This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tompoole

drinking water
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:22:49 am »
Hi

Can you drink the water.  I assume its ok to drink the water after its been through the di resin? I know the ro is used for drinking water , but was unsure about the di resin can any one confirm it ok.

pingu

Re: drinking water
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:29:42 am »
Would imagine that you would 'want' food grade resin but the question should be why would you want to drink it? ;)

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:47:10 am »
I use my unit for drinking water. I simply detach the RO output from the DI input and direct the water into a container which sits on the kitchen worktop next to the kettle.

The water tastes OK. The point is that it tastes MUCH better than the tap water which has a really horrible after taste - probably due to all the chemicals they add.

It makes tea and coffee taste more like real tea and coffee as well.

steven ainger

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:59:03 am »
why drink ro water, its the minerals in the tap water thats good for you.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:17:05 am »
... , its the minerals in the tap water thats good for you.

Agreed, but we eat very healthily - no processed foods. My young family and I consume a rich variety of pure and healthy, highly nutritious foods, that missing out the trace elements in water is of no consequence.

It's the foul taste of the tap water that we object to. I suppose we could disconnect before the RO unit, but that wouldn't be as simple.

darragh windows

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:47:48 am »
Hi

Can you drink the water. I assume its ok to drink the water after its been through the di resin? I know the ro is used for drinking water , but was unsure about the di resin can any one confirm it ok.

not recommended to drink unless you by pass the resin like wally i think the resin makes it acidic
jamie

dd

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:08:31 pm »
Some things in water are good for you - minerals, some are bad - harmful chemicals.

Tds measures level of impurities in water not toxicity. Water in some area does seem to contain more toxins, unacceptably high levels.

Recall hearing once that peoples health was better in hard water areas due to the minerals they got in the water, compared with soft water areas.

Due to modern farming and lifestyle very hard to get optimum amounts af minerals and trace minerals even from organic food. Could always try a high qaulity mineral supplement.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:25:50 pm »
"Recall hearing once that peoples health was better in hard water areas due to the minerals they got in the water, compared with soft water areas."

I find this very difficult to believe. A healthy, balanced diet will provide all the essential minerals and trace elements that you need. Agreed, mineral water will supply a proportion of your daily needs of minerals, but a sprinkling of sea salt on your green salad would do exactly the same job even better and add essential vitamins as well.

Drinking mineral water on health grounds is risible - a ploy of advertising companies to part fools from their money. For health, in the UK, you need to drink copious amounts of water and eat moderate amounts of a healthily balanced diet. This makes mineral supplements quite unnecessary.

There are, however, areas of Africa where the only water available is ground water - mineral rich - but where malnutrition is rife due to a complete absence of iodine in the environment. In these areas mineral supplements ARE necessary.

It's a complex area.

However, the point of the thread is: is it OK to drink RO water; and yes, it is. ... and IMHO it makes far superior tea!

wright649

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:36:17 pm »
i went to that bwca course on wfp, and that craig said it was ok to drink, if you boiled it first. good for tea and coffee, also good for hangovers,as it de toxifies the body, havent tried it though.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 12:43:56 pm »
"Recall hearing once that peoples health was better in hard water areas due to the minerals they got in the water, compared with soft water areas."

I find this very difficult to believe. A healthy, balanced diet will provide all the essential minerals and trace elements that you need. Agreed, mineral water will supply a proportion of your daily needs of minerals, but a sprinkling of sea salt on your green salad would do exactly the same job even better and add essential vitamins as well.

Drinking mineral water on health grounds is risible - a ploy of advertising companies to part fools from their money. For health, in the UK, you need to drink copious amounts of water and eat moderate amounts of a healthily balanced diet. This makes mineral supplements quite unnecessary.

There are, however, areas of Africa where the only water available is ground water - mineral rich - but where malnutrition is rife due to a complete absence of iodine in the environment. In these areas mineral supplements ARE necessary.

It's a complex area.

However, the point of the thread is: is it OK to drink RO water; and yes, it is. ... and IMHO it makes far superior tea!

Wally, nowadays the amount of nutrients in food is at an all time low due to over using fields, leaving no nutrients in the soil, combine that with heavy pesticide spraying of crops, and it's just not that good anymore. Chickens grow 6 times as fast as normal chickens, due to all the steroids and other weird stuff they give them in the food.

But yea, RO water tastes good, the DI resin that we use is not for the food industry I think, which would be harmful I've been told.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:44:31 pm »
If you think about how pure water cleans - you've stripped all of the dissolved solids out of it, so it wants to  return to it's impure state, it absorbs dirt.  That's why it is supposed to clean better than normal water.

On the flip side, when you drink pure water, it is dangerously low in minerals, and can therefore absorb the nutrients from your body, with obvious results.

There is a condition in trees as a result of reverse osmosis, where tree has its nutrients absorbed out of it, because of lack of nutrients around it.  Not sure of the specific's of this, my father-in-law mentioned it as he's a tree surgeon, so it's probably not a good idea to make a habit of drinking pure water!

Also, think of the stuff that can grow very quickly in water that's sat around.  Can you be sure that your water hasn't got anything lurking in it?  I wouldn't drink from my system, the water is sat around in a hot garage most of the time, without all of the chlorine that the water companies put in to keep it potable.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 02:38:03 pm »
Think Legionnaires' disease it can be deadly and there is a very real risk of getting it from drinking water from your tanks.

read about it yourself to get the facts:

www.cdc.gov/legionella/patient_facts.htm

Ian
p.s it does not taste nice without all the added rubbish anyway, buy a bottle a take tap water with you to drink ;)

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:52:10 pm »
Think Legionnaires' disease it can be deadly and there is a very real risk of getting it from drinking water from your tanks.

Ian
p.s it does not taste nice without all the added rubbish anyway, buy a bottle a take tap water with you to drink ;)

yeah that's scary.  worth thinking about though!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 04:04:25 pm »
I'd agree that drinking water out of the tanks is a very dodgy idea for precisely the reasons mentioned. However, don't worry about reverse osmosis happening in your body - it doesn't. Drinking pure water will not "suck" nutrients out of your body.

There is a condition in trees as a result of reverse osmosis, where tree has its nutrients absorbed out of it, because of lack of nutrients around it.

No there isn't. Reverse osmosis doesn't occur in nature. Osmosis occurs in nature. Indeed, if it didn't, life wouldn't exist since liquid transport wouldn't occur across cell walls.

What is known to occur is that trees have nutrients sucked out of them because the ground water surrounding the roots has an excess of nutrients. This is why putting an excess of fertiliser in the soil will actually kill off the plants.

I know that it is counter intuitive, but that is how osmosis works. Look it up on wikipedia - it's fascinating stuff.

And drinking normal amounts of pure water taken directly from the RO unit just to slake your thirst is fine. To repeat, drinking water from a storage tank is probably most unwise.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 05:29:31 pm »
I'd agree that drinking water out of the tanks is a very dodgy idea for precisely the reasons mentioned. However, don't worry about reverse osmosis happening in your body - it doesn't. Drinking pure water will not "suck" nutrients out of your body.

There is a condition in trees as a result of reverse osmosis, where tree has its nutrients absorbed out of it, because of lack of nutrients around it.

No there isn't. Reverse osmosis doesn't occur in nature. Osmosis occurs in nature. Indeed, if it didn't, life wouldn't exist since liquid transport wouldn't occur across cell walls.

What is known to occur is that trees have nutrients sucked out of them because the ground water surrounding the roots has an excess of nutrients. This is why putting an excess of fertiliser in the soil will actually kill off the plants.

I know that it is counter intuitive, but that is how osmosis works. Look it up on wikipedia - it's fascinating stuff.

And drinking normal amounts of pure water taken directly from the RO unit just to slake your thirst is fine. To repeat, drinking water from a storage tank is probably most unwise.

What a wally!!!  ;)

Are you a tree surgeon as well now? ;)

I'm certainly not.  I think I may have got mixed up with water and nutrients.  R/O does occur: "The effect of drought is particularly acute for newly transplanted trees and shrubs since they are already devoid of a sizeable portion of their water-absorbing roots - the roots being lost in the digging and transplanting process.

In addition to the potentially catastrophic effect of reverse osmosis and loss of water absorbing ability of roots on plant health and survival, other responses of a plant to drought may also occur. Closing of stomates is usually the first response. There is some evidence that abscisic acid, formed in roots in reaction to soil water deficits, is transported to leaves and initiates the closing of stomates. Recovery from stomatal closing is slow and may not return to normal for hours, days or weeks despite availability of water. Increase in abscisic acid production also leads to an inhibition of bud and leaf development, and to promotion of leaf abscission."

taken from: www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/plant_culture/longterm_drought.htm

But this is irrelevant, and I'm just going to say I read that drinking 000 water isn't good for you beacuse it absorbs nutrients, rather than leave them where they are.

I'll stick to good old fashioned tap water that is fine and goos where I live!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and goodnight.

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »
No, I'm not a tree surgeon, I'm a physicist - and whoever wrote that most certainly ISN'T a scientist or, if he/she is a scientist, uses scientific language very sloppily.

And confusing "water" with "nutrients" is a pretty big error!!!!

What the article really means is that osmosis is occuring in the opposite direction to that which is normal. This is precisely what I said.

This is not reverse osmosis - it is osmosis in the reverse direction ie from the plant to the soil.

I repeat, reverse osmosis does not occur in nature. For reverse osmosis to occur, there would need to be a decrease in entropy which is contrary to the second law of thermodynamics.

When we use reverse osmosis, we have to supply energy whcih we actually take from the water company in the form of a pressure drop across the unit - so the second law of thermodynamics is not broken as entropy increases.

And drinking water from an RO unit in moderate quantities will do no harm whatsoever and will most certainly not leach nutrients from your body.

And it makes better tea!

And my wife notes that it leaves far less scum in the tea cups.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 06:12:57 pm »
I am going to give a simple replyt to this matter from my view point:

drinking 000 tds water will on the way down absorb as it goes down making it a pointless task in the first place.
I dont think  :-\  it will kill you if doing it for years. ( i dont think anyway can say different for a fact)

my reason for this is simple, I clean windows and the pure water I use absorbs dirt into it etc, if drinking it will absorb what it can on the way down your body.

and apart from what I already posted earlier about the illness that can happen would you really drink from an unclean tank/glass etc I sure as anything would not.

Ian

steve m

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »
Dont drink it if its gone through the DI, you'll end up sh@tting through the eye of a needle. I know, the other year when it was real hot I didnt think it'd matter but jeeezz I was going three or foar times a day and it was brown but as runny as what came out the tank

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:25:05 pm »
Dont drink it if its gone through the DI, you'll end up sh@tting through the eye of a needle. I know, the other year when it was real hot I didnt think it'd matter but jeeezz I was going three or foar times a day and it was brown but as runny as what came out the tank
Far far to much info there fella  :-X

tompoole

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:03 pm »
Hi

I use my 110 landrover for mant things as well as window cleaning, just wanted to know if i could safely use the water for drinking making tea cooking and washing save me swapping water over when i go camping & green lanning. at the weekends.

tom