Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Where have I gone wrong?
« on: March 20, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
I think I must be over pricing myself as I have just had a leaflet pushed through my front door by a competitor.

In a 5 bed house, second staircase to carpeted attic, all my rugs(if I had any) and my 3 piece suite for the incredible price of.........but wait, there is no cutting of corners. The price includes :-
vacuum of all carpets
pre-spray with anti-bacterial and dust mite chemicals
shampoo and clean all carpets including de-odourizing
post spray with carpet fibre protector
all rugs cleaned FREE
all stains removed
fully insured
no extra charge for weekend and out of hours
professional and experienced staff
all items dry in 30 minutes.

And my satisfaction guaranteed because the price is .........£135!!!!

All advice as to what I should do to stop me loosing all my customers will be greatfully received!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Mike Halliday

Re: Where have I gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:04:07 pm »
get some leaflets printed just the same but put your price at £99. that'll show him :D :D

or just ignore it ;)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:07:40 pm »
Just realised you lot might think I was being serious with the original post.I wasn't.

My tongue is so firmly in my cheek it's punching a hole through to the other side.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Helen

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »
We had something similar yesterday.
Their usual price would be £180 for a 3+2 seater but with this special offer it will be £90.
Thier usual carpet price works out at £4/m BUT with this special offer they'll do it at about £2/m
Claim they have charged these prices for 28 days previously >:(

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:34:04 pm »
Doc I think you need to stop drinking the chemicals mate. ::)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

markpowell

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:13:37 pm »
Look at what i am up against, to be honest these muppets dont make any difference to us at all.
yes thats right a 3pc suite and every carpet in your 3 bedroom house for £70

Kev Loomes

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
The trouble is some of these micky mouse outfits either do it part time or cash in hand only (so the custy hasnt got the chance to cancel a cheque cos of poor workmanship ::)).

This has a long lasting effect on our industry because when these cheap and NOT cheerful individuals disappear others take their place, its the public who then percieve cleaning as a cheap service and that anyone who charges more must be ripping them off.

Its sad but happens all over the UK.

Try not to lose sleep over it because when they do such a dire job, next time the custy may hire a better company for better rates and get a better job in return.

Kev

p.s. Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying this company is bad - I dont know them! Also Im sure there are the odd company that do a great job for what's percieved as 'cheap' (they have their reasons for doing this). JEEZ being politically correct can be a pain in the ar*e!

lands

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »
This is why something needs to change and we have the power to do this if we feel that strongly about it. With an organisation that has the power to lobby the right people in the right way and has all the right credentials (which can be self implied) we may be able to regulate this industry ourselves.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this could be brought about? I know some do. Would be good to get some feedback on this from people who are willing to contribute.

spencer davies

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:51:45 pm »
I had a customer that told me recently that we were 'reassuringly expensive' as she had previously experienced a leaflet boy that cleaned her three piece suite in eighteen minutes!! For the princely sum of twenty three pounds.  ???

Regards

S

dan roberts

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:29:39 pm »
Pricing jobs is difficult, I personally dont have a strict pricing structure, it fluctuates with the seasons, the area, the job, the accessability and the expectations, BUT, I always charge a price that is fair to the customer, and, more importantly isn't selling myself cheaply, it needs to be a little bit pricey to reflect your trade and training and outlay.
Its also all about your personality and the customer being able to trust you and your knowledge and trusting you in their home and with their possesions.
Cheap prices looks like desperation, face it, and cheap prices always means inferior goods, although we have all been lured into the dark side of cheap products, there is always a price to pay, and that is a SHI# PRODUCT.

Dan
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:43 am »
There are guys round here who advertise will not be beaten on price.

I do not think they are mickey mouse outfits

The other day I qouted a five bed house  i think i qouted  £200 plus their price £99
I eventually got the job but not for price I wanted but more than £99

The Carpet Man (1989) Ltd.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:43:54 am »
The other day I qouted a five bed house  i think i qouted  £200 plus their price £99
I eventually got the job but not for price I wanted but more than £99

£299 to clean a 5-bed house is way too cheap. Take into consideration your entire overheads, running costs, depreciation on your machinery etc and you wont have alot left. Of course, it depends on which area you are living and whether you are a 'one man band' or employ qualified technicians. We would have charged around £550 - £800 depending on quality & condition of carpeting.
The Carpet Man Ltd.   Est. 1989    thecarpetman@inbox.com
Suppliers, Master Carpet Fitters & Rejuvinators of Fine Carpeting
Traditional hand sewing, technical border work & advanced cleaning systems

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:34 am »
I had a customer that told me recently that we were 'reassuringly expensive' as she had previously experienced a leaflet boy that cleaned her three piece suite in eighteen minutes!! For the princely sum of twenty three pounds.  ???

Regards

S

Maybe you need a voucher on leaflets/cards to play on that angle .......

spencer davies

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:01:04 am »
Stella 'wife beater' Artois as a Solicitor mate of mine describes it, I could be a good angle though.

I can't say I have ever heard of someone charging £800 for a five bedroomed house though, we work in some very exclusive areas.  ???

Regards

S

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:05:28 am »
Charged £846.46 to protect new carpets in empty 5 bedroom house a fortnight ago  ;D .......... that was with 20% volume discount  :o

Astonished at how big some bedrooms can be  ::)

Did clean 6 bed in Sunningdale last year for £900 empty ............ by sq metre, it don't take long to add up. This was for customer downsizing from 7 bed in Putney Heath  ;)

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 10:32:27 am »

I can't say I have ever heard of someone charging £800 for a five bedroomed house though, we work in some very exclusive areas.  ???

Hi, I did say between £550 - £800......and yes, these are the normal figures that we charge, although most of our clients have very expensive carpeting that requires TLC (not to mention their furniture)  :o

Kev Loomes

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 01:10:25 pm »
I guess it depends on how big the 5 bed property was! there are small, med and massive! so this price doesnt seem extortionate if it was a rather large place ;)

Hey Carpet man, just out of interest how come you dont advertise carpet cleaning on your website? http://www.thecarpetmanltd.co.uk/ I presume this is you - or am I wrong? Just thought you could be missing out on some sales.....?

Cheers

Kev

markpowell

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 05:49:01 pm »
I would charge on average £300 for a 5 bed house clean. My van and all equipment is paid for we hardly advertise most work is repeat and referralls i have a small mortgage and the work would take 5 hours or so.
I think £300 is a good days pay, maybe it is because im a northerner if i was to quote £900.00 i would be out of work.
Good on you guys that can charge these prices tho, well done ;)
Mark

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 05:55:01 pm »
Hey Carpet man, just out of interest how come you dont advertise carpet cleaning on your website? http://www.thecarpetmanltd.co.uk/ I presume this is you - or am I wrong? Just thought you could be missing out on some sales.....?

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev, this is not us (but I wish it was)........ no, we don't have a web site, in fact we are very old fashioned still, haven't moved with the times, but some people like that.   :)