This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

d.j windows

windows above porches
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:52:04 pm »

d.j windows

Re: windows above porches
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:53:03 pm »
sorry , trying to insert pic showing how i would do windows above porches, but alas I am having no luck

d.j windows

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:57:23 pm »
I think I worked it out  :P
I use 2 sets of ladder limpets, these babies are really secure, its like walking up a staircase.
I sometimes use a pole if its really awkward but for most of the time this is the way i do it.

elite mike

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:57:58 pm »
if you are trad  
walk on roof, or pole them if to steep

regards
mike

d.j windows

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:47 pm »
Poling is not one of my better talents, just cant get the hang of it, streaks etc, I use the ettore gold reach and the ettore backflip and streaks galore, although did a few windows this morn with it and seem to be getting a bit better.

elite mike

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:05:03 pm »
keep practiceing  :D  :D

RO-Sheen

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:09:23 pm »
The old bloke in the porch doesnt look too amused!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

daveappleby

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:09:09 pm »
if you are trad  

regards
mike

you serious???!!!

Richy L

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 05:12:06 pm »
if you are trad 

regards
mike

you serious???!!!

I take it you are a new window cleaner, or a straight to WFP window cleaner.
I'd say 90% of people have walked on roofs like this one at some point when trad.

May not be as safe as WFP, but its done

NWH

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
I think I worked it out  :P
I use 2 sets of ladder limpets, these babies are really secure, its like walking up a staircase.
I sometimes use a pole if its really awkward but for most of the time this is the way i do it.
No offense mate but this is 1 of many many reasons i went WFP,this comment might not help but it`s a fact.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:34:14 pm »
if you are trad

regards
mike

you serious???!!!

I take it you are a new window cleaner, or a straight to WFP window cleaner.
I'd say 90% of people have walked on roofs like this one at some point when trad.

May not be as safe as WFP, but its done
yup used to do loads of porch windows like that while standing on roof,i would do em one handed with fingertips of left hand jammed in that groove that runs under concrete sills ::)

d.j windows

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:06:01 pm »
On this particular occassion the lady of the house did not want me standing on her roof, actually get requested a to not do this.
Must be different over here in N Ireland, but yes I usually do walk on the roof, I was posting this to show another way of doing it specially for trads starting out with no one to foot the ladder

Jason Atwell

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:32:43 pm »
On this particular occassion the lady of the house did not want me standing on her roof, actually get requested a to not do this.
Must be different over here in N Ireland, but yes I usually do walk on the roof, I was posting this to show another way of doing it specially for trads starting out with no one to foot the ladder

A really good traditional post by a newbie!

D J windows do you charge extra for the obvious extra time involved in this job?
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

d.j windows

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 07:18:39 pm »
Cheers Jason,
Nah, dont charge any extra, Im serious N.Ireland is the worst place for window cleaners, people are as tight as frogs arse (and thats watertight), dont want to part with money.
It takes me 10 seconds longer to set up this way, so I just get on with it.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:12 pm »
I keep meaning to get them limpets and keep putting it off.

I went onto the site but I wasn't happy with how they took the money (insecure).

Are they the best form of safety device, better than the mats etc?

Good to have a trad bloke on, er (thinking about frogs), they are rarer than rocking horse poop- and thats rare.
Did anyone else notice Squeaky lurking in the photo?

d.j windows

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:18 pm »
They are very good, I dont use em all the time, but for slippy surfaces they are great, I use them as shown on the pic for extra stability, you can climb to the top of the ladder (in pic) even though the top is resting against nothing.
It really is secure and the ladder doesnt shake or move at all. I would use them different if i had longer ladders by resting the top of ladder above window and puttind second set on roof instead of window cill. I got them cos I was in partnership with a guy and after 2 months he left and I wanted something to hold the ladder secure and steady.
So to answer your question YES  they are a good investment

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:36 pm »
My ladder slipped quite recently, I had to access a window over a sort of gulley to a garage. The patio looked a bit green so I was carefull to make the ladder very steep. Guess what, I got nearly to the top and it slipped (Stopped by a pave that stuck up).
Me thinks, what? Can't be right the ladder was virtually vertical, so I tried again and slipped again. Told customer then that I couldn't do it.

I still use ladders quite a lot for gutters etc and access, so it is stupid of me not to have these mitts.

When I have to access similar you I use a stand off.

d.j windows

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »
wot you mean a stand off???

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 08:02:19 pm »
It's a thing thats designed to do what your top mits do, usually so you can stand away from a gutter. A stand off can rest on a window frame uprights too.

windolene

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:58 pm »
Hi,

A double pointed ladder would do away with the top limpets.

Kevin windolene.