Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LWC

white spots...could this be it?
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:43:21 am »
as i said a couple of weeks ago, some of my customers about 5 have said they werent happy with the windows, spots and stuff

but these are on regular cleans. and i said has this always happened and they said no, they have been perfect in the past

now someone has suggested to me that the some resin could possibly be coming though, as you couldnt see and it still reads pure in the water, but it doesnt dry properly...white spots. so suggested that i put a 1 micron filter after the resin to catch any stray bits of resin

i thought about it and i have over 300 customers, and for 5 to say something, that could be where the resin has come through. so maybe this is the answer?

or am i thinking out of my arse?

cat9921

Re: white spots...could this be it?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:09:54 am »
Sorry the call did not help  :'(
You will sort it out, all the best

Glyn

LWC

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:13:26 am »
appreciate the call dude!

;D

nice to know i got you into it, my endles posts DO help some people lol

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:28:49 am »
as i said a couple of weeks ago, some of my customers about 5 have said they werent happy with the windows, spots and stuff

but these are on regular cleans. and i said has this always happened and they said no, they have been perfect in the past

now someone has suggested to me that the some resin could possibly be coming though, as you couldnt see and it still reads pure in the water, but it doesnt dry properly...white spots. so suggested that i put a 1 micron filter after the resin to catch any stray bits of resin

i thought about it and i have over 300 customers, and for 5 to say something, that could be where the resin has come through. so maybe this is the answer?

or am i thinking out of my arse?

It's not the resin that is causing you problems, I would look for something else, if there is a problem. Or you could put it down to human nature, people not liking change.

It is only about 1 1/2% of your customers that are complaining, they can easily be replaced, by customers who don't complain. 

Peter

LWC

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:06 am »
yeh i know, but i have seen these spots, and these customers have been done for a year. and although you might not mind, i dont like loosing or dropping customers, especaily where these people are

suppose for the price of a 1 micron it wouldnt hurt to try it?

but...then again...i have done a big contract this week, for the first time, went and looked round the windows, and bar a couple of runs here and there which a second clean sorted out they were spotless

DASERVICES

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:23:56 pm »
What type of frames do they have

LWC

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:53 pm »
pvc

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »
That's baffled me , have noticed it on metal frames but not pvc.

One cause of spots is wind and the glass beads, this will cause spots if the wind is blowing dirt on the glass. You will only see this on one side of the house.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:54 pm »
I've fitted 1 micron filter after DI bottle to reduce particles in water. Only trouble is the filter cloggs up after 3-5days so need to take it out and give it a clean before using again. It's amazing how much debris collects in it but when I'm rinsing (brush on glass) I never have to worry about bits on the glass whilst it's still wet.

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:32 pm »
Try a 5 micron filter if 1 is blocking up

stevekennedy

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:57:27 pm »
Some windows look like pvc but are actually powder coated aluminium. Also, some PVC windowsleaves have rubber edging that leaves spots.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »
The black seals that hold the glass in place behind the upvc quadrants sometimes degrades and leaves black smudging when trad. cleaning. If you scrub too hard with wfp and the seals are leaching away then you sometimes get spots from that.

Are these upvc windows over ten years old? Might be relevant.
It's a game of three halves!

karygate

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 09:28:13 am »
if its just white spots (that look like paint) someone on here previously said it was a gradual build up of calcium which made sense. they just scrape off. and cat9921 can never make his mind up one way or another ;D ;D ;) ;D
gary

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:38 am »
Some windows look like pvc but are actually powder coated aluminium. Also, some PVC windowsleaves have rubber edging that leaves spots.

This is absolutely correct. Some windows have painted aluminium inserts but it looks like uPVC. It can be very deceptive. By the time you can see milking it has to be pretty serious, a lot of times it is happening but you don't see it

When ever you get spots check the top of the frame by rubbing with your finger and checking for white coming off.
Also, look at the pattern of the spots. You can usually see its running down so its drip related. Or its splashing down from above having come off the brickwork or sills above.

Spots don't appear out of thin air. As I have learned through many such problems there is always a reason for it. 

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 10:50:03 am »

This is absolutely correct. Some windows have painted aluminium inserts but it looks like uPVC. It can be very deceptive. By the time you can see milking it has to be pretty serious, a lot of times it is happening but you don't see it

When ever you get spots check the top of the frame by rubbing with your finger and checking for white coming off.
Also, look at the pattern of the spots. You can usually see its running down so its drip related. Or its splashing down from above having come off the brickwork or sills above.

Spots don't appear out of thin air. As I have learned through many such problems there is always a reason for it. 

Hot water speeds up this removal process IMO. Problem windows...use cold water.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »
[

Now that is very interesting!
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:21 pm »

Complete rubbish,water is water when it comes to removing milky white substance from window frames.Using hot water will make no difference at all,if there oxidizing there oxidizing and hot water won`t remove it any better or quicker,take a reading of the temperature of the water at the brush head.

cat9921

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 05:47:17 pm »
if its just white spots (that look like paint) someone on here previously said it was a gradual build up of calcium which made sense. they just scrape off. and cat9921 can never make his mind up one way or another ;D ;D ;) ;D

So when I spoke to you about coming in with me ON a big commercial job I take that as A NO ;D

karygate

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 07:34:45 am »
you know glynn i could never say no to you for anything ;) ;D
gary

DASERVICES

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 05:30:25 pm »
I now have the answer ;D

The white spots are deposits of salt, this is caused by poor quality resin or resin that is contiminated or spent. It got explained to me the process of how this happens but it has gone straight out of my head.

Doug