This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

In my practising wfp, I almost flooded a new customers bedroom, because there was a gap between the top frame and the top of the window, and obviously old windows like that didn't have a rubber seal yet.

So how do you spot these potential problem windows, there are so many different types of old windows, that you just can't be 100% certain before you start scrubbing the frame they won't turn the bedroom into an aquarium.......

And how would you clean these? Just focus on the glass and the tiny bit of wood at the top of the window, not doing the top frame, or maybe just wet the brush then scrub? What about the sides of the frame,  they could still be prone to leaks right?

What about front doors? Is it okay to clean them? Some have nice porches with door mats, shoes, wellies, the lot, what do you do then? Just whip out the squeegee?

Sorry for all the questions.

Re: How to spot leaking windows, and what to do with front doors?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:18:13 pm »
 ;) You seem to have given all the right answers to your questions!  ;D

With the windows you have it spot on "Do what YOU feel is right!"

As for the Doors, lower the flow wfp (in other words don't blast the thing) and clean as normal Wipe the letter box with scrim!  8)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:19:34 pm »
I think spotting these windows comes with experience you'll end up knowing exactly what to look for and get on with it

As for the doors with shoes left laying around , well what do they expect if it rains they still going to get wet arent they, I just kick them aside and get on with it if they get a little wet so be it

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:21:48 pm »
I find on wooden doors the letter box's are prone to leak, so I now only do UPVC Doors were the letter box has a better seal on it.

edd

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:31 pm »
any really dirty top frames we just wrap a micro fiber cloth around the brush and do them with a wipe
with the water off

And also any windows that look like a mc will do a job we use it on the brush with the water on ,and what a
difference it can make to some windows TIP OF THE DAY !!

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:00:43 pm »
The leaking windows and letter boxes on my round are all wooden.
When i take on new work with wooden windows i will just clean the glass and frames on the side + the sill.

dai

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »
You can do doors quicker trad, Even a wipe with a damp scrim is better than leaving a messy porch.
More jobs are lost through using wfp on doors that any thing else in my opinion.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
I always wfp a door, even if it leaks or not, if it does leak ( you can tell before usually...look out for gaps and weather it has a storm guard or not ) I turn off my water and just brush the dirt off with the damp brush,,,,works perfect, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:19 am »
I found out that on old leaded (singles) brush down low flow only as they leak, brushing down kept me this job.

doors look at the bottom alot that leak you will be able to see as there tends to be a gap between the door frame and the bottom of the door. (doors that open in)

Doors that open out be careful at the top.

I tend now to turn flow off clean door, flow on for quick rinse no more than rain would do.

Ian

Edd, tip of the day mc part and after :-\ what you meant

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:35 am »
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to give it a go today. :)