This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

*Mr Tumble

Clearing drains with gutter clearing kit
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:07:49 pm »
Does anyone try this?

I was asked to jet wash a sewage pipe but I don't have a jet pressure washer, but wondered if a gutter vac could suck out the rubbish from a drain as well as suck stuff from a gutter?

jeff1

Re: Clearing drains with gutter clearing kit
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:58 pm »
Mr Tumble just buy a cheap set of drain rods, Less than £20 I think from screwfix.com
I bet you don't stand a chance cleaning the drains with a vac, unless the blockage is just in the entrance of the pipes.

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:47 pm »
hmm, and then it's not just leaves i guess.

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:35:18 pm »
hmm, and then it's not just leaves i guess.
No defiantly not leaves or gardens Lol apart from the obvious you can often get loads of cooking fat, that people often chuck down there sinks.

It really isn't worth ruining your vac on Jobs like that when drain rods will do the Job for you

Mr H

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »
Best trying drain rods first m8.
If that doesn' work then you could use your gutter vac as it would be a wet/dry vac so wouldn't damage the vac but definatly not nice to clean out afterwards. Plus you would be shifting a lot of sewage and so apart from the very increased smell there would be more public health and health and safety "bio hazard" regulations to check up on. Then what do you do with the waste if you have filled the vac but not shifted the blockage....?
Best bet in my opinion would be to say to the customer you can try to clear it using the rods for £30 if the blockage is cleared or £10 if it isn't. That way the customer would be more preared to give you a try first instead of going straight to dyno-rod.

Regards
Mr H

cybersye

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »
Its tempting to help out a customer for a few quid extra but seriously if you've not got the right tools dont touch it, more grief than its worth , only my opinion but its a bit like asking a satelite tv guy to give your windows a clean while he's up the ladder.

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:17 am »
Or a dentist to yank your tonsils out while he polishes your teeth.