

AJ

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »
Good luck.
Where thers a will............

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:25 pm »
Think you got problems, yours is a walk in the park compared to this, try it with cars hurtling at you at 60 mph and hotel guests coming in and out.   ;D

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Hi

I would use a genie GS3232 self leverling sizzor lift working height 12m, 2.8 ft wide so can work from the pavment.

£ 150 a day

£60 each way transport

Give me a shout if you want one sure we can do a deal for a monthly contract.

Charlie

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:03 pm »
Charlie

What would you use on my job ?

Sloping ground

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
Dave

Would go with a truck mount most probably a 22m skyking.

or a litelift 1965 tracked spider machine would set up on the slop no problem.

On cost truck would be cheaper about £350-£400 with an Operator (who is a window cleaner so you could stay in bed ha ha )

Hope that helps have a look at the website www.capitalaccess.co.uk for all machines......

Charlie

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:09 pm »
Sounds interesting

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:17:02 pm »
Dave

As you can imagine it works really well for us as if you have a site that is tricky like this one and don't use much access equipment we can carry out the work for you as well and also not everyone likes heights....

We work for a lot of the big boys in london who may have used facelift and such like where they pay £700.00 for a truck and a guy to stand there all day, with us they don't need to be there or they come along and we get two jobs done for the same money, also the Operator is positioning you as a window cleaner make a massive difference when you have sites like below to clean......