This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doug Holloway

john rees

Re: SCALDED BY HOT WATER
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
Hi Ritchie,
               Hope you get better soon. About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a high flow shut off valve that fits on the truckmount solution hose output, and it was worth every penny as soon as you had a burst hose it would automatically shut off. It wasn't cheap, I think it was about $180. I wonder if they are available in the U.K.? The only time they don't work is when your pressure washing..........I lost mine when I took it off when doing a patio.............So you've reminded me I want another one!!!!

All the best
                                  John

john

Joe H

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:02 pm »
Sounds a good idea John - not heared of that.

richie

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »
I remember you telling me about your scald Glynn.  I have been hit by hot water from a TM before but nothing like this time.   The pain was instant & sickening.  My biggest regret was not going to the hospital in the first place instead i thought someone like a pharmasist knew better than me.  The Nurse in A&E told me that a scald any bigger than a 50p coin size needs hospital attention.  She said burns & scalds get straight past your bodies first defence (your skin).  The scald on my hand & wrist was about 5x4 inches & the one on my elbow about 4x4 inches.    The itching is now driving me mad though.  The old hoses get used once in a blue moon nowdays,  i was running about 500 feet of hose at one point.  The TM is near 15 years old & still works a treat (especially on the heat side ;D)

Richie.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »
Keep having this horrid thought of someone changing tools on their truckmount. They turn off their solution hose valve then pull the vac hose off the tool and it jerks up and sucks their eyeball out. It must have happenned. Off for therapy now.

John,

You might not believe it but I have had two nightmares about that happening to me. I think it’s because its a real risk that could easily happen.

carpetworx

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »
Get well soon Richie.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »
burst pipe check valve avaliable on Ebay No; 250257465909

this might work

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 11:40:24 pm »
When I worked on the railway putting up the electrification wires one of the lads used to clean the concreting gantry off with a compressed air hose, i'm talking about the ones used to drive windy picks. When he got a piece of gravel which wouldn't budge he used to bend the air hose over and poke it out. Big Yorkshireman he was about 6'3". Anyway one day the hose burst when he bent it over and what looked like a blue flame shot out. It was actually just air at extreme pressure. Thing is it was an inch away from his dangly bits. Never seen anyone turn that shade of white either before or since. It would have sliced them clean off.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 07:56:08 am »
Being a yorkshireman was his dangly bits his purse?

Shaun

Joe H

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 08:58:04 am »
 ;D

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 09:04:24 am »
Im gonna be paranoid now.

I wouldn't worry Kevin, those Speedsters are just toys, power/heat wise compared to a T/M.

It's definately put me off buying the Titan now.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 10:37:38 am »
Even toys are dangerous in the wrong hands  :o

and very competent when used by an expert  ;)

Joe H

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 06:28:56 pm »
On a job today and every time I went near the solution hose I thought "scalding" and every time I disconnected a suction hose I thought of "eye balls being sucked out".
Scary

Kev Loomes

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »

I wouldn't worry Kevin, those Speedsters are just toys, power/heat wise compared to a T/M.

I thought you were gonna buy a Prowler Mike?

MissyShell

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »
Hi Richie,
Just read your story and felt so bad,, as if burning yourself was not bad enough then you loose your stuff,glad it was there! money included you were lucky, there isnt many people out there left that are so honest!!hope your better soon!. if I was you I would go back to the pharmacy and tell her what you had to go through Makes me mad as they say now you should go to them more instead of your doctor, how does that help? if they do this to you.
It probally cost more for you to be in hospital for however long you were in there than if they has sold you the burn strips in the first place!I got badly burned when I was younger I had put the kettle on for my dad when he came home from work (Being a daddys girl I always wanted to make him a cup of tea as I had missed him)ARRRHHHHH???? so I put the kettle on and my little sister came by swinging on the pole at the breakfast bar, knocked me and I poured a whole kettle of just boiled water on my right wrist and arm,OUCH!!the burn strips your on about were amazing they soothed and reduced the scarring.I only have a scar still now because my mum paniced and pulled my top off.
Anyway listen to me dribbling on, get well hon and take care in future.
Kind regards
Michelle x ::)

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 08:49:25 pm »
Hope you're getting over it now Richie.
Knowing little about truckmounts I have to ask why would anyone need water at 235 degrees (centigrade?) unless it is to allow for temp drop along the feed hose. If so what temp is at the wand?
Had a feed hose on a porty burst at the wand handle once and that was bad enough at about 60 degrees. Water spraying everywhere whilst I ran about trying not to trip over the suction hose on the stairs.

richie

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 10:03:57 pm »
Hi all,

I had to go back to the hospital this morning.  The doctor took off the bandages & gauze.  OHHHHHH what a relief.  Just to have fresh air on my arm was a dream.  The doctor had a look & said he was very pleased with the way it was healing.  Although the scalds are still very red they are not as vicious looking and the swelling to my hand has gone down 50%.   He told me to go outside for 20 minutes to allow the air to get to it.  It was heaven,  i didnt want to go back inside.  When i went back into the doctor he informed me that he will be putting the gauze and bandages on again as it still needed time to heal without the risk of airborn nasties.  I have got to take the bandages off again in 3 - 4 days time and allow the air to it again.  Doctor said i should not have to go back to hospital again however,  if im concerned then to go straight back.

Richie.

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »

I thought you were gonna buy a Prowler Mike?

I was but I don't want to look like this  ;)

No, saving up Kev, money is going into marketing, and shares in oil companies. ;D

Joe H

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:11 pm »
Hows work Richie?
When will you be back?

richie

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »
Back in work Tuesday,  got 3 quotes, through lounge, 2 bedrooms to do.

Richie.