Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alex Gardiner

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »
We stock caps in most sizes so just ask.

The rubber end caps will be in soon. We will be sending one to you when they come in.

NWH

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:45 pm »
If the pole is completley closed together when you`ve adjusted the clamps correctly you can`t close the clamps as there to stiff,i`ve had to put red tape round the sections so i know when i`ve gone to far when closing them each time.If i losen the clamps enough they don`t hold the sections,they keep sliding down,how do you adjust the clamps so that you can close the pole right down and at the same time have enough pressure on each section to stop it from collapsing.

Bonzer

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2008, 10:16:26 pm »
If the pole is completley closed together when you`ve adjusted the clamps correctly you can`t close the clamps as there to stiff,i`ve had to put red tape round the sections so i know when i`ve gone to far when closing them each time.If i losen the clamps enough they don`t hold the sections,they keep sliding down,how do you adjust the clamps so that you can close the pole right down and at the same time have enough pressure on each section to stop it from collapsing.

That's funny you should say that - I sent Alex an email regarding that exact issue on Friday when I received my pole. I found that I got the start of a nasty 'crushing' sound if I tried to do the clamps up with the sections too close. I recommended a line on the pole to show where they should be collapsed to.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2008, 10:18:43 pm »
Hi NWH,

The best way to set them up as they were from the factory is to do the following:

First of all make sure that your base cap is properly pushed on. Starting with the base clamp first, open the section a few inches and tighten the nut until it just holds the section firmly, then open the clamp and allow the pole to close fully down to the end cap, but not pushed down too hard. Now re-close the clamp and it will be a little stiffer as it will slightly catch on the fractionally wider part at the top of the section. This will actually be a benefit after a few weeks of the pole bedding in as the pole receives the most sideways strain on the clamps when use fully closed which is why most poles wear away at the top of each section first.

Now repeat this process with each section. Once all are adjusted then apply one drop of Loctite to the thread ends.

Any problems drop me a line on alex@agardiner.co.uk or give me a ring, you have my number.  :)

NWH

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2008, 10:20:05 pm »
The thing is by doing this it does increase the size of the pole by quiet a bit when collapsed,i want the pole to be fully collapsed and have the clamps still work properly.And your right if you go to far up the pole with the clamp it sounds as if it`s crushing it.

NWH

« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:25 pm »
Hi Alex,if you go to far up the section it`s just to stiff to close the clamp each and every time you need to adjust them,why are the pole sections thicker at the top as opposed to the bottom.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:58 pm »
The thing is by doing this it does increase the size of the pole by quiet a bit when collapsed,i want the pole to be fully collapsed and have the clamps still work properly.And your right if you go to far up the pole with the clamp it sounds as if it`s crushing it.

The important thing to do is to make sure that as you close each of the sections that you allow them to slide fully into the base cap. Otherwise if the first section is not seated on the cap it will allow the next section etc to sit down too far into the pole in comparison to its length, thereby allowing the larger diameter section to come into the clamping area.

Bonzer

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »
why are the pole sections thicker at the top as opposed to the bottom.

I understand this is to give the clamped part of the section some added strength. IMHO that is a good aspect of the design.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »
Hi Alex,if you go to far up the section it`s just to stiff to close the clamp each and every time you need to adjust them,why are the pole sections thicker at the top as opposed to the bottom.

The clamps should only just catch on the slightly wider top section. The poles are slightly wider at the top because each of the poles is reinforced at the top to cope with the extra stresses that these areas are under during use.

There is a chance NWH, that the tolerances on your pole are slightly too tight. Give me ring and I can chat it through with you.

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »
So, when collapsing the pole it needs to be vertical and resting on the ground - then just let the sections drop?

NWH

« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:24 pm »
I`ll give you a ring tomorrow Alex,apart from that i love the pole to bits.It`s the only pole i`ve ever used that is a true up and down pole,i`m saving time on each and every job by not having to keep switching poles.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2008, 10:37:22 pm »
So, when collapsing the pole it needs to be vertical and resting on the ground - then just let the sections drop?

Controlled drop! Yes, but no need to rest on the ground as the end cap will stop the sections.

« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2008, 10:43:40 pm »
That's what i meant  ;D I was worried that the cap would fly off a la my extender cheese pole.

macmac

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2008, 10:44:16 pm »
I must be the only one who hasn't got one, i bought an xtel hybrid that I don't really like using (too heavy),   

Very bad investment Mr. Sol. I'm supprised at you when there are far better, fully carbon poles on the market. tut, tut, tut. :-[

Tony

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2008, 07:54:04 am »
Investment ALWAYS pays.  :P

« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:54 am »
I have to say I think my pole's a showstopper, jaw droppingly good!  ;D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2008, 07:02:14 pm »
Ok, after using the pole more I must say..........up to now I abseloutely love it. Its just so stiff, light and just generally beautiful  ;D I applied threadlock on my clamps and that makes them great! Love it, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
I have to say though it's taking me a while to gel with the clamps. Love the pole it's been designed at the perfect length in my opinion, i had some three storey cleans today that i normally use my S2 for but the SLX reached perfectly. It's that good that my S2 hardly comes out of the van now ......... but when it does, wow now your talking light.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2008, 07:16:39 pm »
I have 2 poles in my van now, the SL2 and SL-X, I dont need anything else!!!! Both poles easily fit into the back of my van, no need to cut the bulkhead, put them at an agle or put them on the roof, perfect. I now have a nearly perfect system.....hot water is the next thing, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

macmac

« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2008, 10:48:26 pm »
I have to say though it's taking me a while to gel with the clamps. Love the pole it's been designed at the perfect length in my opinion, i had some three storey cleans today that i normally use my S2 for but the SLX reached perfectly. It's that good that my S2 hardly comes out of the van now ......... but when it does, wow now your talking light.

Try this dave (unless this is what you already do)

Holding the pole horizontaly with the brush facing the floor extend the first section out & lock the clamp. now, lay the brush end of the pole on the ground with the bristles facing upwards (so no dirt gets in them), one end of the brush plus your goosneck or angle adaptor is all that should be in contact with the ground. unlock the second clamp & walk backwards with the pole, lock this clamp & repeat untill desired length is reached, lift up & use.
To collapse the pole (unless just minor adjustment is required), just reverse this process.
With lo-drag clamps i find this the easiest & quickest method for telescopic poles, after a few goes you'll be flying & the sections won't spin round, allowing perfect positioning of each clamp.

Tony